fingerprint scanner on nexus 2015

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
for anybody that followed along today, you heard android pay discussed a lot, and how fingerprint scanners will be an integral part of android m

as a result, I think it's safe to assume both Nexus devices will have them this year ... it'll be interesting to see how they're integrated without a physical home button

and looks like it'll have USB-C as well. good news, I just hope they don't come with tiny batteries and expect us to believe Project Volta/Doze actually work!

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
for anybody that followed along today, you heard android pay discussed a lot, and how fingerprint scanners will be an integral part of android m

as a result, I think it's safe to assume both Nexus devices will have them this year ... it'll be interesting to see how they're integrated without a physical home button

and looks like it'll have USB-C as well. good news, I just hope they don't come with tiny batteries and expect us to believe Project Volta/Doze actually work!

Maybe it will be in the chin area of the phone? google-io-2015-16.jpg

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to temper my expectations, and I prefer lesser specs in some areas (1080p for example) but I really have my hopes up. Lenovo impressed me today too, so hopefully the Nex and Moto will deliver.

what do u think the chances are of an on-screen fingerprint scanner?

I'd say it is highly likely since Qualcomm has a solution that will be available later this year: Qualcomm unveils its answer to Touch ID: Ultrasonic fingerprint scanning | Ars Technica

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow, let's hope this is Google's approach. It would fit in perfectly with the examples of the scanner shown at I/O. Also, would make the 820 the SoC used in the 2015 Nexus which would follow the Nexus pattern. They've always used the latest and greatest available in Q3/4. Thanks for the link.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
Wow, let's hope this is Google's approach. It would fit in perfectly with the examples of the scanner shown at I/O. Also, would make the 820 the SoC used in the 2015 Nexus which would follow the Nexus pattern. They've always used the latest and greatest available in Q3/4. Thanks for the link.

I'd be very surprised if the next Nexus had an 820. Qualcomm isn't even plan on sampling the chip until this Fall. I bet you won't see it until LG Flex 3, HTC m10, or LG G5 is released next spring. Any Nexus released this Fall will probably have either an 808 or 810 in it. The good news is that both of those chips can support the fingerprint technology. The bad news would be based on one's personal feelings towards those chips.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd be very surprised if the next Nexus had an 820. Qualcomm isn't even plan on sampling the chip until this Fall. I bet you won't see it until LG Flex 3, HTC m10, or LG G5 is released next spring. Any Nexus released this Fall will probably have either an 808 or 810 in it. The good news is that both of those chips can support the fingerprint technology. The bad news would be based on one's personal feelings towards those chips.
I was quoting from the article but apparently I missed it's compatibility with QC's recent offerings. I'd be perfectly happy with the 808, heck my N4 and N5 are both about as fast as anything newer I've used so it's not really about performance as much as it is efficiencies. I've been playing with a G4 and it's a beast. Still a bit too large for my liking though. We shall see.

Sense ID is compatible with all recent Snapdragon SoCs, including the upcoming Snapdragon 820, but there won't be any commercial devices with the technology until the second half of 2015.

egdonald

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
why the need for fingerprint scan/detect? I never really got hooked to the use.
I had fingerprint scan on company laptops a few years back. I used it when I needed to login while walking to the next meeting. But on a phone, I'll only ever need several swipes (ie. pattern unlock) to unlock the phone.

Putting a fingerprint scanner is nice... but for me not a big deal.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

After using both Note 4/iPhone 5S/6/S6

I can't go back using a phone without it... It's just so much easier to unlock, for me pattern and pins are a thing of the past for me.

But to be honest after we see that 5.1 brings native fingerprint scanner I'm sure Nexus will have a physical fingerprint scanner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20