which magnetic car mount would you get????????

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
**update 2**

so i received the cd slot mount and it's a huge disappointment. i cannot recommend this product due to the weak magnetic force. With a name like Magneto, you'd think the magnetic charge is strong enough to hold a nexus 5. nope, it's soooo weak. at first, i thought maybe it had to do with the skin i have on. so i removed it and it didn't make a big enough difference. oh, and it definitely cannot hold the nexus 7. i am returning this product.

**update**
alright guys, i placed the order for the magnetos universal cd slot mount (same as infinitiapp but cheaper) yesterday and it's been delivered to my house already. As soon as i get home tonight, i'll rip that sucker open and do a quick little review.

so i can't wait for the indiegogo's magnetic/wireless charging dock i ordered. i need something for now.

i'm stuck between two choices and i'd appreciate some input from people with car mounts (i never had one). both are magnetic but they are mounted differently.

choice 1:
InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones
Amazon.com: InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount: Cell Phones & Accessories
pro: this one is pretty cool because you utilize the cd slot and the way my car's dash is setup, the location is ideal.
possible con: just by looking at the pics, i can tell the neck of this mount is the weak point. i plan on using this mount for both my n5 and n7 so i'm not sure if it can handle the weight of my n7.

choice 2:
Nite Ize STCK-11-R8 Steelie Car Mount Kit for Cellphones
Amazon.com: Nite Ize STCK-11-R8 Steelie Car Mount Kit for Cellphones - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
pro: takes up very little space and it looks so clean compared to all the other car mounts.
possible con: not sure if it'll work with my n7 due to nite ize's design.

anybody have experience with either mounts? better yet, if you know something that's even better, let me know.

ps
it turns out infinityapp (choice #1) is just a generic design which is sold under many alias'. i just found another one (same design just different name/logo) for $17. it's called
Magnetos Universal CD Slot Magnetic Cradle-less Smartphone Car Mount.

Last edited:

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the recommendation but the mount must be magnetic. ease of use is number 1 priority here; plus, i need to be able to use my nexus 7 with it as well.

niyohn

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the iMagnet Mount (Amazon.com: iMagnet Cradle-less Universal Phone Mount with Quick-snap Technology, One Hand Smartphone Car Windshield Dashboard Mount Holder for iPhone 4S/5, Galaxy S4/S3/S2, Blackberry Bold, Note 2, Android HTC One: Cell Phones & Accessories), it can hold my Samsung Note 3 no problem with a thin plastic case. I was not used to it at first because it was so hard to pull off, but I got used to it after a week. The thing about these magnetic mounts, it highly depends on the case you are using. If you use a thin case, then it will hold your phone. But if your case is thick, the distance from the magnet to the metal disc is a little more than usual, and the strength of the hold weakens exponentially. I had a thick case for my Note 3 that was no good, so I had to buy a thinner case.

Another alternative is that you can place the thin metal disc inside the battery case, and i found that pretty sleek if you don't mind not having a case on your phone.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I actually just ordered the InfiniApps Slyde last night. Should arrive by Friday. I'll update with how I like it once it comes in.

Edit: It came in last night, I installed it this morning. My first impression in taking it out of the box is that it feels very solid and well built. The magnet stuck to my N5 very well, even with a Spigen hybrid case on. I turned it upside-down, shook it, and it stuck on there no problem.

Installation was pretty easy, though I kind of felt like I was going to break the CD slot. Not that I would really be disappointed by that, as I haven't actually played a CD in a few years. But it held my phone on there no problem, despite a bumpy ride due to snow/ice on the roads. I'm happy with it so far.

Last edited:

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I actually just ordered the InfiniApps Slyde last night. Should arrive by Friday. I'll update with how I like it once it comes in.

i actually ordered the magneto cd slot mount last night. it was cheaper and looked exactly like the infiniapps version. i'll do the same once i receive it thursday.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
yea, i saw your post and that's what convinced me to buy the indiegogo air dock. this is just my temporary solution until i get the air dock in april.

I'm also curious how well the Air Dock will work with the Nexus 5, but that's such a long wait. Also, I still haven't found any better suction options among all the many car mounts out there. Most of them are the regular type of suction which works great on windows, but I needed something that sticks well on my dashboard; something that I could just stick on there and leave it and never have to worry about it coming loose. The reason I went with Arkon is because of the sticky suction they developed. I haven't seen other mounts do this yet.

It looks like the Air Dock uses a ball mount and I wonder if it's the same as the Arkon type, which is based on the Tom Tom ball mount. If it's the same, I would possibly consider buying just the charger portion of the Air Dock and put that on the Arkon mount to go on the dashboard. We'll see after April if they ever have that option.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
alright guys, i placed the order for the magnetos universal cd slot mount yesterday and it's been delivered to my house already. As soon as i get home tonight, i'll rip that sucker open and do quick little review.

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
part of the reason why i purchased this. my dash is not smooth so those suction things won't work.

That's why I went with the Arkon sticky suction because that's the only kind of suction that will seem to work on my curved and not completely smooth dash.

But I see you posted below about getting the CD slot mount, so I'm guessing you'll be attaching the Air Dock to the CD slot mount?

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
**update 2**

so i received the cd slot mount and it's a huge disappointment. i cannot recommend this product due to the weak magnetic force. With a name like Magneto, you'd think the magnetic charge is strong enough to hold a nexus 5. nope, it's soooo weak. at first, i thought maybe it had to do with the skin i have on. so i removed it and it didn't make a big enough difference. oh, and it definitely cannot hold the nexus 7. i am returning this product.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
**update 2**

Sounds like the InfiniApps Slyde might be worth the few extra bucks. I updated my post above with my impressions of it, and the magnet is definitely strong.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like the InfiniApps Slyde might be worth the few extra bucks. I updated my post above with my impressions of it, and the magnet is definitely strong.

this must be the reason it's couple of bucks cheaper. great name (magneto), just doesn't live up to it's name.

i ordered another magnetic mount called "Steelie". It's by a company called nite ize. seems promising.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
this must be the reason it's couple of bucks cheaper. great name (magneto), just doesn't live up to it's name.

i ordered another magnetic mount called "Steelie". It's by a company called nite ize. seems promising.

Any update on this one?

Sent from my Nexus 5

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Any update on this one?

Sent from my Nexus 5

yes, i do. i completely forgot about this post.

the steelie magnetic ball mount is great! i've been using it for the past three weeks (daily) and it's been performing flawlessly. the force is strong with this one. the way the magnet snaps when you place the device close to each other is satisfying. it tells you, "hey, i got this" with the utmost confidence. just for reference, my car shakes, rattles, and vibrates at all rpm. plus, my suspension is stiff enough to snap your back in half on your way to the groceries. this is not being used on some plush, luxury car that rides as if it's floating on air. if it can handle my car, it can handle pretty much 99.99% of everybody's needs. last week when it was pouring buckets here in s. california, i ran over a huge pot hole traveling at 40 mph (couldn't see it in time to react). i swear i though my wheel was bent or perhaps blew a tire because thats how jarring the impact was. luckily no damage was done to my car and on top of that, my nexus 7 was sitting pretty on my dash. it didn't even move an inch after such impact.

the installation is fairly easy and straight forward. my dash is not smooth, its textured so i had to used the primer (supplied with steelie). the trick is to let it (primer) dry before applying the mount to the surface.

i highly recommend this product. It's strong enough to hold the nexus 7 and because of the way it's designed, you can get very creative with the mounting point. i'll post pictures of my setup tomorrow.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It looks like the Air Dock uses a ball mount and I wonder if it's the same as the Arkon type, which is based on the Tom Tom ball mount. If it's the same, I would possibly consider buying just the charger portion of the Air Dock and put that on the Arkon mount to go on the dashboard. We'll see after April if they ever have that option.

The AirDock is a 17mm ball mount. I don't know if that the same size as Arkon and TomTom....