Nexus apparently not connecting to Google Account

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 5 suddenly stopped reading my Google Account so that contacts and other data no longer visible on device. Also, Play Store icon no longer connects to Play Store. Suggestions appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you rooted or unrooted? You posted in the "Rooting, Roms, and Hacks" section, which is why I ask.

I assume you've already tried a reboot, correct? Go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account]. Is everything checked there?

See what happens if you boot into Recovery and wipe the cache partition, which won't erase any personal data. This process can take upwards of 10 minutes on a Nexus 5, so be patient: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions.

I do not have a Google account in Settings/Accounts any more... apparently. I have a personal email account and WhatsApp. I have also now 'added' my Gmail account, but it does not show as an option in this Accounts area. Any suggestions how I can reinstate my Google account?

Appreciate the 'clear cache' advice. Tried that, successfully. No change to the absence of Google data connectivity or the ability to load Google Apps.

Many thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say you added your Gmail account, do you mean you went to Settings>Accounts, tapped "+ Add account," and then selected Google, proceeding from there? Or did you just add your Gmail account to the stock Email app?

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes, Settings>Accounts and just added gmail account... hoping that this would allow me to connect with Google server data. Sadly not. How does one add 'Google' when there does not appear to be a facility to do so, may I ask?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you tap Add Account there, one of the selections should be Google. I assume that's how you were adding your Gmail (in other words, your Google account).

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Not so; unfortunately there is no selection for 'Google'. The 'Accounts' listed so far are Email and WhatsApp. In Add Account, I am offered Corporate, Email and WhatsApp. Corporate is looking for an Exchange account with email address; Email is self-explanatory and is where I added my gmail address; and WhatsApp returns a message stating 'WhatsApp is already added'. There is no apparent function to add 'Google' though my gmail is evident in the Email accounts listing. It is syncing regularly but this is not connecting to the larger data - contacts, for example - in my Google account. Any thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to keep asking, but I want to be sure--you're going to the main System Settings menu, then Accounts, right? You're not opening the Email app, then tapping Menu, then Settings, then Accounts, are you?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So what happens if you tap Personal or System?

Also, have you disabled any system apps? Go to Settings>Apps>Disabled, and see if there are any disabled system apps that might have something to do with accounts.

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Success! Disabled App was the problem. Somehow the Google Account Manager App (did not know that there is such an App!) had been disabled, along with 'Face Unlock'! These only visible under All Apps... and then only when you scroll through the lot as they are listed last. As soon as Google Account Manager was enabled, Google reappeared in the 'Accounts' list, Play Store started functioning and I was able to log in successfully.

Really appreciate your guidance and suggestions!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! It's a bit strange, though--my Nexus 5 running 4.4.4 has a separate Disabled list in Settings/Apps. Having Disabled apps at the bottom of the Settings/Apps/All list was on Jellybean, I think. What version are you running?

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any reason you haven't updated to the current 4.4.4? Do you get a system update notification at all, or do you prefer not to update?