Noob root upgrade question

DjDATZ

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I feel like a complete noob asking this question, so bare with me! So after searching around a bit (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places or for the wrong things, and if there's a thread on this already please just point me in that direction!), I have yet to find an answer to the following situation:

I rooted my Nexus 5 on 4.4 with NRT, and for the last few months my phone has been telling me that I can upgrade to 4.4.3. If I'm not mistaken, just upgrading unroots it and then to root it successfully again after, you have to wipe it. I'd prefer to avoid the wiping part, at least without being able to do a simple restore of my data.

What do I need to do with NRT to be able to upgrade my Nexus 5? Do I need to un-root it and re-lock it, and then perform the upgrade?

Hopefully it won't take more than a minute or two to answer, and thanks in advance! <3

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome!!

Once rooted you should never accept OTA upgrades. I would normally find an updated ROM and flash that after backing up my apps and data. I'm not sure if this is the same with the Nexus 5 so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I can see if anyone else can chime in :)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
As long as your bootloader is still unlocked you should be able to re-root without wiping. Although I've not personally done it with a toolkit as I prefer using ADB to do it all myself, more reliable in my opinion. Also, I think you mean 4.4.2

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC