I got my Nexus 5X (First Impressions, User Reviews)

chris20nyy

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Mine has just been delivered

Wasn't sure if that was from the same cycle. Would still put it at around 4 hours SoT
actually it would put it at around 4:15-4:20. On a brand new device right out of the box with absolutely no calibration /breaking in.

But that's not necessary, right?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

actually it would put it at around 4:15-4:20. On a brand new device right out of the box with absolutely no calibration /breaking in.

But that's not necessary, right?
Won't make too much of a difference. Rather disappointing that they couldn't make the smaller phone have better battery life. Now I'd like to see how the 6P holds up

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk

anon(5650786)

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

What's the shutter speed like when taking pictures? Does is snap quickly or is there any delay?

Well done for getting it early and starting this thread.

smithy1983uk

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Good morning everybody going to catch up with the questions on this thread

speaker volume & clarity

its a little quite until you get past 75% then it does get loud

Is the screen flat or does it have curved edges?

look pretty flat to me screen protector was abit of a pain to put on but it was only a cheap thing waiting on a tempered glass to arrive

How is build quality? And creaks or rattles? Any backlight bleeding?

very good no creaks or rattles feels good in the hand feels solid like it could take some punishment

Did you get a case for it?

yes i got 2

Orzly® - FlexiCase http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4756538

Nexus 5X Case, Ringke FUSION http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4756538

both fit perfect but i prefer Orzly® - FlexiCase because its got a perfect cut out for the fingerprint scanner

What's the shutter speed like when taking pictures?

very fast far far faster then my samsung galaxy s5

just a little bit about the battery it was my first day with it so it was not normal usage for it there was alot of apps i was messing around with with some luck today should be a more representative use for me ill post my discharge graph and charge graph later tonight

TheEdge65

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

She's here ! Mine was down for delivery tomorrow from CPW but 5 mins ago the delivery guy rang my doorbell and said, "You've got free Sunday delivery". POWERING UP !

flattie

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Just had mine delivered a day early, too. Great stuff.

Here's some quick thoughts (hope OP doesn't mind a small hijack):

1. I got the black one - the material is soft to touch, but not in the same way the original N5 was. The N5 had a grippy kind of feel - this material feels more solid, but silky smooth to the touch. I like it. The edge material is the same as the rear material too.

2. The gap between the glass and frame seems a lot tighter this time - I'm hopeful that there won't be as much dirt finding its way into that area as with the N5, for those of us who don't use cases.

3. The dimensions are lovely. I've come from a Nexus 6 and this just feels so much nicer to hold. Slim and light are the words that fit best.

4. Nice to be back on an IPS too - I prefer the more muted colours. It is as good as the N5 screen. The increase to 5.2" doesn't have any impact on the sharpness as far as I can tell.

5. The buttons protrude a nice distance and have a good clicky feel to them. They don't feel as sharp around the edges as they did on the N5. Small amount of rattle if that sort of thing bothers you.

6. The Nexus logo is printed instead of being inlaid. The logo and fingerprint scanner ring are a dark grey (graphite?) colour.

7. The fingerprint scanner is fast and reliable. It gives a single vibration for a successful attempt and a double for a failed attempt. Just touch the scanner to activate the phone.

8. Camera opens quickly and the auto-focus seems reliable and rapid. Haven't got much more to say about the camera yet.

9. The OS feels slightly slower than 5.1.1 on the N6. Very smooth, but more delibrately paced, if that makes sense. I wonder if that's more Marshmallow than the hardware - particularly as this benchmarks in the same region as last year's N6.

10. Ambient display seems to work at least as well as my N6 - although it's early days still.

That's all I have for now. It's a good start though and exactly the phone I wanted last year.

androidnoob12

May 28, 2014
Visit site

Please share some low light photos as well, that is the last thing holding me back. Thanks for your contribution so far!

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Won't make too much of a difference. Rather disappointing that they couldn't make the smaller phone have better battery life. Now I'd like to see how the 6P holds up

Sent from my Note 4 using Tapatalk

Considering the phone may have restored from a backup/downloaded all his apps, we're not sure what his brightness was at, it wasn't even a full cycle, and it was the first charge period, you have zero idea about the battery life of this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

ElHamlet

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site

How is the RAM management? It's the one thing keeping me from getting an S6 and would like to know if apps stay open longer in the memory than they do on the Galaxy. Cheers!

original00

May 13, 2010
Visit site

Anyone test out with quick charge adapter? Compare charging speed with included charger vs quick charge 2.0?

cooperb21

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

Can anyone comment on speaker quality? I know there not front facing are they at least decent or as good as iphone. I always found speakers weak point of alot Android phones.

roop27

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site

Can anyone comment on speaker quality? I know there not front facing are they at least decent or as good as iphone. I always found speakers weak point of alot Android phones.

It is front facing....

cooperb21

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site

It is front facing....

Good to know i guess im getting the Nexus 5x then. I actually think it would do better in games but maybe i should wait for the Comparisons to come out. Even if the 6P has 1g more ram and better chip im pretty sure the QUAD HD display will hurt it big time in most demanding games and the 1080p Nexus 5X will win in alot of the games FPS wise.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Good to know i guess im getting the Nexus 5x then. I actually think it would do better in games but maybe i should wait for the Comparisons to come out. Even if the 6P has 1g more ram and better chip im pretty sure the QUAD HD display will hurt it big time in most demanding games and the 1080p Nexus 5X will win in alot of the games FPS wise.

Not to mention the "better chip" is debatable.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Really it thought that was not debatable? It has more ram and newer specs.

The 810, regardless of version, has had issues with throttling/overheating. At this point, it wouldn't deter me from buying a phone using the chipset, but I'm not sure I'd say it was better than the 808. Although being able to utilize DDR4 RAM helps it's case.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

How's the camera in low light and with fast moving subjects i.e. a turbo charged toddler. These are the two things keeping me from pulling the trigger. The lack of quick updates and support from Samsung have me on the fence with selling my Note 5 and scooping this up.

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site

Really it thought that was not debatable? It has more ram and newer specs.

The drawback is the power the GPU on that chip has to muscle up to push the Quad HD Screen. It has the better chip and ram to be able to push those higher end specs. You have to give up something to push that quad HD screen though and it will be power draw from the components that has the job of pushing that big screen. IMO the 6p will do better on battery but it won't be other worldly except for standby with doze. When you fire up that screen though it will put a big dent in the battery life, but if the 6p was full HD like the 5x it would be better for the battery. The Battery will be respectable for the 5x with that kind of screen, it could have been way worse if they pulled a Samsung and put a Quad HD screen with such a smaller battery. But since google was guiding this LG did the smart thing and put just a regular Full HD which is great IMO.