From OnLeaks, Get Excited

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 5 battery was not good, but it still got me through the day. Using navigation for trips out of town hit the battery hard too. But I could say the same thing about the G4. It's a little better but I see the same issues. Unless you're on your phone all day, the battery is gonna get you through the day. I feel like all the complaining about the battery is a bit much but nerds gonna be nerds. I can't judge. There's not gonna be some huge leap in battery life of displays keep going the way they are.

if you had the Nexus 5 and now the G4, I'm assuming you upgrade phones annually. for those of us that keep our phones 2-3 years, battery is a pretty big deal. I don't know many people that were happy with the battery life on the nexus 5, or that got through a whole day, so I'll also assume you're not a heavy user. also, since so many people seem to be concerned, I think it's more than valid.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I do get it. Everything being proprietary means everything works. I totally understand that. I just hate that everything I wanted to do meant I had to jailbreak the device. With Android, I can do whatever I want. And with the Google Now Launcher, I don't even have to root my device to get a stock experience.

You'd think this, but it's not always true. I've had so many software issues with my iPhone 6 since day 1. For me, the process hasn't been noticeably smoother than Android. And I definitely prefer how much faster the UI animations are on Android.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Especially Android is about options and not one manufacturer being the one stop for everything if your not happy with OEM A then least you have B, C, D and E to choose from. In the end with current state smartphones then may need be realistic like you said and settle for phone that most fits your need. Setting much better than cursing OEM X because in reality nothing going to change.

agreed. hey I'm all about voicing your opinion. I mean, that's what these threads are all about. but to your point, eventually reality needs to settle in and realistic compromise needs to be made. this past year I was upset about a lot of things. I hate that the M9 didn't live up to the renders we hoped for. the S6's battery. the Moto Pure having a smaller battery then the Play and OP2 not having NFC. Now I'm upset the LG Nexus will supposedly have a 2700 mAh battery. Eventually though you have to look at the glass being half full, and although this is a great place to voice our concerns, and I'll never judge anyone personally for their preference in phone, these minor inconveniences are just that. end of the day, we have plenty of choice and if you're really in need of a phone, there are plenty to choose from. that said, there's nothing wrong with choosing to hold out and betting content with what you have. I have an S4 and Nexus 4, so I'm at the end of the road. truth is, no matter which phone (s) I choose, they'll be a monster upgrade over what I currently have.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
if you had the Nexus 5 and now the G4, I'm assuming you upgrade phones annually. for those of us that keep our phones 2-3 years, battery is a pretty big deal. I don't know many people that were happy with the battery life on the nexus 5, or that got through a whole day, so I'll also assume you're not a heavy user. also, since so many people seem to be concerned, I think it's more than valid.

Fare enough. I haven't owned a phone for two years since the iPhone 4. I think I had the Optimus G for about 18-20 months or so.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

I was only barely able to make it through a day with my Nexus 5 and I'm a light-moderate user. I'm expecting at least 4 hours of SOT with both new Nexus phones, but this is with the Lollipop standard. I should be able to get more than 5 with my usage if the software is where it should be and the battery is big enough. I think I trust Huawei enough to put a big battery in a thin frame. I still would rather it be flush with the camera and have no hump, but if it's at least 3500 mAh, I won't lose hope.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site

Very f'n true. Battery is a huge concern too me. I keep my phones usually for a few years. Messaged you back bro.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
agreed. hey I'm all about voicing your opinion. I mean, that's what these threads are all about. but to your point, eventually reality needs to settle in and realistic compromise needs to be made. this past year I was upset about a lot of things. I hate that the M9 didn't live up to the renders we hoped for. the S6's battery. the Moto Pure having a smaller battery then the Play and OP2 not having NFC. Now I'm upset the LG Nexus will supposedly have a 2700 mAh battery. Eventually though you have to look at the glass being half full, and although this is a great place to voice our concerns, and I'll never judge anyone personally for their preference in phone, these minor inconveniences are just that. end of the day, we have plenty of choice and if you're really in need of a phone, there are plenty to choose from. that said, there's nothing wrong with choosing to hold out and betting content with what you have. I have an S4 and Nexus 4, so I'm at the end of the road. truth is, no matter which phone (s) I choose, they'll be a monster upgrade over what I currently have.

