Best case for Nexus 5?

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for suggestions for a case for my nexus 5. I hear the bumper sold in the Google play store isn't very good.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: best case for nexus 5?

I'm looking for suggestions for a case for my nexus 5. I hear the bumper sold in the Google play store isn't very good.

Looking forward to hearing some suggestions.

Thanks

I have the Spigen Slim Armor case and it is fantastic. It gives premium protection without making it very bulky. It does add some thickness, but the material has a good feel and great protection. I have used many cases for many devices and it is by far the best I have used. It's about 20 bucks from Amazon.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I went to my local T Mobile and purchased the red Tech 21 case. One of the best cases I have ever owned.

PROS:
- great protection for the phone
- slim fitting and feels good in the hand
- Looks nice on the phone

CONS:
- none yet :)

Impact Lab Page title

therealmatt84

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I have the tech21 case and a ringke slim. I prefer the slim as it retains the design of the nexus and keeps the camera safe though don't expect it to protect from a drop much. The tech21 case is really nice but adds a considerable amount of bulk and the buttons were pretty hard to press for me.

Posted via Android Central App

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

I used a Spigen Neo Hybrid for a few months, but ultimately felt like it added too much bulk. I just switched to the clear Spigen Slim case, and I like it a lot more. It's a lot less bulky than the Neo Hybrid, but still protects the phone on all sides. Plus it's clear so I get to see the Nexus logo on the back.

Amazon.com: [+Screen Protector] [360? PROTECTION] Spigen Google Nexus 5 Case Slim [Ultra Fit] [Crystal Shell] Premium *Japanese* Screen Protector Included + All Around Protection Premium Clear Hard Case - ECO-Friendly Packaging - Crystal Shell (SGP10

My wife uses the Spigen Slim case, but not the clear one. Oddly enough, that one does not cover the top or bottom of the phone.

EDIT: I will add that I dropped my phone once (from about 3.5-4 feet) in a parking lot with the Neo Hybrid case on, and the case did its job perfectly. No damage at all to the phone. So despite the bulk, it protects the phone well and does have a stylish design. I just got tired of the bulk eventually.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

I have a couple.. Diztronic TPU, cruzerlite bug Droid TPU, and just got (literally today) cruzerlite spiforce. I like all equally well and it really depends on my mood. My initial reaction to the spiforce is that I wish it were more tacky. I bought it because the other two are a little slick for my hands. But they are great cases and the Diztronic keeps almost the original form of the phone. But, a little smooth or soft to touch, which is slick for me. Especially in dry Winter climate.

Now, as a testament to the Diztronic and bug Droid, I've dropped the phone several times in each case from about 3-4ft to wood floors and both cases protected the phone. No scratches or dings or dents or cracks (knock on wood). Mostly knocked the phone off my bedside stand or fumble from my pocket or lap when sitting. But this tpu cases do work well despite being very minimal.

I use to swear by otterbox when I had an iPhone, but I bought all three of these cases for a total cost less then what I would pay for one otterbox... And they work! Oh, and all three work with wireless charging.

Nexus 7 Grouper
SlimROM

TWISM

May 29, 2011
Visit site

I use the poetic bumper and a spigen slim case. I really like the bumper as it just covers the outside edges of the phone.

flipped4dinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

I have the Spigen Slim Armor case and it is fantastic. It gives premium protection without making it very bulky. It does add some thickness, but the material has a good feel and great protection. I have used many cases for many devices and it is by far the best I have used. It's about 20 bucks from Amazon.

+1 for the Spigen Slim Armor. I've dropped my phone 3 times and no damage each time.

Shocktribe

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't say it adds a lot of bulk, but that's going to be pretty subjective. It's not the slimmest case out there, but with the faux leather back, I don't think it's intended to be. $9 is pretty cheap on eBay (free shipping)--you could wait to see if it drops down to $5 again. Either way, if you don't like it, at least you didn't blow $30 on it!

Also, check out their carbon fiber cases--also nice looking! https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...Cell_Phone_PDA_Cases&var=&hash=item3cdb8e2371

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site

Haha I did a bit of research and found some videos of the case. Imo they look pretty bulky. I've somewhat grown akin to the slimness of the n5 now :( gonna be hard finding a case that'll work for me now.

anon(8538034)

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

Hey, I know this thread is 2 weeks old, I'm just curious, I'm currently using Spigen Neo Hybrid but I think it's too bulky. Is it as bulky as Neo Hybrid and want to replace it with Slim Armor? Or it's much slimmer?

My Nexus 5 is a caffeine.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

Wait I'm confused, isn't it the other way around for the spigen cases? The Neo Hybrid is slimmer than the Slim Armor. Slim Armor has dual layer whereas the neo hybrid doesn't. So.... how can it be bulkier than the one with the dual layer?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Wait I'm confused, isn't it the other way around for the spigen cases? The Neo Hybrid is slimmer than the Slim Armor. Slim Armor has dual layer whereas the neo hybrid doesn't. So.... how can it be bulkier than the one with the dual layer?

Neo hybrid is thinner but slight wider than the Slim Armor. I struggle with my purchase with slim armor because I wanted a narrower profile but found AC Forums the Neo hybrid is wider.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site

I see. I have the Neo Hybrid right now and I just purchased the red slim armor case. There's only three things I don't like about the Neo Hybrid, 1 is that the back gets a lot of finger prints and marks on it, 2 it's sort of slippery, 3 it's super hard to take off.

So I'm going to give the slim armor a try soon when it ships.

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I've got the Sedio Dilex ("active") case and it's a little bulky but very well protected. I like the way it works but the rubber is kind of annoying at times because it sticks to my pocket basically turning my pocket almost inside out when I take it out and it's difficult to "slide" back into my pocket.

I would love to have something with this protection that's a little less "sticky".