What will the Nexus 5X cost in the UK?

hwvlover

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Irritates.

The 5x 16gb is priced in the USA at $379 which converts at today's rate of exchange to £250
Google are charging £339 in the UK.

The 5x 32gb is priced in the USA at $429 which converts to £282.
Google are charging £379 in the UK.

Grrrrrrr.

The only good news is that Carphone Warehouse, one of our leading phone retailers, is only charging £299 for the 16gb and £349 for the 32gb.

I shall find out later if Google will match those prices and, if not, why not.

Rant over.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: UK pricing

I don't think the US prices include tax so add on 20% like our VAT and things aren't quite so bad. In fact CPW doing pretty well with their pricing. They undercut Google on the nexus 5 launch last time also and I got my moto X play from them for less than Motorola so it must be something they do

Posted via the Android Central App

hwvlover

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site

I don't think the US prices include tax so add on 20% like our VAT and things aren't quite so bad.

Agreed. However we in the UK are not getting the Google Play $50 credit either.

And we can be sure that Carphone Warehouse are still making a profit on every 5x unit they sell.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

I'm in the US. The prices on Google Store do not include sales tax. But no state that I know of has a sales tax as high as 20%. 5-6% is probably average.

Posted via the Android Central App

lordratner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Taxes, bro.

I'm an American living in the UK, and I was blown away by how expensive everything here is. But Europe in general taxes the **** out of you guys, at least compared to the US. Free healthcare isn't so free I guess.

hwvlover

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site

I am more interested in Google's initial pricing and that a UK retailer can provide the phone for near £40 less!!! There really is no point in buying the 5x from Google if you are in the UK.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I am more interested in Google's initial pricing and that a UK retailer can provide the phone for near £40 less!!! There really is no point in buying the 5x from Google if you are in the UK.

A large part of the reason that the Nexus devices are a lot cheaper in the US in that Google decided to only sell the devices directly. No carriers and no other retailers. Doing this allows them to price the phone lower as bringing in other retailers are carriers requires a higher price so that they can make money off the device too. This is a large part to why the Nexus 6 was so expensive last year as it was sold by all the carriers as well as Amazon and Best Buy who all wanted their cut too.

TheEdge65

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

A large part of the reason that the Nexus devices are a lot cheaper in the US in that Google decided to only sell the devices directly. No carriers and no other retailers. Doing this allows them to price the phone lower as bringing in other retailers are carriers requires a higher price so that they can make money off the device too. This is a large part to why the Nexus 6 was so expensive last year as it was sold by all the carriers as well as Amazon and Best Buy who all wanted their cut too.

I think his point is in direct conflict with yours. You're point is: they are cheaper in the US as no 3rd party vendors involved. His point is: Why are they cheaper from a 3rd party vendor (Carphonewarehouse) than Google direct. The whole, "we should get them in the UK at the direct exchange rate for what US customers are paying" is nonsense, life and economies don't work like that.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I think his point is in direct conflict with yours. You're point is: they are cheaper in the US as no 3rd party vendors involved. His point is: Why are they cheaper from a 3rd party vendor (Carphonewarehouse) than Google direct. The whole, "we should get them in the UK at the direct exchange rate for what US customers are paying" is nonsense, life and economies don't work like that.

What I was trying to say is Google probably had to set a price to allow for carriers and third party vendors to make a decent profit for each phone sold. If one of those parties wants to make less than what Google set as the MSRP for the UK that is up to them but I would be Google's deal with these vendors is they will sell only at that MSRP for a certain period of time.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
The Nexus now looks like great deal in comparison to HTC's new phone. £429 for inferior specifications to the US version that's $399.

Yeah, HTC undoubtedly steals the crown from Google for ridiculous UK pricing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tech_Lover

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

This phone is awesome. Can't say more on this, desperate to buy this one.
I got more valuable info about the phone here : goo.gl/jSr2eY