I got my Nexus 5X (First Impressions, User Reviews)

unity04

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Mine has just been delivered

Glad you're enjoying the phone, mine should be arriving early this week!

A few questions:
  • Do you notice any lag when having multiple apps open or switching between them? Concern regarding the 2GB RAM
  • Does the speaker output a hollow sound similar to the Nexus 5? I remember there was an issue where music playing on the stock Google Music app would sound like it had a heavy reverb overlay on and Google even made the speaker holes larger in the 2nd batch of phones which still didn't quite fix it
  • If you use Twitter, do you notice any lag when scrolling through your home feed with images turned on?
  • Do you notice any light bleed in the 4 corners? Also any bleed if you tilt the phone and look up from the bottom?
  • Are there any creaks from the back plate's plastic bending over to the sides?
  • Is there any lag when swipping to the Google Now panel on the home screen?
  • Under Dev. Mode, is there a way to make animations 0.75x, or do we only have the options for 0.50x and 1.00x?
  • When audio stops coming out of the speaker, does the faint hissing noise from the speaker simply fade out or can you hear it turning off like a slight pop?

Last edited:

smithy1983uk

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

If you click the little clock icon on the left, it will let you change shutter speed, then turn the dial on the right and that should do it, thank you!

Posted via the Android Central App
it goes from 1/5 to 1/64000 if thats the information your looking for

the app does seem to have a issue tho everything is upside down and when you rotate the phone it keeps rotating lol to may need a fix

Mo ZedEl

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site

it goes from 1/5 to 1/64000 if thats the information your looking for

the app does seem to have a issue tho everything is upside down and when you rotate the phone it keeps rotating lol to may need a fix

Thank you very much for your help!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Fantastic job Smithy (plus Fattie! and new owners). I like your concise style.

I just looked at CPW online. I see you are on EE which I prefer having tried temporary sims.
I can't believe 5gb plans are only 31.99 with no upfront, for a 16gb 5X. I'm paying 20 - 25 a month for a Three sim only.

10gb would be nice at £44.99, cheaper on O2 !!! smh. Some good deals on this!
I didn't think I could upgrade to something decent for a while.

How is Android 6.0? Can we see an About phone screen when you have time in the week - to drool on.
I want to become a Nexus voyeur / perv like everyone else here. :D

Thanks again.

On Edit: Only add £49.99 upfront for the 32gb. Exciting.

Rails Ruby

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Can anyone comment on speaker quality? I know there not front facing are they at least decent or as good as iphone. I always found speakers weak point of alot Android phones.

You'd be kidding. iPhone don't have good speakers At all even Moto g 3rd gen sounds better to me than my iPhone 6s. I had all Samsung phones from 2015 s6, s6 edge, note 5 and last I had s6 edge+ they all were better than iPhone 6s I am htc fan in term of speakers and iPhone don't even come close to them In my opinion iPhone speakers are really power very bad for music I should say but I like the overall experience but I am into nexus 6p cuz of stereo speakers and AMOLeD display

smithy1983uk

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Do you notice any lag when having multiple apps open or switching between them? Concern regarding the 2GB RAM
Nope seems to run very well especially when compared to my s5

Does the speaker output a hollow sound similar to the Nexus 5? I remember there was an issue where music playing on the stock Google Music app would sound like it had a heavy reverb overlay on and Google even made the speaker holes larger in the 2nd batch of phones which still didn't quite fix it
Sounds fine to me

If you use Twitter, do you notice any lag when scrolling through your home feed with images turned on?
Im using the plume twitter app withthe images turned on seems to hold up pretty well when scrolling

Do you notice any light bleed in the 4 corners? Also any bleed if you tilt the phone and look up from the bottom?
No

Are there any creaks from the back plate's plastic bending over to the sides?
nope

Is there any lag when swipping to the Google Now panel on the home screen?

No lag alot better then my s5 was with the google now launcher

Under Dev. Mode, is there a way to make animations 0.75x, or do we only have the options for 0.50x and 1.00x?

There is no 0.75 just 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2x, 5x, 10x

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I'd even say the 808 is better. More efficient at least, and without the past issues of overheating and throttling

Wouldn't fault anyone for feeling that way. I just look at it like the 810 isn't a pro for the 6P and a con for the 5X.

smithy1983uk

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Fantastic job Smithy (plus Fattie! and new owners). I like your concise style.

I just looked at CPW online. I see you are on EE which I prefer having tried temporary sims.
I can't believe 5gb plans are only 31.99 with no upfront, for a 16gb 5X. I'm paying 20 - 25 a month for a Three sim only.

10gb would be nice at £44.99, cheaper on O2 !!! smh. Some good deals on this!
I didn't think I could upgrade to something decent for a while.

How is Android 6.0? Can we see an About phone screen when you have time in the week - to drool on.
I want to become a Nexus voyeur / perv like everyone else here. :D

Thanks again.

stock Andriod 6.0 is pretty great glad i have finally got rid of the touch wiz ui of the s5 everything just runs a lot more smoothly

about phone screen just for you lol 4.png

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Nice thread. Thanks for taking the time to post pics and answer peoples questions.

Just wanting to know, what are you overall first impressions with the phone? Happy with it? Anything it does better/worse than you expected?

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5x brief review and first impressions

Yeah I asked and a few others did and he never responded about low light pictures and since you posted about the quality specifically in your thread I was hoping you could post an example. No worries though. Thanks for the info.

smithy1983uk

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Nice thread. Thanks for taking the time to post pics and answer peoples questions.

Just wanting to know, what are you overall first impressions with the phone? Happy with it? Anything it does better/worse than you expected?

Very happy with it just so much better experience then my old s5 chrome runs so smooth now

The finger print scanner is great really fast and reliable I don't think it's failed to unlock once

My 2 main issues with it

The stock Google camera app is barebones at best
The headphone jack is on the bottom right which seems odd

It is taller then I expected also

Last edited:

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

I first want to echo everyone else and thank you for taking time to answer all our burning questions!

When you say the camera app is barebones, are there any specific features or settings that you're particularly missing?

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine has just been delivered

The size is what I'm worried about. You mention it being tall. If at all possible could you take a comparison pic? Mine is in order but may cancel or send back if it's too big and I'll keep my iPhone 6s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aalin13

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Like many said, really appreciate the time taken to show us details of the phone. I have a few questions about it that I'm hoping you can take time to answer for me:

1. Can you post a photo in low light condition? I rarely take videos, but I'm interested in how the lack of EIS/OIS impact low light photos

2. More update on the battery will be great, I noticed on the second day, the phone went from 100% - around 40% with 2 hours of SOT, is my estimation of 40% from the battery graph about right? If 60% of usage = 2 hours of SOT, that means at best we'll see about 3.5 hours of SOT from full to empty. Not great, but definitely an improvement from the 2013 N5

3. How well does the phone handle 3D games? Interested to know how the SD808 performs? I'm assuming with FHD, the GPU should be more than fast enough. Does the phone get warm? Stuttery when pushed?

Thanks, much appreciate your answers to this thread :)

WinstonSmith#AC

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

On Amazon.com there are some USB C to USB A cables by Spigen that are $10/each.

OnePlus is selling an USB C to microUSB adapter for $5/each.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I have heard a lot of folks say that they can be had very cheaply, but I've never had anyone give specifics. I appreciate it and will go and check them out.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site

The size is what I'm worried about. You mention it being tall. If at all possible could you take a comparison pic? Mine is in order but may cancel or send back if it's too big and I'll keep my iPhone 6s.

If he can't supply photos, this is a pretty handy site for phone size comparison Visual Phone Size Comparison. You can even overlay different phones.

smithy1983uk

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I first want to echo everyone else and thank you for taking time to answer all our burning questions!

When you say the camera app is barebones, are there any specific features or settings that you're particularly missing?

things like brightness, white balance ,effects filters modes for the camerajust seem to be not there im going to have to have a good look at it tomorrow or im just going to get a 3rd party app

Most interested in audio volume through headphones. Louder than S5? Loud like HTC m8.

louder then the s5 dont know about the m8 tho never had one

once thing i have just noticed the headphone jack does require a bit of force to get the connection in and out a lot more then the s5

next to the s5

2.jpg

Like many said, really appreciate the time taken to show us details of the phone. I have a few questions about it that I'm hoping you can take time to answer for me:

1. Can you post a photo in low light condition? I rarely take videos, but I'm interested in how the lack of EIS/OIS impact low light photos

2. More update on the battery will be great, I noticed on the second day, the phone went from 100% - around 40% with 2 hours of SOT, is my estimation of 40% from the battery graph about right? If 60% of usage = 2 hours of SOT, that means at best we'll see about 3.5 hours of SOT from full to empty. Not great, but definitely an improvement from the 2013 N5

3. How well does the phone handle 3D games? Interested to know how the SD808 performs? I'm assuming with FHD, the GPU should be more than fast enough. Does the phone get warm? Stuttery when pushed?

Thanks, much appreciate your answers to this thread :)

most of these i cant answer haven't had a good mess around with the camera tbh ive never been good with them anyway
ill put a few games on tomorrow
and ill update the battery tomorrow as well it will be a more Representative of my daily use tomorrow with it being a week day

well i am off to bed will check in tomorrow there should be alot more peolpe with them tomorrow