Is the corner-cutting this time around too much for you?

Matías, have we sinned?

• Total voters

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
  • 2GB DDR3 RAM
  • No OIS and EIS
  • Single Front-Facing Speaker
  • No Wireless Charging
  • Gorilla Glass 3 (instead of the 4 found on the 6P)
  • USB Type-C to USB Standard-A plug cable not included unlike the 6P ($12.99)

Answers on Reddit from the Nexus team said:
Why only 2GB RAM in the Nexus 5X: “We like to think we’re striking a strong balance between premium features/experiences and affordability.”

Making up for no OIS: “We’ve done a bunch of things to provide image stabilization: 1. The Nexus 6P/5X has a large 1.55um pixel camera and the amount of motion blur due to hand-shake is lower , when you have large pixels. 2. We have a feature we call “lucky shot” internally. When you take a picture, behind the scenes, we select the best of 3 bursts of images. 3. When you use video, we have optic-flow-based image stabilization. 4. When you use SmartBurst, we select the best image from the burst (for example a shot with eyes open).”

More on cameras: “Yea, same sensor (IMX377) and F/2.0 optics. But 6P has more CPU/GPU horsepower so has a few additional features like 240fps slomo (vs 120fps on 5X), Smartburst, and EIS.”

Why no wireless (Qi) charging: “We added Qi wireless charging starting with N4 because plugging in USB micro B was such a hassle! (Which way is up!?) With this year’s Nexii, we support USB Type-C which has a reversible connector so there’s no more guessing. AND it charges incredibly swiftly: 1% to 100% in 97 mins on the 6P for example (the first ~45 mins of charging is especially fast). Meanwhile, wireless charging adds z (thickness). So, ease of plugging in + fast charging + optimizing for thinness made us double down on Type-C instead of wireless!”

Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/3...name-meaning-usb-2-0-no-qi-charging-and-more/

Specs Comparison: Nexus 5X VS Nexus 6P: All The Differences To Help You Decide Which One To Pick

Last edited:

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I will likely buy it, but may wait on some actual reviews. I like having the latest tech when I can justify/afford it, but I'm not a "power user" by any means. I don't play games on my phone, and I don't need 6gb of RAM and enough storage for 15 HD movies and 5000 songs. I think the 5X will fit the bill for me: it has some neat features that I'll actually use (fingerprint scanner, front facing stereo speakers), it's affordable, and it will stay up to date for the next two years, software-wise.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I don't see why I should get the Nexus 5x over Nexus 6 or Moto X Pure.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

I can certainly understand this sentiment. Personally I'm just not at all interested in phones that large though. The size is a major part of the 5X appeal for me, other specs be damned.

Posted via the Android Central App

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I can certainly understand this sentiment. Personally I'm just not at all interested in phones that large though. The size is a major part of the 5X appeal for me, other specs be damned.

Posted via the Android Central App
Agreed. The Moto X PE was way too big for me as well. I'm also drawn to the idea of not having to wait for Verizon to approve updates so that has me leaning toward either the Nexus 5X or the Lumia 950 when it comes out (there are rumors that it, too, will be sold unlocked directly by Microsoft). If it weren't for Verizon, I'd consider just going back to the 2014 Moto X since Motorola still offers them through the Moto Maker.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. The Moto X PE was way too big for me as well. I'm also drawn to the idea of not having to wait for Verizon to approve updates so that has me leaning toward either the Nexus 5X or the Lumia 950 when it comes out (there are rumors that it, too, will be sold unlocked directly by Microsoft). If it weren't for Verizon, I'd consider just going back to the 2014 Moto X since Motorola still offers them through the Moto Maker.
I'm not sure updates will still work the same way for phones not sold through carriers now. I don't think Verizon is really that involved anymore.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure updates will still work the same way for phones not sold through carriers now. I don't think Verizon is really that involved anymore.

Trust me. These unlocked, non-carrier phones will still go through carrier labs for testing.

jackdubl

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Trust me. These unlocked, non-carrier phones will still go through carrier labs for testing.
But now they aren't carrier specific, so they would have to pass all carriers before any one of them could be updated. They are all identical. I don't see how that could work. They are trying to make updates faster, not slower.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why everyone is so hung up on the RAM amount being two gigabytes. My 2013 original Moto X runs smooth as silk and fast. Its 2 years old and still runs excellent and it has two gigabytes of RAM and a much less powerful processor than the 5x has. Running pure stock Android and having a 1080p screen, I'm not concerned about the ram at all.

In the job I used to have, I was a new product introduction manager. When it came down to trying to hit a price point for new products, many many decisions had to be made about features and components that we used. Sometimes it literally came down to $0.50 or a dollar difference in the price of a component for feature order to make the price point. So, with the Nexus 5 X not being a flagship type phone I can understand why the decisions were made on the feature set that it has. Making decisions regarding features, cost, pricing and profit margins are never easy and hardly ever satisfy everybody at the consumer level.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
My gamble of preordering a Sony Xperia Z5 Compact paid off. Farewell Nexus! It's been great.

didn't u come from a Moto, or did I get that mixed up? IMO the Nexus 5x is disappointing. luckily I like larger displays, camera and wireless charging aren't important, but stock, battery and quick charge are, so the 6p is perfect for me.

what do u like about the z5c so far? if I wore pink and had girl hands is definitely get one!!

(I'm short and have small hands BTW, hence the joke ;-)

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why everyone is so hung up on the RAM amount being two gigabytes. My 2013 original Moto X runs smooth as silk and fast. Its 2 years old and still runs excellent and it has two gigabytes of RAM and a much less powerful processor than the 5x has. Running pure stock Android and having a 1080p screen, I'm not concerned about the ram at all.

In the job I used to have, I was a new product introduction manager. When it came down to trying to hit a price point for new products, many many decisions had to be made about features and components that we used. Sometimes it literally came down to $0.50 or a dollar difference in the price of a component for feature order to make the price point. So, with the Nexus 5 X not being a flagship type phone I can understand why the decisions were made on the feature set that it has. Making decisions regarding features, cost, pricing and profit margins are never easy and hardly ever satisfy everybody at the consumer level.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

because people have been trained to pay way to much attention to specs. modern consumerism had literally changed the way people's brains function, and our natural instinct is to make judgments based off what we read and hear, instead of what we actually experience.

that's where logic and reasoning comes in. the knee jerk reaction is what it is, but hopefully once the reviews come out, and they've had time to reach a rational conclusion, they'll realize that specs don't correlate into the actual experience.

there's no better example then the iPhone. and I know about iOS vs Android and the background app stuff, but still ... love or hate, I can name 20 phones with better specs that the iPhone dominates in every category in the real world.

that said, I think there are some features people were hoping for with the 5x that aren't there. specifically, OIS, wireless charging and 64MB option. but as far as the RAM goes, I completely agree.

2GB RAM that's efficiently managed preforms better than 3GB that doesn't.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
didn't u come from a Moto, or did I get that mixed up? IMO the Nexus 5x is disappointing. luckily I like larger displays, camera and wireless charging aren't important, but stock, battery and quick charge are, so the 6p is perfect for me.

what do u like about the z5c so far? if I wore pink and had girl hands is definitely get one!!

(I'm short and have small hands BTW, hence the joke ;-)

I returned that Moto because I found it a little too big, remember? :) I still held onto my Nexus 5 that I've had since its 2013 launch as I didn't get around to selling it before I changed my mind on the Moto.

Sony still hasn't dispatched my order so I'm still waiting on that. Annoying as the phone is widely available in Carphone Warehouse stores as of yesterday, just not the Yellow colour option that I want (I've only ever had black phones, want to change things up this time around).

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have always had the 32GB version of phones when offered, and a 32GB tablet(N7 2013). None of my devices are full. Not even close. For plane trips, I load about 10 GB of movies. On my phone, I have about 5 GB of music. I load any app I want. I have never run out of space. I have not touched an SD card since I left Samsuck. What is the fuss about? What are people putting on phones to need so much storage?

The only one with sotrage issues is my wife. She is a compulsive picture taker. She will take 6 copies of the same exact moment her dog is doing something. By something, I mean when her dog is sitting there, or standing, or sleeping, or walking, or playing with her other dog. No kidding, she will take 4-6 pictures of the same exact moment, and won't keep the best shot, but will keep all 4-6, beause each one is so slightly different. Her DLR is full, several SD cards are full, several gigs on her lap top, tablet and PC, all full of several copies of each individual picture that she hoards. Then she will off load them to USB drives and DVD's. No phone will work for her, ever, with storage. For me, 32 GB is just fine.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Your wife sounds exactly like me! I take multiple instances of the same scene over and over just to ensure that the scene is indeed in focus. That was an issue primarily on early smartphone cameras but old habits die hard.

And as for other storage hogs; music and videos. These can take up loads of storage space very quickly. I mostly stream videos (as I tend to only watch a movie or TV show once, only watching repeats long time after), but I always want to access my music locally (I can listen to specific songs multiple times in the same day) because 4G/3G is spotty in the rural countryside at best and I have a 4GB data cap at the moment. And there's also large apps like games to consider. I'm not a huge mobile gamer as I have a PC to fill that purpose but I like having the option nonetheless if any particular future mobile game happens to catch my attention.

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Just for $70 more you could get a 32GB 6P hmmm

They seemed to favor it a lot more because they hardly talked about the 5X.

Pre-order benefits:
- $50 Google Play Credit (US only)
- 90 days free Google Play Music trial

Last edited: