Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: The LG Nexus 5X's camera will not have OIS [RUMOR]

I'm not surprised.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

When the prices came out I was like "great, the 6P is in my range, I'll just get that since the 5X doesn't offer 64GB." Then they said "no OIS on either."

Now, I'm thinking that the LG G4 might be the best value below $500. I think I'd give up the fingerprint scanner for OIS and a clearly better camera. . . .maybe.

Any way you cut it, there is an incredible amount of value below $500 this year.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When the prices came out I was like "great, the 6P is in my range, I'll just get that since the 5X doesn't offer 64GB." Then they said "no OIS on either."

Now, I'm thinking that the LG G4 might be the best value below $500. I think I'd give up the fingerprint scanner for OIS and a clearly better camera. . . .maybe.

Any way you cut it, there is an incredible amount of value below $500 this year.

Have you seen camera samples from the 6P or 5X?

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
no, but I've seen them from the G4 (OIS) and the Moto X Pure (no OIS) and know enough to appreciate the added value there.

Software is great (better all the time), but OIS is pretty valuable to me. for a Small premium (from the 5X) or the same price (6P), I can get OIS (with the trade-off of fingerprint scanner). I mean, I can't speak for you or anyone else. I'm just suggesting that the G4 seems quite competitive given the compromises that it seems Google made here.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
no, but I've seen them from the G4 (OIS) and the Moto X Pure (no OIS) and know enough to appreciate the added value there.

Wait, didn't the Moto X beat out the G4 on the AC shootout in low light, at least in auto mode? I could get on board with an argument that manual mode could be important but OIS didn't seem to save the G4 this time around. That and add in the focus that Google seems to be putting in on low light - with the rumors reported today, "...the 6P's larger pixels — reportedly 1.55-micron dots — should result in clearer low-light shots despite the purported lack of OIS (optical image stabilization) in this camera." (Alex's post)

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a heavy user and I don't take a lot of pictures (maybe a couple per week) so I'm okay with no OIS if it means immediate software updates. If I can get a 32GB Nexus 5X and a few USB-C cables for less than $500, I'll call that a win.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Wait, didn't the Moto X beat out the G4 on the AC shootout in low light, at least in auto mode? I could get on board with an argument that manual mode could be important but OIS didn't seem to save the G4 this time around. That and add in the focus that Google seems to be putting in on low light - with the rumors reported today, "...the 6P's larger pixels — reportedly 1.55-micron dots — should result in clearer low-light shots despite the purported lack of OIS (optical image stabilization) in this camera." (Alex's post)

Not to my knowledge. In fact, quite the opposite. Moto X is excellent to superior in ideal lighting scenarios but drops off dramatically in low-light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar