09-28-2015 06:09 AM
178 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Gigaset ME and Me Pro look like viable flagships.

ME:

5.0" display FHD
    SD 810
    3GB DDR4 RAM
    32GB (with SD card support)
    16MP camera (with PDAF & dual LED flash)
    3000mAh
    USB Type-C 3.0 (with quick charge)
    Fingerprint scanner
    5.1.1 Lollipop
    £349 GBP

ME Pro:

5.5" display FHD
    SD 810
    3GB DDR4 RAM
    32GB (with SD card support)
    20MP camera (with OIS and dual LED flash)
    4000mAh (!!!)
    USB Type-C 3.0 (with quick charge)
    Fingerprint scanner
    5.1.1 Lollipop
    £399 GBP
    09-02-2015 04:14 AM
    Why don't they make a Nexus with
    4.7 inch 720p display
    4gb ram
    16/32/64gb storage
    3600 mah battery
    Android kitkat
    1901Madison likes this.
    09-02-2015 04:29 AM
    Why would Google regress to 720p displays when their last two Nexus iterations had 1080p and 1440p displays?

3600 mAh battery on a 4.7 inch phone sounds like an impossible dream. That concept phone of yours will have to be very thick to accommodate such a battery for its size. Even then I don't see how they would pull it off.

And they're obviously going to put the latest Android version on the Nexus device. Come on, now. They are trying to fight fragmentation, not trying to aid it.
    jakeuten likes this.
    09-02-2015 04:36 AM
    IF the battery turns out to be sufficient on this phone there's only one thing that would hold me back and that's the cellular radios LG uses. I wasn't thrilled with the reception on their last Nexus phone. It never did make 'news' and wasn't discussed much here but there were lengthy discussions about attenuation issues on the N4 on XDA and Google support forums that were never resolved by LG.
    09-02-2015 08:47 AM
    I gave more points to the G4 as there weren't really any downgrades from the G3 and just ended up being an upgrade in nearly every major area.
    And gave everyone a spare battery!!

They should just release the G4 as a Google play edition instead of a Nexus.. I would be soooo happy
    09-02-2015 08:50 AM
    Why don't they make a Nexus with
    4.7 inch 720p display
    4gb ram
    16/32/64gb storage
    3600 mah battery
    Android kitkat
    Because it's 2015?
    Hasbrobot, dusoccer10 and jakeuten like this.
    09-02-2015 09:31 AM
    No phone should be launching with anything other than 5.1.1 this late into the year with 6.0 just around the corner.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    09-02-2015 10:07 AM
    The specs are fine... how much better is a different SoC if anything runs perfectly smooth on it? And how much battery do you want if it's like 2x better the old N5? I think everything looks perfect on this new N5! It's basically everything we've been asking for... especially the new Camera! With better battery, much better OS, quick charge, wireless charging, and a decent screen, pure Google android and the lastest updates everytime IDK how you could ask for better personally... sign me up!
    OH and don't forget the much better price too! I'm a little disappointed the 820 wasn't available yet but this is fine the 808 should provide plenty to drive this device and also allow even better battery life.
    09-02-2015 12:04 PM
    The specs are fine... how much better is a different SoC if anything runs perfectly smooth on it? And how much battery do you want if it's like 2x better the old N5? I think everything looks perfect on this new N5! It's basically everything we've been asking for... especially the new Camera! With better battery, much better OS, quick charge, wireless charging, and a decent screen, pure Google android and the lastest updates everytime IDK how you could ask for better personally... sign me up!
    OH and don't forget the much better price too! I'm a little disappointed the 820 wasn't available yet but this is fine the 808 should provide plenty to drive this device and also allow even better battery life.
    we're taking about the Nexus right? some of those features you mentioned haven't even been leaked yet, and who knows what the price will be.

also, we can't assume the camera will be great, or the battery life. I'll optimistic, but I'll wait on reviews, 2700 is on the small side and you're suggesting it'll be 2x better than the Nexus 5? trust me, we all hope you're 100% accurate, but I think you're getting ahead of yourself.
    AllenRulz likes this.
    09-02-2015 12:49 PM
    My Moto X Play with 3630mAh battery gets 2-3x SOT compared to Nexus 5. Scale that down to 2700mAh (25% less) and add the extra power consumption from the more powerful SOC (negated partially by the jump to 20nm).

09-02-2015 12:55 PM
    They should just release the G4 as a Google play edition instead of a Nexus.. I would be soooo happy
    I think I remember reading that LG said that the new Nexus 5 was NOT based on the existing G4 (pointing to how the previous Nexus 5 was a de-tuned G2). Still, a GPE G4 would have been nice.

Every OEM should release a GPE of their phones. Well, I'll give Moto a pass since they are pretty much there anyhow.

Still, the new LG Nexus should make any current Nexus 5 owner happy... it should be superior to the original in pretty much every facet.
    UN4GTBL likes this.
    09-02-2015 01:10 PM
    I think I remember reading that LG said that the new Nexus 5 was NOT based on the existing G4 (pointing to how the previous Nexus 5 was a de-tuned G2). Still, a GPE G4 would have been nice.

Every OEM should release a GPE of their phones. Well, I'll give Moto a pass since they are pretty much there anyhow.

Still, the new LG Nexus should make any current Nexus 5 owner happy... it should be superior to the original in pretty much every facet.
    agreed
    09-02-2015 01:15 PM
    Let's all take a stroll down memory lane. I, too, had a Nexus 5... two actually, one for me and my wife. Nice phone, but it had its issues. I ran into the same ones that many others had. The original Nexus 5 had WAY too small a battery. 2300mah may have been huge for the previous generation of phones, which all rocked 720 screens. But the Nexus had a 5" 1080P screen... the battery was about 500mah too small for my tastes and I had to manage power WAAAAY too often. When we were on vacation, it was often a bit of a challenge to have the thing last the day and still use it to take pictures and such... took some creative power management (often using Tasker profiles). It was often very tiring.

The new one? Well, I make a couple of assumptions here. First, the 5.2" 1080P screen will be more power efficient than the one in the 2013 version. It is a plausible to assume that LG has made some advancements in their LCD displays in the past 24 months. Second, I assume that the Snapdragon 808 is also more efficent than the 800 SoC in the original. Again.... I haven't seen stats, but it would also be a plausible assumption.

So you have a more energy efficient screen AND SoC drawing on a battery that is larger and pushing the same 1080P resolution... all running on an operating system (M) which has already shown that it has some nifty little power saving tricks up its sleeve.

Conclusion: the new Nexus 5 should do a much better job in getting its users through the day.... it should idle better and use less power when the screen is on. I think the difference will be significant.... Don't stress over the fact that it 'only' has a 2700mah battery.
    UN4GTBL likes this.
    09-02-2015 02:48 PM
    Let's all take a stroll down memory lane. I, too, had a Nexus 5... two actually, one for me and my wife. Nice phone, but it had its issues. I ran into the same ones that many others had. The original Nexus 5 had WAY too small a battery. 2300mah may have been huge for the previous generation of phones, which all rocked 720 screens. But the Nexus had a 5" 1080P screen... the battery was about 500mah too small for my tastes and I had to manage power WAAAAY too often. When we were on vacation, it was often a bit of a challenge to have the thing last the day and still use it to take pictures and such... took some creative power management (often using Tasker profiles). It was often very tiring.

The new one? Well, I make a couple of assumptions here. First, the 5.2" 1080P screen will be more power efficient than the one in the 2013 version. It is a plausible to assume that LG has made some advancements in their LCD displays in the past 24 months. Second, I assume that the Snapdragon 808 is also more efficent than the 800 SoC in the original. Again.... I haven't seen stats, but it would also be a plausible assumption.

So you have a more energy efficient screen AND SoC drawing on a battery that is larger and pushing the same 1080P resolution... all running on an operating system (M) which has already shown that it has some nifty little power saving tricks up its sleeve.

Conclusion: the new Nexus 5 should do a much better job in getting its users through the day.... it should idle better and use less power when the screen is on. I think the difference will be significant.... Don't stress over the fact that it 'only' has a 2700mah battery.
    how about just throwing in a 3300 mAh battery and call it a day? how much thicker would it really be? my guess is not much. or how about a 3000 at least. so instead of maybe making it through the day, you'll actually make it ... I'll go out on a limb. 8 months in I won't get to 3pm
    UN4GTBL likes this.
    09-02-2015 03:37 PM
    I definitely see your point LeoRex but come on, 2700? Even with those extra factors, that's not that much of a difference in battery size. They could at least did 3000 which would be at least 700 more mAh.
    UN4GTBL likes this.
    09-02-2015 03:42 PM
    I definitely see your point LeoRex but come on, 2700? Even with those extra factors, that's not that much of a difference in battery size. They could at least did 3000 which would be at least 700 more mAh.
    The problem is that they won't. One consistent theme I've noticed among almost all phone makers regardless of OS is that they all seem to be obsessed with paring everything down to the absolute least specs they can pull while not totally messing up performance.

Why? Well I'm guessing it costs them less to install 10 million 2700 mah batteries than 10 million at 3000 mah. That increases their profit margin. I'm also guessing they figure that the only ones who are going to make a fuss about it are our small group of tech forum nerds. I'm totally speculating here but if I'm right it would completely explain this ongoing trend where we have new phones coming out that all seem to share one thing in common: "This phone would've ticked every wish list box imaginable if only they had went with [insert spec or feature here]".
    09-02-2015 06:47 PM
    Among those reasons, they may also devolve the specs list because it's what they use at Google. They would probably want lower or average specs so they can design their own app eco-system to work well on lower and mid-tier smart phones.
    09-02-2015 08:11 PM
    And gave everyone a spare battery!!

You said it! Heck, if I could root it and put buggy CM on it, even that would be a done deal for me.
    09-02-2015 10:33 PM

I see you having some similar problems as you had in the past. The extra screen size will negate some of your arguments, and others you are just making up out of hope. Like the more energy efficient screen. LG has been making displays for a very long time. I doubt they made any significant leap in power consumption tech in the last 24 months. Nothing you'd notice.
    09-02-2015 10:42 PM
    I see you having some similar problems as you had in the past. The extra screen size will negate some of your arguments, and others you are just making up out of hope. Like the more energy efficient screen. LG has been making displays for a very long time. I doubt they made any significant leap in power consumption tech in the last 24 months. Nothing you'd notice.
    It seems that you are wrong. Accordding to the review of Anandtech, the display of the G4 uses a lot less power than the one of the G3.
    09-03-2015 02:05 AM
    Sony Xperia Z5 announced: 5.2", 1080p, 2900mAh battery and only 7.3mm thin (Nexus 5 rumoured to be larger in all dimensions so maybe larger battery)! Maybe an alternative if price isn't the most important factor. It's on my list but not so keen on the glass back.
    09-03-2015 08:31 AM
    The Xperia Z5 Compact looks amazing. But then you see the price: £549. Five hundred and forty nine. Damn. That's costly. £599 for regular version.

Edit: found a much cheaper 3rd party retailer. Tempted now!

09-03-2015 09:40 AM
    32gb is not acceptable in 2015 to be the largest capacity available. I hope the rumors are false, because otherwise I can't even consider it. I struggle to keep my 32gb Moto x from being full, and I'm not going through this again.
    Or, maybe you should not be as big of a hoarder?
    09-03-2015 11:51 AM
    Here's a pro tip for you: some of us adults have jobs where neither wifi nor cell service is always available, and still want access to our media. Imagine that.
    09-03-2015 01:16 PM
    I hope for your sake you're no older than 13 ... cause if you are, with that comment, I sincerely feel bad for you
    09-03-2015 01:18 PM
178 ... 34567 ...