Nexus 5 : E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)

Peter Dirken

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Here is the thing : my phone upgraded to Marshmallow, but after that only the infamous Google logo came up.
The phone is not rooted, it is not unlocked and USB debugging has not been enabled (why would I).

I first tried the hard reset, factory wipe, but it gets an error message : E:failed to mount /cache (Invalid argument)

I tried to flash the stock image via ADB via sideload, but since the boot loader is locked and the USB debugging and developer options have not been enabled I am stuck.

Any thoughts? TWRP could be an option?

Peter Dirken

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
No I got no response and my phone is still stuck. All the forums say you need to turn on USB debugging and then connect it to a PC, but of course if you have this message, you can't get into the phone in the first place. Nobody seems to suggest anything useful......what have you tried?

jetbadger

Aug 6, 2018
Visit site
A bit late with this response, but I have just had the same problem with my old nexus 5.
In desperation, I simply tried repeatedly doing a factory reset and on about the third attempt it successfully formatted all three mounts (/system, /data and /cache)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith