Any word on either Nexus having Always On Listening similar to the Moto X ?

eosman2k1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if we will see something similar to the Moto X's Moto Assist in the upcoming Nexus phones. Any Rumors or Speculation ??

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Me, I keep dreaming that someone will announce that the Moto X P. E. is so well outfitted with radio tech that it'll work with T-Mobile's WiFi Calling out of the box as soon as you pop in a T-Mobile sim. Pretty lame as dreams go, I know, but it's really the only thing keeping me from getting one since I have yet to be wowed by any of the Nexus 2015 rumors/renders.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if we will see something similar to the Moto X's Moto Assist in the upcoming Nexus phones. Any Rumors or Speculation ??
In a word, no. Assist is a purely Motorola feature only, even the Moto Nexus 6 didn't have that. If you want that, you will have to buy a Moto and then hope Lenovo doesn't mess it up in a future update. It was reported they fired all of Motorola's engineers responsible for Assist, but who knows. I know part of Assist is that Motorola pays a licensing fee to get the best voice recognition software. I have a sinking feeling Lenovo will not be looking to pay for that, so I fear the great voice recognition required for these Moto features may not be so great in the future.

Now if you are only talking about ok Google, I think phones already have that. But it isn't as good as Moto's features.

WoodyR

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah pretty much all phones have OK Google voice recognition as long as (1) you enable it in Google Settings and (2) the screen is on (can still be locked), or the phone is charging, in which case the screen doesn't need to be on or unlocked.

I always understood that the Moto X has an extra chip/processor that always listens for voice commands with little to no additional battery drain. It may also be a software licensing issue as jackdubl said. I really don't know, but I'm right there with you where I think all new android phones should have this feature.

For now I'm content with it always listening when plugged in, because I only ever really need it when driving, and my phone stays plugged in most of the time in the car.