Should I cancel my Sony Xperia Z5 Compact preorder?

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Z5 Compact - £429

Nexus 5X - £349

£80 difference.

Advantages of Sony:

- smaller
- SD card support
- SD 810
- DDR4 RAM
- stereo speakers
- longer battery life
- fingerprint scanner on side
- waterproof
- camera???

Advantages of Nexus:

- higher DPI display
- Marshmallow at launch
- quicker updates
- Type-C USB
- Bluetooth 4.2
- camera???

Last edited:

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorta in the same boat (also UK)

I think both Nexus are AMAZING

But the 6P is just too big, and the 5X is not premium at all.

So this is my deciding question. When will the Sony's get Marshmallow?

If it is months then I'd get the Nexus

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Z5 Compact - £429

Nexus 5X - £379

£50 difference.

Advantages of Sony:

- smaller
- SD card support
- SD 810
- DDR4 RAM
- stereo speakers
- longer battery life
- fingerprint scanner on side
- camera???

Advantages of Nexus:

- higher DPI display
- Marshmallow at launch
- quicker updates
- Type-C USB
- Bluetooth 4.2
- camera???

Wait for nexus reviews, but I think Sony will be the better phone

dreaming of electric sheep

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I had written the 5X off for being too large (I returned a Moto X Play for that exact reason and its barely any bigger at 148x75mm vs 147x72.6mm).

But the camera of the 5X is what has captured my interest. Both Nexus and Sony have 1/2.3" sensors but with only 12.3MP the 5X has bigger pixels than the 23MP of the Z5C. Nexus 5X presumably will win the camera comparison.

I'm so conflicted. I loves me a good camera but battery life is also super important to me. And that's where Sony will win out.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had written the 5X off for being too large (I returned a Moto X Play for that exact reason and its barely any bigger at 148x75mm vs 147x72.6mm).

But the camera of the 5X is what has captured my interest. Both Nexus and Sony have 1/2.3" sensors but with only 12.3MP the 5X has bigger pixels than the 23MP of the Z5C. Nexus 5X presumably will win the camera comparison.

I'm so conflicted. I loves me a good camera but battery life is also super important to me. And that's where Sony will win out.

You really need to rank the features in a value hierarchy of every day usage. I would put Android updates and camera at the very top of the list.

Matthew H1

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
The size of the Z compact is perfect... it's a damn shame we don't get it in the states - or even anything of that nature for Verizon.

LezCronut

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorta in the same boat (also UK)

I think both Nexus are AMAZING

But the 6P is just too big, and the 5X is not premium at all.

So this is my deciding question. When will the Sony's get Marshmallow?

If it is months then I'd get the Nexus

Think about not just Marshmellow roll out, but consecutive updates as well.
Any phone other than Nexus WILL SURELY GET OS UPDATE MONTHS AFTER NEXUS.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
£349 for 32GB version. It's now an £80 difference.

And the Nexus 5X would be delivered tomorrow. 1st October. Meanwhile I have no idea when Sony are going to dispatch my order.

Ahhh... conflicted!

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Maybe just get both and then return the one you like least?

I personally think the Sony will look like the better phone in one year's time. The Nexus's tend to look shabby after some use

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
True, I've already had to return lots of electronic items recently though (Moto X Play, then a Acer netbook), it's getting a bit tiresome.

But it could definitely be worth considering. I mean, I could have it in my hands tomorrow. That's amazing considering the Google Store doesn't start shipping until right at the end of October.

I'm going to have to research both phones like crazy and try and make a decision.

It's hard because camera quality and battery life are my two biggest priorities this time around after spending two years with the original Nexus 5. It looks like the Nexus 5X has the better camera (much bigger pixels for super low light) but the Sony has the better battery life (lower res, smaller display with exact same battery capacity). It's a tie.

I guess it therefore has to fall to the other aspects of each device. Or try out both like you said... First world problems! Gah!

Edit: I was wrong. Apparently expected delivery is 19th October. I couldn't see that info on the mobile site. I feel stupid now.

Last edited:

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
True, I've already had to return lots of electronic items recently though (Moto X Play, then a Acer netbook), it's getting a bit tiresome.

But it could definitely be worth considering. I mean, I could have it in my hands tomorrow. That's amazing considering the Google Store doesn't start shipping until right at the end of October.

I'm going to have to research both phones like crazy and try and make a decision.

It's hard because camera quality and battery life are my two biggest priorities this time around after spending two years with the original Nexus 5. It looks like the Nexus 5X has the better camera (much bigger pixels for super low light) but the Sony has the better battery life (lower res, smaller display with exact same battery capacity). It's a tie.

I guess it therefore has to fall to the other aspects of each device. Or try out both like you said... First world problems! Gah!

Edit: I was wrong. Apparently expected delivery is 19th October. I couldn't see that info on the mobile site. I feel stupid now.

Yeah I'm confused. I just bought the 5X in Carbon Black from Carphone Warehouse which was in stock at the time which is usually next day delivery when in stock. Now it is up for pre-order with a delivery date for Oct 19th. The Quartz White is still in stock and not showing the Oct 19th delivery date. What's going on? I want my 5X tomorrow! Haha.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, they've changed it. It definitely was showing as 'in stock'. Awww :/

Meanwhile Sony is finally showing their phone as in stock. Still need to get the dispatch notification though. Still time to switch if I choose.

Last edited:

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's my 2¢,
I went from the N5 to the M9, lost the M9 got a Z3, now I'm waiting for the 5X.

The N5 is my favorite phone so far (tired with my EvoLTE) hated that it didn't have an SD slot so all my pictures had to get backed up then deleted from my storage. Besides that it was nearly nearly perfect.

The M9 had great hardware ( besides the back camera, the front camera was actually better and clearer than the back cam) and amazing software (still the top OEM skin).

The Sony Z3 had a promising start, I got it and I was instantly in love with the hardware, the look is beyond sexy and the glass feel was premium. The camera was miles better then the M9 but I feel it wasn't as good as the N5. SOFTWARE wise this has been the worst phone I owned, very little community support, flashing a custom rom is so troublesome, need to go through flash tools or else you'll softbrick, if you go ASOP you'll wipe the cameras DRM which would result in diminished picture quality. The Z3 has some very annoying bugs (I.E. when I send a phone call and then off the screen the phone hangs up and I call to call the person again, happens every time and super annoying) the photo album app is sub-par but it does have great service, i get service in places where my N5 didn't. (Also even with the 3gb ram I notice a little too much lag)

Now waiting to see if the 5X meets my expectations, if not I'll send it back try the 6P and if still a no go (I wear skinnys so I'm a bit worried cause the z3 barely fits) I'll just stick with my z3 until something hits my interest.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
My Sony order has dispatched today with delivery expected tomorrow so I'm going to give the Z5 a try and see how it goes :)

Runningwarrior08

May 23, 2010
Visit site
DXOMARK has stated the Z5 has the best cell phone camera currently available so there is that to think about. I currently have both Nexi on order but want the Z5c alot as I enjoy smaller phones more. But I love the open-ness of Nexus. But who knows when the Xperia's will release here in the states..

To comment on the roms and software for Z3, yes the DRM keys are very annoying but Sony does help with the AOSP side of the software and there were ways to backup your DRM keys or even activate the camera features without the keys. I loved my Z3c up until the day it met its watery grave. (Seal on the screen failed, found after dissecting the phone)

I wish the 5x was everything the 6p had at the OG size... :( I would pay more for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke