Is the Nexus 5X MHL Slimport compatible?

rti35

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Essentially what I'm asking is, has anyone heard whether or not the 5X will have video output via some type of cable?

I just bought a new JVC head unit that let's me mirror the display from the phone and control the phone from the head unit as well (using JVC's app).

I've searched around and couldn't find an answer.. I'm currently using a G4 which works great, however I also have a GS6 which doesn't support video output. Because no Wi-Fi is available while driving, chromecast isn't an option.

I loved the Nexus 5 but had to get rid of it because it didn't work with T-Mobile's Wi-Fi texting/calling. Apparently the 5X will work with that feature, so I'm looking to get it. Whether or not it can output video via cable is going to be the deciding purchase factor. Thanks in advance

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5X - MHL/Slimport compatible?

Pretty sure in the reddit ama they said no...buy a chromecast (what they said, not me).

rti35

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Spoke with a Google store rep last night who confirmed that the 5X will NOT output video via USB type-C to HDMI cable. BUMMER :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as hardware goes, when I think of what makes a "true" Android device, I think of the following 3 things:

1. Removable battery
2. Additional storage via microSD
3. HDMI output

The 5X has neither of these. And it's a shame because it looks like it's going to be an awesome phone.

Guess I'll be with my G4 for the long haul

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Why don't you just get a Chromecast? They're like 30 bucks and it seems a whole lot more convenient than using an HDMI cable.

Posted via the Android Central App

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Why don't you just get a Chromecast? They're like 30 bucks and it seems a whole lot more convenient than using an HDMI cable.

Yep - and obviously Google prefers you do this too. :-$

But it works pretty slick.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site

Spoke with a Google store rep last night who confirmed that the 5X will NOT output video via USB type-C to HDMI cable. BUMMER :(

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as hardware goes, when I think of what makes a "true" Android device, I think of the following 3 things:

1. Removable battery
2. Additional storage via microSD
3. HDMI output

The 5X has neither of these. And it's a shame because it looks like it's going to be an awesome phone.

Guess I'll be with my G4 for the long haul

So Nexus has never been a true android device then I guess?

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

Yep - and obviously Google prefers you do this too. :-$

But it works pretty slick.

My old phone had HDMI output. I think I plugged it into my TV once just to see what would happen. On the other hand, I used my roommate's Chromecast all the time to watch Netflix or HBO or YouTube or whatever. That $30 is completely worth it so you don't have to get up off the couch every time you need to go to the next episode or check a text.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

I would point out there are scenarios where a chromecast is useless and hdmi output useful. In hotels, for example. That being said, not surprised they did not include it...

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, the one time I tried that, my mobile connection was not reliable so it did not pan out. But yeah, I guess theoretically it's supposed to work. Have you tried it successfully? Just curious. Thanks.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Ah... no. :cool: Havent had a need yet... but this now makes me curious since you had some issues. Try turning off mobile data and see if you can simply cast your screen as they mentioned in the article.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech