Nexus 5: finger proof resistant screen protector?

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Can someone point me in the right direction? I bought a cheap set off Amazon and I think it causes more finger prints than the bare screen.

Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: finger proof resistant screen protector?

Can someone point me in the right direction? I bought a cheap set off Amazon and I think it causes more finger prints than the bare screen.

Thanks

Most of the GLASS screen protectors have "Oleophobic Coating" which keeps fingerprints to a minnium. I use the iLoome Tempered Glass protector and I think its very good. There are YouTube videos if you want to check out iLoome protectors

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

Most of the GLASS screen protectors have "Oleophobic Coating" which keeps fingerprints to a minnium. I use the iLoome Tempered Glass protector and I think its very good. There are YouTube videos if you want to check out iLoome protectors

Are these expensive and hard to apply? The reason I went cheap is I'm not very good at applying them.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Are these expensive and hard to apply? The reason I went cheap is I'm not very good at applying them.

Yes their kinda expensive( average about $40, but Amazon has them for $25), but easy to install if you take your time.....IMO. The protector does all the work with self adhearing technology

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

+1 for a glass protector. I used to use a plastic protector from Screen Knight, an excellent make. However, I had to purchase two of them, because I messed up the installation of the first one.

I have now replaced the plastic one with a protector, which was not much more expensive. My make is Mocolo (?9, about $15), but there are other good makes such as Anker (a bit more expensive, but thinner). The glass protector was significantly easier to install than the plastic one — but beware that you must get it exactly right the first time, as you cannot reposition it once you have placed it on the phone. (Well, you can, but at a serious loss of quality.)

I am dead pleased with the glass protector. Not only is it tough (hardness rating 8–9, in order to protect the device's glass), but also its oleophobic coating reduces the effects of fingerprints. The feel is perfect: smooth, virtually frictionless, and accepts the lightest touch. Much better than the plastic protectors.

Amazon and eBay are two obvious places to search for tempered glass oleophobic protector. If you do purchase one, the toughest are rated 8–9 (usually advertised simply as 9). The thinnest are around 0.2mm; mine is 0.3mm.

I would advise that you also get a device cover. The glass protects your screen, while the device cover buffers your phone. Combined, they make good protection against accidental dropping.

Last edited:

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

Out of curiosity, which brand did you buy? Spigen made my favorite anti-fingerprint screen protectors but they do not have one for the Nexus 5, so I am also looking for one.

When searching for it, be sure to add "MATTE" to the search as many cheap screen protectors will say "antifingerprint" while still being a standard screen protector. I was thinking about Anker's option, but I'm extremely hesitant to throw money at an unproven solution.

Paddy Landau

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

Out of curiosity, which brand did you buy?
Search eBay, using "Nexus 5" (with the quotes) in the search bar. For example:

tempered glass protector "nexus 5"

I found a few by Spigen for the Nexus 5.

There are several makes, but not many that are both reasonably priced and good quality. When I searched for mine, I looked for hardness rating 8?9, thickness 0.3mm or less, rounded ("3D") edges, and a reliable seller. Other threads have praised the Anker; mine is the Mocolo (cheaper and thicker) and it's just perfect for me.

When searching for it, be sure to add "MATTE" to the search as many cheap screen protectors will say "antifingerprint" while still being a standard screen protector.
Mine is glossy, not matte, and I'm happy that it is. I wouldn't want matte. It has an oleophobic coating, which works well. I tend to have cream on my hands much of the time (I have eczema), and yet the screen is not bad. It was an ongoing problem with my old plastic protector. For normal hands it should be near-perfect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781