The Future of Android M Updates on Nexus Devices

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Sounds similar if not identical to what was announced several years ago. The older statements about 18 months were downgraded to "guidelines" and became relatively meaningless.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Limiting the update would lose the allure of a Nexus device. Since when are these devices obsolete after two years.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Well... Try Lollipop on a 2012 Nexus 7. That hit these devices maybe 2yrs and 4mos after release. Pretty awful - probably has no business running on that hardware.

The first few generations of Nexus only had three factory images meaning they got 2 calendar years only. (initial release = year zero, upgrade 1 at year 1, upgrade 2 at year 2)

Getting updates quickly and undoctored is different than getting the newest updates forever. The latter doesn't exist.

Google is currently doing a lot better than 2yrs and this probably doesn't mean they'll cut off devices at that point in every case. I believe they're saying this is the minimum we can expect.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Well... Try Lollipop on a 2012 Nexus 7. That hit these devices maybe 2yrs and 4mos after release. Pretty awful - probably has no business running on that hardware.

I have a N7 2012, mine runs just fine if not better with lollipop. Not to mention mine is encrypted with no ill affects.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have a N7 2012, mine runs just fine if not better with lollipop. Not to mention mine is encrypted with no ill affects.
Wish I could say the same...

I flashed 5.0 as a factory image so it should have been fresh. 5.1.1 helped but it's still a shadow of its former self.

Last edited:

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Few things about this guaranteed update thing:

1. Guaranteed update is fine, but it won't affect non-Nexus devices, which are by far the majority of devices out on the market.
2. Guaranteed update doesn't mean a fast update. Some devices are still waiting for 5.1.1 update despite the Android One smartphones getting it back in in February...
3. I don't know why Google feel they need to announce this. I thought the assumption was that Nexus devices would get updates and was supposed to get them faster than OEM phones. If they're going to come out and announce this thing, then they better back it up.

5.1.1 release was abysmal, with 3rd party OEM devices getting the update faster than Nexus devices. That's just not acceptable.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Few things about this guaranteed update thing:

1. Guaranteed update is fine, but it won't affect non-Nexus devices, which are by far the majority of devices out on the market.
2. Guaranteed update doesn't mean a fast update. Some devices are still waiting for 5.1.1 update despite the Android One smartphones getting it back in in February...
3. I don't know why Google feel they need to announce this. I thought the assumption was that Nexus devices would get updates and was supposed to get them faster than OEM phones. If they're going to come out and announce this thing, then they better back it up.

5.1.1 release was abysmal, with 3rd party OEM devices getting the update faster than Nexus devices. That's just not acceptable.
I think you mean 5.1.0 for your February timeline and yes, you're lucky to have 5.0 on most handsets. 5.1.1 is a more recent build and it doesn't even exist for the Nexus 6 yet although T-mobile claims some may get it this weekend..

http://www.greenbot.com/article/292...exus-devices-in-busy-android-update-week.html

Really, nothing is any different than it has been for years despite this announcement rumor. If you care one iota about updates you're just foolhardy to buy anything but Nexus. There's always a chance that some oddball device will be timed in such a way that it gets released with the very latest version ahead of a few Nexus devices. We've seen it before. Unfortunately, those devices will likely never get updated again, or perhaps get one buggy update that forces a hardware upgrade for its poor unwitting owner.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I think you mean 5.1.0 for your February timeline and yes

No, I meant 5.1 in February: The Next Android Revision Is Indeed 'Android 5.1 Lollipop', Shipping On Android One Phones, Coming To Nexus Devices

And even Nexus device doesn't mean guaranteed update nor fast update.

I don't get why Apple can say "iOS 8 will be available XXXX" and it's released on all devices on that day, whereas Google can't with their own Nexus devices. I'm just tired of this nonsense. If Google can't release updates on schedule at the same time across all devices similar to what Apple are able to achieve, then they shouldn't announce anything at all.

Last edited:

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I think you meant "yes" and not no. I was suggesting the very same thing in my correction.

5.0 simply wasn't ready. Period. Heck, they're still fixing - 5.1.1 is likely what 5.0 should have been. Delays caused by what must have been huge bugs definitely delayed the release on multiple devices.

I remember having the same thoughts about delays and inconsistent releases late last year. I looked at the huge list of devices now in the Nexus lineup and it occurred to me that they just have a really huge task now.

Perhaps the 2yr mark for new release support will be hard and fast since it would cut down on the work they'd need to invest in older devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek