Some small questions regarding rooting

TheEijk

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've been an iOS user for several years now, but since I updated to iOS 7 iOS doesn't look as good anymore as it used to be. Besides, iOS got a little bit boring to me (with a lack of a better word) so I decided to move to Android. I was looking for a nice priced phone with good specs, and found out the Nexus 5 will suit all my needs. I'm kind of a tech fan, so I think there's a huge change I'm going to root the device in future.
In my country there's an old saying 'a job well deceived is a job half done', and since my Nexus (hopefully) will be delivered next week, I think it's a good time to start asking questions about rooting. When you answer, please keep in mind I'm totally new to Android.

1. What are the risks rooting a Nexus 5?
  2. I read somewhere that unlocking the bootloader is a security risk. Should I unlock the bootloader right after is arrives, even if I don't want to root it immediately?
  3. Can I lock the bootloader after rooting?
  4. What is the best custom recovery menu?
  5. Any other things/tips I should know before/about rooting?
  6. What apps that need root access do you use a lot?

I already searched the web about some of these questions, but some answers vary per person.
I'm sorry for grammar mistakes, English isn't my native language.

Thanks in advance!
The Eijk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums and welcome to Android!

With such a popular device you're in luck as there are some really great tools to help with backing up, unlocking, and rooting your device.

One of my favorites is Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit as he's included the important options and made everything easy.
Capture.PNG
I've used this toolkit on a soft-bricked Nexus 5 and it worked with aplomb and without flaw. I'm a TWRP fan but mainly because that's what I have experience with.

TheEijk

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok. All my questions are answered some way or another, but the question about locking the bootloader after rooting. Can I safely leave it unlocked after I've rooted it?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Ok. All my questions are answered some way or another, but the question about locking the bootloader after rooting. Can I safely leave it unlocked after I've rooted it?

You can safely leave it unlocked and use the Nexus Root Toolkit to relock it when/if you need.

ogP

Kayone73

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've been an iOS user for several years now, but since I updated to iOS 7 iOS doesn't look as good anymore as it used to be. Besides, iOS got a little bit boring to me (with a lack of a better word) so I decided to move to Android. I was looking for a nice priced phone with good specs, and found out the Nexus 5 will suit all my needs. I'm kind of a tech fan, so I think there's a huge change I'm going to root the device in future.
In my country there's an old saying 'a job well deceived is a job half done', and since my Nexus (hopefully) will be delivered next week, I think it's a good time to start asking questions about rooting. When you answer, please keep in mind I'm totally new to Android.

1. What are the risks rooting a Nexus 5?
  2. I read somewhere that unlocking the bootloader is a security risk. Should I unlock the bootloader right after is arrives, even if I don't want to root it immediately?
  3. Can I lock the bootloader after rooting?
  4. What is the best custom recovery menu?
  5. Any other things/tips I should know before/about rooting?
  6. What apps that need root access do you use a lot?

I already searched the web about some of these questions, but some answers vary per person.
I'm sorry for grammar mistakes, English isn't my native language.

Thanks in advance!
The Eijk

1. Risks are low for rooting a Nexus 5, rooting in itself does no harm to phone. But it gives you the freedom to do things that can really screw up your phone if you don't research carefully.

2. Unlocking the bootloader is a security risk, but ita necessary in order to root or flash custom recovery.

3. Best custom recovery is subjective but most ppl prefer TWRP

4. You can relock the bootloader but you will have to do a complete wipe of your phone in the process and undo all the mods you've done

5. Apps that use root access regularly : Titanium Backup is one of the most useful

Also if you unlock your bootloader, do it As soon as possible before you install apps, music, videos etc. The unlocking process does a total wipe of all system and media files on your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2