Why is there no micro SD card slot on the Nexus 5X?

Merkaz_5

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'd appreciate a clear explanation as to why Google branded devices have no SD card expansion.

I worry a bit about the 32gb limit.

Posted via the Android Central App

SeanJamesWright

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why no Micro SD card?

Cloud I guess? 32GB is more than enough for me but I understand the frustration.

Raylz

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

its been that way to save building cost they tried to move away from SD cards but yet support for 6.0 as others said just buy 32gb n5x or larger n6p

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

It's likely for two reasons. The first being to have better control of performance of the device as we all know microsd card performance can vary wildly. They certainly don't want people complaining about their phones when the problem is a cheap sd card. The second and more likely reason is profit. Selling 16-32GB of storage for $50 when it likely costs them less than $10 helps with profits and allows for a lower price on base models as the lost profits can be subsidized by high priced storage upgrades. This is the almost certainly the same reason Samsung did it and you know this is why Apple does.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

Don't forget about the cost and ROOM that this additional hardware is going to consume inside these devices... it's true the hardware for a microSD card reader is probably not very expensive, but the room it takes up is expensive inside the device.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I'd appreciate a clear explanation as to why Google branded devices have no SD card expansion.

I worry a bit about the 32gb limit.

There are multiple reasons for Google to not have a SD card in its phones even with the change coming in Android 6.0:

1.) Licensing costs - Google would have to pay Microsoft for every device due to formatting of the SD card.
2.) Profit - Google/OEM makes more profit when you pay $50 to go up in storage size.
3.) Cloud - Google wants you to use Drive and pay more if necessary.
4.) Performance - It's easier to control performance with just internal storage.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

It's always funny to read these takes every single time a new Nexus comes out.

Here is the answer: Google is a cloud based company and design their devices focused on the cloud. End of story.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Official statement below from Google during their AMA on Reddit.

KK: The idea here was to strike a balance between premium features/experiences and affordability.
EDIT: HL> It’s a conspiracy! MOVE TO THE CLOUD

losl

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Dose 5X support OTG natively? Could I use a OTG cable to hook up an external USB drive?

Thanks

SLo

Posted via Android Central App

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed at first when I found out my N6 had no SD card. But, ya know what? I don't even need one. Lots of my things were already cloud based, so there was no need to store them in my phone. I store some of my Spotify music on my phone offline, but I still have tons of space left over.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

It's likely for two reasons. The first being to have better control of performance of the device as we all know microsd card performance can vary wildly. They certainly don't want people complaining about their phones when the problem is a cheap sd card. The second and more likely reason is profit. Selling 16-32GB of storage for $50 when it likely costs them less than $10 helps with profits and allows for a lower price on base models as the lost profits can be subsidized by high priced storage upgrades. This is the almost certainly the same reason Samsung did it and you know this is why Apple does.

Google pushes internal storage for better performance etc. But sell storage upgrades is profitable. Look at Apple, they bought a flash storage company (Anobit) to control supply and cost. And I've done some reading in the business news that their cost to increase storage is marginal whereas they can charge a premium to customers. The upcharge is almost all profit for them.

jdot104

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

A Nexus phone will probably never have microSD support ever again. Just like Apple will never put Flash on an iPhone.

Sent using Tapatalk

Sn1p3rOG

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site

I haven'y used a SD Card in my last few phones. Most store "stuff" in the cloud and download as needed. However 32GB should be the minimum for phones nowadays.

SmogHog

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

An SD card slot would have been nice as well as,3/4GB of Ram,removable battery,built in wireless charging,quick charging and OIS but the brains at Google decided we don't need them.The type C port should have been USB 3.1 also.

Android 6.0 supports USB OTG without root or an app.

I bought a Type C micro sd reader for photo and video files I don't want to add onto the 32GB of internal storage

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-USB...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4744939

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site

An SD card slot would have been nice as well as,3/4GB of Ram,removable battery,built in wireless charging,quick charging and OIS but the brains at Google decided we don't need them.The type C port should have been USB 3.1 also.

Android 6.0 supports USB OTG without root or an app.

I bought a Type C micro sd reader for photo and video files I don't want to add onto the 32GB of internal storage

Amazon.com: Monoprice Dual Mode USB-C MicroSD Reader (113506): Computers & Accessories

Yup. Got one.

Big Nex5X

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
<<I bought a Type C micro sd reader for photo and video files I don't want to add onto the 32GB of internal storage

Amazon.com: Monoprice Dual Mode USB-C MicroSD Reader (113506): Computers & Accessories>>

Do they actually work? I bought two different kinds from Amazon that don't along with a number of cables and adapters that don't work. The Nexus 5X is my first smart phone and while some stuff WOWS me (like the GPS) the process of setting custom ringtones for each caller STILL eludes me as well as figuring how to get pictures and videos off without having to use a (metered!!) internet connection. It shouldn't be this hard. )-:

thanks in advance for any help = new the forum, too - haven't quite figured out how to quote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance