Why is the nexus 5 so hard to root? (Solved)

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I thought the whole appeal of the nexus was that it is easy to root. But this is one of the most annoying root experiences I have ever dealt with on an Android device.

I have 4.4.2 (OTA)
I am unlocked (at least that part was easy)
I have Android SDK installed.
USB Debugging is on
I have CWM installed (most current one, touch version)

CWM told me it was rooting it on reboot...still no root. Tried installing SU ZIP...it won't install. Any ideas?

Last edited:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why is the nexus 5 so hard to root?

I think I solved my own problem. I downloaded the ZIP from several different sources, but I think they all might have been the same file and it was corrupted.

I used the one at the following link and it worked.

UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.80

Source website: [GUIDE] Nexus 5 - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root - xda-developers

glad u figured it out.. Here is the download straight from the developer. download.chainfire.eu/supersu

Rooting Nexus is easy (compared to other devices where OEM block any rooting methods) but the steps to root are not that easy.. there are all in one root method.

Its much more simple on mac.. 20 steps on PC is only 5 steps on mac

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why is the nexus 5 so hard to root?

where are the specific instructions for rooting if you are on a mac?
This is the easiest method to follow if you are using a Mac and want root: [Nexus 5] CF-Auto-Root - xda-developers

If you want to do it manually follow this guide: [GUIDE] Nexus 5 - How to Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery and Root - xda-developers

Since you are on a Mac, you'll need not to worry about drivers and will need to include ./ (period forward slash) before every line command.