5X is NOT Quick Charge 2.0 compatible, but has 'Fast Charge' technology - implications?

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
USB Type-C is only a connector spec though.

But the 5X and 6P are USB 2.0 devices.

So.. yeah. I'm still confused.

Is Fast Charge on the 5X and 6P Quick Charge 2.0 compatible?

The 5X ships with this charger: USB Type-C 15W (5V/3A) charger.

No. QC 2.0 is a proprietary standard (with a special controller power controller) that must have QC enabled on both the device and the charger.

So if the phone isn't QC-compliant, the QC charger will detect that and default to a 5V/2A charging rate max (as a safety feature). The 6P and 5X have USB-C PD, which is basically a different kind of quick-charging standard. According to what you sourced, using USB-C PD will require that "PD-aware devices implement a flexible power management scheme by interfacing with the power source through a bidirectional data channel and requesting a certain level of electrical power, variable up to 5 A and 20 V depending on supported profile." So it's similar in the sense that USB-C PD needs to interface with the charger just as QC 2.0 does.

Bottom line:
To use QC 2.0: QC-enabled phone needs to interface with a QC-compliant charger.
To use USB PD (6P and 5X): USB-PD phone needs to interface with a USB-PD compliant charger.

Different standards, different protocols. Even if USB-PD allowed for higher charging rates with non-USB PD chargers the Qualcomm Quick Charge circuitry in the charger would stop the phone from drawing more than 2A/5V

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Interesting info from the Nexus 6p Q&A thread. Russell was using an Anker QC 2.0 brick (post #213)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...s-get-some-questions-going-9.html#post4760245

"Interesting data so far on USB A-C cables through my meter.

A USB 3.0 cable I got from ZUK for their Z1 only charged at 1.5a @ 5v

The included USB A-C cable only charged at 1.5a @ 5v

The USB A-C cable OnePlus sells for their 2 was the only cable to trip the "charging rapidly" message on the phone, increasing to 2a @ 5+v.

I don't have a USB C-C meter yet, but Ampere needed to be set in "old measuring method to do anything. I ranged from 1300mA to 1900mA for a few minutes and then dropped to 330mA to 930mA. Phone says it will need 1hr 30min to fully charge from 30% connected to the Huawei charger."

EDIT: more testing by Droid-Life
http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-nexus-5x-quick-charge/

so, it appears that "charging rapidly" is being triggered with a 5V/2A charger, but not all cables are allowing this amperage to pass...

Last edited:

brinox

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty annoyed that Google went ahead with Quick Charge 2.0 capabilities on the Nexus 6 and then omitted it with the Nexus 5X/6P. I did some testing with my Nexus 5 (2013) last night and Ampere showed no more than 1000mA. I guess I can't be upset with at least double that coming from the 4 recently purchased QC 2.0 chargers I bought on Amazon. Sadly it sounds like its going to depend on the cables, which are still hard to find.

xspeedy

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Read the article below, but basically QuickCharge was a mechanism to cheat the maximum power limits allowed by legacy USB standards. The cheat involved adding a hardware handshake between the charger and the device. Apple has theirs, and Qualcomm has QuickCharge.

USB type C changes the power standards such that similar performance to QuickCharge is available with options for much higher performance for larger devices such as laptops. USB "C" allows for something like 3A at 5V or 15W. Google for whatever chose not to incorporate QuickCharge as a transitory legacy technology until more USB-C chargers are on the market. The negative is that you need to go run out and purchase new chargers for your Nexus 5X or 6P.

Well, since there is this stupid policy for newbs to post links, Google for this phrase. The article is on phonenews.

Intel, Qualcomm, and Why Your Nexus 5X & 6P Can’t QuickCharge with USB-C

dom2114

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Read the article below, but basically QuickCharge was a mechanism to cheat the maximum power limits allowed by legacy USB standards. The cheat involved adding a hardware handshake between the charger and the device. Apple has theirs, and Qualcomm has QuickCharge.

USB type C changes the power standards such that similar performance to QuickCharge is available with options for much higher performance for larger devices such as laptops. USB "C" allows for something like 3A at 5V or 15W. Google for whatever chose not to incorporate QuickCharge as a transitory legacy technology until more USB-C chargers are on the market. The negative is that you need to go run out and purchase new chargers for your Nexus 5X or 6P.

Well, since there is this stupid policy for newbs to post links, Google for this phrase. The article is on phonenews.

Intel, Qualcomm, and Why Your Nexus 5X & 6P Can’t QuickCharge with USB-C

This is the clearest explanation I've read on this issue to date. Thanks for sharing.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My Moto X Pure with 25W Turbocharger charges at 3650mah. The absolute fastest I saw my 5x charge was 2650. Thats a large difference.

xspeedy

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
And to be clear, the 5V at 3A is the standard USB-C power delivery with the PD option going up to 100W (for laptops and such). Per the article, QuickCharge allowed for 18W. There may be other standards that go higher. Don't know much about those.

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
And to be clear, the 5V at 3A is the standard USB-C power delivery with the PD option going up to 100W (for laptops and such). Per the article, QuickCharge allowed for 18W. There may be other standards that go higher. Don't know much about those.

Exactly. Any OP2 or Nexii owners that have tried charging using a Chromebook Pixel or MacBook type-c charger? I'd be interested to see how fast they charge on 60W chargers.

Edit: oops just read the article and the Nexus 5X and 6P don't support USB-PD. Damnit!

JNavas

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Just because Google promotes only USB Type-C charging does not mean that other fast charging methods aren't also supported. I've verified (using a USB Type-C adapter) that my new Nexus 5X will fast charge on a Ventev Quick Charge 2.0 car charger and on a PowerGen 12W wall charger (using a USB Type-C adapter). The phone does say "Charging" instead of "Charging rapidly", but the actual charging rate is still fast, comparable in speed to the included USB Type-C LG charger.​ (In the image below, PowerGen on the left, LG on the right, both charging at about 1% per minute, roughly the same as my old Nexus 5.)

Charging.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just because Google promotes only USB Type-C charging does not mean that other fast charging methods aren't also supported. I've verified (using a USB Type-C adapter) that my new Nexus 5X will fast charge on a Ventev Quick Charge 2.0 car charger and on a PowerGen 12W wall charger (using a USB Type-C adapter). The phone does say "Charging" instead of "Charging rapidly", but the actual charging rate is still fast, comparable in speed to the included USB Type-C LG charger.​ (In the image below, PowerGen on the left, LG on the right, both charging at about 1% per minute, roughly the same as my old Nexus 5.)

View attachment 203421

Use an app like Ampere to show the actual charging rate.

solidsnake1298

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think I can definitely answer this question if anyone is still confused.

In Anandtech's Nexus 5X review they used 3 different chargers:

1) The included 15W (5V/3A) type C charger
2) A Chromebook Pixel 60W type C charger
3) A QC 2.0 certified 18W charger

All 3 charged the 5X from 0% to 100% in 1.33 hours. The USB controller used in the Nexus 5X supports USB power delivery. So while the 5X is not QC 2.0 certified it will draw up to 15W if the charger supports it.

(Search for Nexus 5X review on Anandtech's website and go to page 5)

I bought a Aukey car charger (with a type A to type C cable) and when the cable is plugged in to the QC 2.0 port my 5X registers it as "rapidly charging." I cannot confirm how much amperage the 5X draws, but when I leave work with about 40% charge remaining it is at 100% when I get home. My commute is about 55 minutes long.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2