I'd appreciate a clear explanation as to why Google branded devices have no SD card expansion.

I worry a bit about the 32gb limit.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-30-2015 06:14 AM
    Cloud I guess? 32GB is more than enough for me but I understand the frustration.

LezCronut and co.ag.2005 like this.
    09-30-2015 06:39 AM
    If you are worried about the 32G limit, then there are options... the Nexus 6P has a 128G device!
    09-30-2015 07:48 AM
    its been that way to save building cost they tried to move away from SD cards but yet support for 6.0 as others said just buy 32gb n5x or larger n6p
    09-30-2015 07:51 AM
    It's likely for two reasons. The first being to have better control of performance of the device as we all know microsd card performance can vary wildly. They certainly don't want people complaining about their phones when the problem is a cheap sd card. The second and more likely reason is profit. Selling 16-32GB of storage for $50 when it likely costs them less than $10 helps with profits and allows for a lower price on base models as the lost profits can be subsidized by high priced storage upgrades. This is the almost certainly the same reason Samsung did it and you know this is why Apple does.
    treal likes this.
    09-30-2015 08:06 AM
    Don't forget about the cost and ROOM that this additional hardware is going to consume inside these devices... it's true the hardware for a microSD card reader is probably not very expensive, but the room it takes up is expensive inside the device.
    LezCronut likes this.
    09-30-2015 08:11 AM
    Nexus devices never had SD card slots

09-30-2015 08:16 AM
    Nexus devices never had SD card slots

The very first Nexus the Nexus One did. None since then have.
    jdot104 likes this.
    09-30-2015 08:28 AM
    I'd appreciate a clear explanation as to why Google branded devices have no SD card expansion.

There are multiple reasons for Google to not have a SD card in its phones even with the change coming in Android 6.0:

1.) Licensing costs - Google would have to pay Microsoft for every device due to formatting of the SD card.
    2.) Profit - Google/OEM makes more profit when you pay $50 to go up in storage size.
    3.) Cloud - Google wants you to use Drive and pay more if necessary.
    4.) Performance - It's easier to control performance with just internal storage.
    co.ag.2005 likes this.
    09-30-2015 08:42 AM
    It's always funny to read these takes every single time a new Nexus comes out.

Here is the answer: Google is a cloud based company and design their devices focused on the cloud. End of story.
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    09-30-2015 11:21 AM
    Official statement below from Google during their AMA on Reddit.

KK: The idea here was to strike a balance between premium features/experiences and affordability.
    EDIT: HL> It’s a conspiracy! MOVE TO THE CLOUD
    09-30-2015 03:40 PM
    Dose 5X support OTG natively? Could I use a OTG cable to hook up an external USB drive?

Thanks

SLo

Posted via Android Central App
    09-30-2015 09:36 PM
    Honestly, I was a bit disappointed at first when I found out my N6 had no SD card. But, ya know what? I don't even need one. Lots of my things were already cloud based, so there was no need to store them in my phone. I store some of my Spotify music on my phone offline, but I still have tons of space left over.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    10-01-2015 08:05 PM
    It's likely for two reasons. The first being to have better control of performance of the device as we all know microsd card performance can vary wildly. They certainly don't want people complaining about their phones when the problem is a cheap sd card. The second and more likely reason is profit. Selling 16-32GB of storage for $50 when it likely costs them less than $10 helps with profits and allows for a lower price on base models as the lost profits can be subsidized by high priced storage upgrades. This is the almost certainly the same reason Samsung did it and you know this is why Apple does.
    Google pushes internal storage for better performance etc. But sell storage upgrades is profitable. Look at Apple, they bought a flash storage company (Anobit) to control supply and cost. And I've done some reading in the business news that their cost to increase storage is marginal whereas they can charge a premium to customers. The upcharge is almost all profit for them.
    10-01-2015 08:33 PM
    A Nexus phone will probably never have microSD support ever again. Just like Apple will never put Flash on an iPhone.

Sent using Tapatalk
    10-01-2015 08:37 PM
    I haven'y used a SD Card in my last few phones. Most store "stuff" in the cloud and download as needed. However 32GB should be the minimum for phones nowadays.
    10-02-2015 01:09 PM
    An SD card slot would have been nice as well as,3/4GB of Ram,removable battery,built in wireless charging,quick charging and OIS but the brains at Google decided we don't need them.The type C port should have been USB 3.1 also.

Android 6.0 supports USB OTG without root or an app.

I bought a Type C micro sd reader for photo and video files I don't want to add onto the 32GB of internal storage

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-USB-...cUvbUpU4744939
    slave, wlonsdale and treal like this.
    10-12-2015 01:08 PM
    An SD card slot would have been nice as well as,3/4GB of Ram,removable battery,built in wireless charging,quick charging and OIS but the brains at Google decided we don't need them.The type C port should have been USB 3.1 also.

Android 6.0 supports USB OTG without root or an app.

I bought a Type C micro sd reader for photo and video files I don't want to add onto the 32GB of internal storage

Amazon.com: Monoprice Dual Mode USB-C MicroSD Reader (113506): Computers & Accessories
    Yup. Got one.
    10-12-2015 03:40 PM
    Most don't store stuff in the clouds other wise this discussion would be moot.
    10-29-2015 06:38 PM
    <<I bought a Type C micro sd reader for photo and video files I don't want to add onto the 32GB of internal storage

Amazon.com: Monoprice Dual Mode USB-C MicroSD Reader (113506): Computers & Accessories>>

Do they actually work? I bought two different kinds from Amazon that don't along with a number of cables and adapters that don't work. The Nexus 5X is my first smart phone and while some stuff WOWS me (like the GPS) the process of setting custom ringtones for each caller STILL eludes me as well as figuring how to get pictures and videos off without having to use a (metered!!) internet connection. It shouldn't be this hard. )-:

thanks in advance for any help = new the forum, too - haven't quite figured out how to quote.
    03-24-2016 06:19 PM
    I bought this one, and it has worked great so far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A1...cUvbUpU5083821
    03-24-2016 07:40 PM

A lot of companies, not just Google, went away from the SD Card slot in 2015. It wasn't a good move, and some are already moving back to the slot.

As for the 5X, it was a cost saving move by LG. Google wanted a cheaper option than the 6P (why the 6P doesn't have the SD Card slot is beyond me), so they commissioned LG to make a cheaper phone. The limited storage was one solution. Smaller processor another. Slower camera another. Etc. It's not a perfect phone, and I hate the fact that I fill up the 32GB a lot, but it's still a great phone and for the money, it can't be beat. Let's see what HTC offers later this year with the new Nexus line phones. I'm sure they'll bring back the SD Card, just like Sammy did.
    03-25-2016 07:55 AM
    Well.... there was a lot of discussion about this over the years, and at first I thought it was a matter of Google looking to lean on its own cloud offerings, but I think the explanation is a little bit more simple. I think Google weighed their benefits against the cons and came to the conclusion that they aren't worth the trouble, and then figured they could lean on things like Google Photos and Drive and Music to extend storage.

SD cards are a bit of a pain... First, there's the hardware involved in adding the reader. Most are combining it with the SIM tray now, which cleans things up a bit. But then its a matter of supporting. There are a TON of junk cards on the market. And more often than not, people just pick the cheapest one they can find... and with SD cards, you really DO get what you pay for as the cheapest ones are media that Samsung and Sandisk (the two main manufacturers of the memory chips) tested and determined that there might be some quality control issues. So rather than toss them in the trash, they sell them in bulk at a reduced cost to the cheaper SD card brands. So that cheap SD card you buy is basically a like buying from the 'scratch and dent' section of your local furniture store. And if a phone goes haywire due to a bad card, people most likely blame the phone, not the cheap card.
    03-25-2016 09:53 AM