Nexus 5: What ROM for Battery, Speed, and Stablity?

shawn.selig29

May 19, 2013
Visit site
hi guys i finally upgraded my s3 to a nexus 5 :) and im looking around to see what is the best setup for battery/ speed and stability. i currently have my nexus 5 rooted and running stock rom with the franco kernel (default kernel settings) i was on xda looking and it seems the most popular roms are slimkat or Cataclysm. What do you guys think? or is the stock rom with franco kernel the better bet? i just want a stable phone with battery life and speed. Thanks guys!

edit: also i have installed the snapdragon battery saving app, should i keep that or does it do no good?

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: What ROM for Battery and Speed and Stable?

SlimKat is great for battery, but as far as stability nothing will beat the stock ROM. Franco should be enough to improve battery life significantly over the stock kernel

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I agree with UJ95x that SlimKat is a very stable ROM. I have noticed bugs in Slims ROMs but nothing to blow a gasket over. Most are extremely minor. I have not had the opportunity to run stock with Franco, but that is a plan for me. Generally the stock ROM and Franco kernel are a good pairing.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

shawn.selig29

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the replies! would slimkat be better on battery? i had my s3 on quantum and had the odd reboot or so. it didnt bother me. or you guys really think i should stick with stock rom and franco kernel default settings? and its to my understanding that i cant take ota updates now? and is it pointless for me to keep the snapdragon battery saving app on my phone? Thanks for all the help i just dont want to flash everything as it would take me forever.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the replies! would slimkat be better on battery? i had my s3 on quantum and had the odd reboot or so. it didnt bother me. or you guys really think i should stick with stock rom and franco kernel default settings? and its to my understanding that i cant take ota updates now? and is it pointless for me to keep the snapdragon battery saving app on my phone? Thanks for all the help i just dont want to flash everything as it would take me forever.

If you want a lot of customization built into the ROM, Slim is great, but it won't be as stable as stock (still better than any other ROMs I've tried). You can always flash a custom recovery and make a backup of your current ROM and restore it if you don't like Slim

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been running Liquid smooth since Sunday and only had one hiccup, and that was just tonite. I can ask around about the OTA.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Stock ROM with Franco Kernel is a great combination if you are looking for stability, performance and battery improvements. Also, I'd suggest not installing any apps to monitor battery life. Let the OS do that for you and adjust your settings according (sync, screen brightness, etc).

I'm currently using Paranoid with Franco and its a good combination as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

shawn.selig29

May 19, 2013
Visit site
thanks for all replies, i guess from what you guys have been telling me you think i should stay with stock rom and franco kernel (default settings) so i will keep that, and maybe if i get bored someday try slimkat and have a nandroid of my current setup. Great idea! thanks everyone! i will still monitor this thread to see if anyother ideas are mentioned. cheers!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Or do a Nandroid and flash away. Possibilities are so numerous that you might stumble upon one that redefines awesome.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

shawn.selig29

May 19, 2013
Visit site
cool! i just installed twrp 2.7 this am, going to plan on possibly loading slimkat stable 4.4.2 on the phone as i kinda also miss the battery percentage in status bar and the screenshot power menu option. cheers everyone! :)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
cool! i just installed twrp 2.7 this am, going to plan on possibly loading slimkat stable 4.4.2 on the phone as i kinda also miss the battery percentage in status bar and the screenshot power menu option. cheers everyone! :)

Make sure you make a nandroid before flashing away :D

shawn.selig29

May 19, 2013
Visit site
will doo! only thing im debating is should i use the slimkat defualt kernel or load franco or a different one? what are your guys experiences? thanks sooo much!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
will doo! only thing im debating is should i use the slimkat defualt kernel or load franco or a different one? what are your guys experiences? thanks sooo much!

Stock SlimKat kernel is excellent. Not sure of Franco is compatible, but if you must use one, Agni is a good one for Slim. I haven't flashed any

Srinivasa Prabhu

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Shawn, I run Stock with Franco. Its awesome. If you need any customization, Install Xposed. This combination is excellent. I had no problems at all. You would love it!

Aaron Webster

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I am currently running the Android L developer preview with battery saver enabled and it has had the best battery life out of all the ROM's that I have used, I can t wait for the official release. unplugged 12hours ago and I still have 40% battery life left!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol