[GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My phone suddenly switches off and when I try to boot it then it either gets stuck at the google logo or loads normally. It kept happening so I tried the recovery mode and cleared the cache.But my phone is still responding in the same manner, it either hangs and switches off and then hangs at the google logo when turned on or works normally for sometime and switches off.

Try a reset in recovery. See if that will help.

123tomi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I need help! I have a Nexus 5 rooted. It randomly started updating while I was browsing in chrome. I wasn't really paying attention and resulted in no phone/internet. I decided to try to reflash my ROM. Thinking thats where it went wrong but when I try to go into recovery mode, I do not make it past the blue teamwin screen. I am trying to figure out how to go back to stock but not sure what went wrong. I've been looking online for fixes about a week and am now completely confused. I think it could be an issue with the cache partition i'm not really sure.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? PLEASE!!!!!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I need help! I have a Nexus 5 rooted. It randomly started updating while I was browsing in chrome. I wasn't really paying attention and resulted in no phone/internet. I decided to try to reflash my ROM. Thinking thats where it went wrong but when I try to go into recovery mode, I do not make it past the blue teamwin screen. I am trying to figure out how to go back to stock but not sure what went wrong. I've been looking online for fixes about a week and am now completely confused. I think it could be an issue with the cache partition i'm not really sure.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? PLEASE!!!!!
Check out YouTube for videos on how to reflash stock ROMs for the Nexus 5. You are going to have to set up your PC and it might take some time.

123tomi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi Golfdriver,

Thanks for the advice. I tried to reflash stock ROM. Followed all the directions. Downloaded drivers, plugged in phone but no luck. I just kept getting the message "not recognized as internal/external command, operable program or batch file." I'm a noob but I followed all the directions to a T.

So, because I am desperately frustrated and don't know how to fix, I am going to give a rundown of what seems to be happening with my phone and plead for help!
I was using my phone and the next thing I know it starts updating. I didn't think anything of it because I hadn't had a rooted device in a long time. I was just assuming the new Google lollipop update was pushing through. I put the phone down. Came back an hour later panicked (and rightly so) remembering that I had rooted and was using KandyKat. NOW: I can start the phone. It will start up and take me through set up. It does not connect to my network. Wifi connection does work and the some apps are installed and functional (gmail, people, browser). camera, gallary, Playstore will open and let me browse but as soon as I try to download anything it fails and I get the a message: No external storage available. When I try to go into recovery, it loads the black screen with the white google written across. Then it goes to the teamwin screen and stays there.

I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but nothing seems to match what is going on with my phone. I was just trying to do a recovery but cannot get to the recovery screen. HELP!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Golfdriver,

Thanks for the advice. I tried to reflash stock ROM. Followed all the directions. Downloaded drivers, plugged in phone but no luck. I just kept getting the message "not recognized as internal/external command, operable program or batch file." I'm a noob but I followed all the directions to a T.

So, because I am desperately frustrated and don't know how to fix, I am going to give a rundown of what seems to be happening with my phone and plead for help!
I was using my phone and the next thing I know it starts updating. I didn't think anything of it because I hadn't had a rooted device in a long time. I was just assuming the new Google lollipop update was pushing through. I put the phone down. Came back an hour later panicked (and rightly so) remembering that I had rooted and was using KandyKat. NOW: I can start the phone. It will start up and take me through set up. It does not connect to my network. Wifi connection does work and the some apps are installed and functional (gmail, people, browser). camera, gallary, Playstore will open and let me browse but as soon as I try to download anything it fails and I get the a message: No external storage available. When I try to go into recovery, it loads the black screen with the white google written across. Then it goes to the teamwin screen and stays there.

I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong place but nothing seems to match what is going on with my phone. I was just trying to do a recovery but cannot get to the recovery screen. HELP!

You might need to reflash stock images through ADB. I am not very proficient with this, however, there are many YouTube videos on how to do this.

jkarg00

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I attempted to unroot my phone with kingo and it will not fully reboot, it is stuck on the red green blue and yellow dots that circle around.
Nexus 5 stock, just rooted and Selinux(sp?) set to permissive, nothing special besides that done to it.
I can get in to stock recovery, I wiped the cache and even attempted a factory reset, still nothing but rotating dots, I let it sit almost 24 hrs and it doesn't change.
Any suggestions?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I attempted to unroot my phone with kingo and it will not fully reboot, it is stuck on the red green blue and yellow dots that circle around.
Nexus 5 stock, just rooted and Selinux(sp?) set to permissive, nothing special besides that done to it.
I can get in to stock recovery, I wiped the cache and even attempted a factory reset, still nothing but rotating dots, I let it sit almost 24 hrs and it doesn't change.
Any suggestions?

You might have to consider reflashing the stock images through either a toolkit or ADB.

jkarg00

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried the factory image off googles site, I keep getting e:footer is wrong, e:signature verification,
failed
should I be side loading the .tar instead of the .tgz?

Jyothsna Rengarajan

Feb 8, 2017
Visit site
Rebooting into recovery can be useful. Sometimes you get caught in a bootloop, sometimes it is just good to use for other activities that can be done through the UI, but as always, it is good to know more than one way to interact with your phone.

Recovery is for what?

Simplest answer, recovery can be used to clear the device cache, sideloading updates, factory resets, etc.

I will show how to boot into stock recovery, and how to do a simple task, like clearing the device's cache. This exercise will give practice on booting into recovery, and allow you to perform an action that is NOT detrimental to the device.

[INFO]In fact, clearing the device's cache is actually something that should be done after an update.[/INFO]

Volume buttons navigate through choices, and power accepts.

1. Power off the device.

2. Hold both volume buttons and the power button. When you feel the vibrate, release.

3. You will see the Android logo laying on his back with his chest panel open, along with the device info and options.
View attachment 106303
The home screen for rebooting into recovery.

4. Use the Volume rockers to navigate to Recovery Mode
View attachment 106304
This is after pressing volume down a few times. Click Power to accept

5. Once there, you will see No Command. Press and hold Power and click volume up like you want your music to go up one increment.
View attachment 106305

6. You will then be shifted to the Recovery screen.

7. Use the volume Rockers to navigate to what you would like to do, and power accepts the selection. Use the rockers to go to 'Clear Cache Partition'.
View attachment 106306
Click Power to accept.

8. To reboot, click reboot system now.
View attachment 106307
The option you need to get back into your device normally.

I have cleared cache several times on my Nexus 5, and each instance takes between 5 and 10 minutes.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Hi,

I am not able to turn my phone on, al LC of a sudden it got off on its own and whenever i try to start it, it vibrates - google comes amd keeps flickering.

What if i boot, will it work? will i loose my data if i reboot?

Thank you.

Jyothsna Rengarajan

Feb 8, 2017
Visit site
Rebooting into recovery can be useful. Sometimes you get caught in a bootloop, sometimes it is just good to use for other activities that can be done through the UI, but as always, it is good to know more than one way to interact with your phone.

Recovery is for what?

Simplest answer, recovery can be used to clear the device cache, sideloading updates, factory resets, etc.

I will show how to boot into stock recovery, and how to do a simple task, like clearing the device's cache. This exercise will give practice on booting into recovery, and allow you to perform an action that is NOT detrimental to the device.

[INFO]In fact, clearing the device's cache is actually something that should be done after an update.[/INFO]

1. Power off the device.

2. Hold both volume buttons and the power button. When you feel the vibrate, release.

3. You will see the Android logo laying on his back with his chest panel open, along with the device info and options.
View attachment 106303

View attachment 106304

5. Once there, you will see No Command. Press and hold Power and click volume up like you want your music to go up one increment.
View attachment 106305

7. Use the volume Rockers to navigate to what you would like to do, and power accepts the selection. Use the rockers to go to 'Clear Cache Partition'.
View attachment 106306
Click Power to accept.

View attachment 106307

I have cleared cache several times on my Nexus 5, and each instance takes between 5 and 10 minutes.

Hi,

I am not able to start my phone , all of a sudden it got off on its own and whenever i try to start it, it vibrates - google comes amd keeps flickering.

Thank you.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I am not able to start my phone , all of a sudden it got off on its own and whenever i try to start it, it vibrates - google comes amd keeps flickering.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums. You may need to consider reflashing the stock ROM. Have you tried a reset? Either way you will probably lose your data.

Rudresh J S

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site

Recovery is for what?

1. Power off the device.

View attachment 106303

View attachment 106304

View attachment 106305

View attachment 106306
Click Power to accept.

View attachment 106307

Hello,

I am using Nexus 5X from last one year, it was good. But 4 days back it got shutdown by showing 'Google' icon at the end, after that I tried all the ways to turn it on but it is not getting on. Before it was shutdown, battery was completely charged and I need to mention here that day I went for trip, took lot of photos and videos, during camera mode on it got shutdown.

I tried all the way mentioned in this site, keeping charge for longer time and holding Volume down+ Volume Up+ Power button press for some time. Nothing is working for me to turn it on.

In my mobile case, from last 4 days what I observed is, I tried boot loop cache memory clear(Volume down+Volume up+power) steps as you mentioned here, for me it is working till 4th step(recovery mode) after that 'Google' icon is coming on screen(5th step 'no command' option is not showing) and it is shutting down again, no response after that. Once it shutdown like this No response for complete day on screen. If I try any option also nothing response. Once in two day I can try boot loop option once, after that no response.

Please let me know what is the issue with my mobile and how I can resolve the issue. I am trying all the way from last 3 days but no response.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I am using Nexus 5X from last one year, it was good. But 4 days back it got shutdown by showing 'Google' icon at the end, after that I tried all the ways to turn it on but it is not getting on. Before it was shutdown, battery was completely charged and I need to mention here that day I went for trip, took lot of photos and videos, during camera mode on it got shutdown.

I tried all the way mentioned in this site, keeping charge for longer time and holding Volume down+ Volume Up+ Power button press for some time. Nothing is working for me to turn it on.

In my mobile case, from last 4 days what I observed is, I tried boot loop cache memory clear(Volume down+Volume up+power) steps as you mentioned here, for me it is working till 4th step(recovery mode) after that 'Google' icon is coming on screen(5th step 'no command' option is not showing) and it is shutting down again, no response after that. Once it shutdown like this No response for complete day on screen. If I try any option also nothing response. Once in two day I can try boot loop option once, after that no response.

Please let me know what is the issue with my mobile and how I can resolve the issue. I am trying all the way from last 3 days but no response.

Welcome to the forums. You may need to reflash the stock ROM. However, this will most likely wipe the device of all data, causing you to lose your pictures.

You can also try to reflash the stock recovery. That may allow you to complete the cache wipe.