Agreed. I have Nexus 5 and have know problems settling for something this year or next two. I just not one going in every year I will be getting phone beyond what trend is that year. The trend is now is skinny phones with large displays = small batteries and just don't see it changing simply in a years time. Though I digress and simple leave to each its own.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5 battery was not good, but it still got me through the day. Using navigation for trips out of town hit the battery hard too. But I could say the same thing about the G4. It's a little better but I see the same issues. Unless you're on your phone all day, the battery is gonna get you through the day. I feel like all the complaining about the battery is a bit much but nerds gonna be nerds. I can't judge. There's not gonna be some huge leap in battery life of displays keep going the way they are.
Doesn't the G4 come with an extra battery and charger?

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
IMO this is one of those things that there is no going back on. The world is moving to a non-removable battery place and it's here to stay.

Project Ara might change this and I hope it does but I'm not holding my breath.
It seems like companies are going out of their way to seal them in. I bought two Moto G's for the kids; both phones have removable back covers, but still have sealed batteries. It would have taken less material on the phone to make it removable. There are already snaps in place for the cover. I literally cannot see why it is removable(as a cost-saving measure) except it can now have built-in obsolescence even though the hardware could work for a very long time.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Do yourself a favor: stop plugging your phone in and start swapping that battery when it gets real low, while at home or away. Live the unplugged mobile life, man.

I guess I have a pretty set routine. And I never charge unless my phone is around 40%. Charging a phone kinda comes with owning a phone. I guess I've never seen the point in complaining about it.

Last edited:

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I guess I have a pretty set routine. And I never charge unless my phone is around 40%. Charging a phone kinda comes with owning a phone. I guess I've never seen the point in complaint about it.
Fair enough. But you should try it sometime. It's pretty liberating to not ever really know when your phone hits 40%, since you just swap the battery when you get the 15% warning. You never really look at the battery at all, unless you're about to run out and want to swap batteries to top off. This is the only reality I have known, except for when I owned the original Moto X for a couple weeks. Great phone, but I just couldn't live with the constant concern/attention/planning/charging that came with that sealed battery. And it took terrible photos.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I was only barely able to make it through a day with my Nexus 5 and I'm a light-moderate user. I'm expecting at least 4 hours of SOT with both new Nexus phones, but this is with the Lollipop standard. I should be able to get more than 5 with my usage if the software is where it should be and the battery is big enough. I think I trust Huawei enough to put a big battery in a thin frame. I still would rather it be flush with the camera and have no hump, but if it's at least 3500 mAh, I won't lose hope.

I think that very realistic and a fair assessment. I agree with it to. thinking 4 hours SOT, hoping for 5, and believe that should be the bare minimum.

I wonder what the engineers on the Note knows that nobody else seems to know. even the optimization on the S6 doesn't compare. maybe we'll see a little of that magic this year.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I think that very realistic and a fair assessment. I agree with it to. thinking 4 hours SOT, hoping for 5, and believe that should be the bare minimum.

I wonder what the engineers on the Note knows that nobody else seems to know. even the optimization on the S6 doesn't compare. maybe we'll see a little of that magic this year.
I'm very intrigued by what Samsung did to get such great battery life out of the Note 5. Because TouchWiz is still heavy on top of Android, so I'm really confused. But hopefully Google, LG and Huawei will be able to figure out how to give us some long-lasting batteries. We'll at least have standby time if nothing else.

Sent using Tapatalk

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Very f'n true. Battery is a huge concern too me. I keep my phones usually for a few years. Messaged you back bro.

got you back ... same here. I tend to hold onto phones 2-3 years. there's only so much room in the tech budget. barring some unforeseen advancement in smartphone technology (like wifi charging or something) i don't anticipate my next two devices being any different. after upgrading my entire home audio last year, and getting an xps 13, Chromebook and ps4 this year, my wife isn't gonna be very happy when I drop $900 on two phones this fall !!

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm very intrigued by what Samsung did to get such great battery life out of the Note 5. Because TouchWiz is still heavy on top of Android, so I'm really confused. But hopefully Google, LG and Huawei will be able to figure out how to give us some long-lasting batteries. We'll at least have standby time if nothing else.

Sent using Tapatalk

they nailed it on the note 4 to ... definitely the exception to the rule

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo