Using the Nexus 5X on Verizon?

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I'll let you know in a few days when mine arrives. I plan to take it to a corporate store here in town. Hopefully they'll give me a nano SIM without too much hassle (current VZW phone uses a micro and I don't want to try to cut it down myself).

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X work fine on Verizon | Android Central

Verizon customers are always wary — for good reason — when looking at unlocked phones. That's no different with the new Nexus 6P and Nexus 5X, which of course technically support Verizon's radio bands but aren't officially supported by the carrier.

Well, we're happy to report that both new Nexuses do work on the Verizon network, with one expected caveat — you're going to need a SIM that's already set up and ready to go on the carrier. As is standard operating procedure for the carrier with unlocked phones, Verizon isn't going to start up service for you and hand over a fresh SIM if you walk in the door with a Nexus 6P or 5X.

But if you already have an active line and are just ordering a new phone to put it in, you'll be good to go for the most part. There's no guarantee of the best network quality, extra features or customer support — but the phones are compatible with the network and you'll be able to pop in a SIM and go.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Activated new SIM for 5X, about 2hrs up, VZW working . . . no problems noted so far.

Last edited:

cunninsa

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I tried to activate with Verizon tonight - a new card since I'm coming from Straight Talk AT&T. Even thought their system says phone is compatible through IMEI check, the system wouldn't allow them to add a plan to the phone thus no service :/

toddmanguy

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Received my 32gb Carbon 5x today.

I have a Verizon prepaid account but my old phone uses a micro sim. At the Verizon retail store they could not activate a nano size with the Nexus 5x IMEI and refused to activate a nano size for the old phone IMEI so that I could just pop it in and try it on the Nexus. Went home and cut the sim to nano size using a template I found online and it is working great. Just for the heck of it, I bought a Verizon nano sim on Ebay that I will try to activate with the old IMEI. Might fit better than my little hack job. If not, the trimmed version appears to be fine. No Google Fi early access in my area so stuck with Verizon for now....

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I've never used the same SIM on different phones, do you literally and simply just move it from one phone to the other (assuming same size and it's currently activated, that part I understand) and the new phone is ready to rock?

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I had customer service activate new SIM on old phone and then transfered to 5X. No problems. I did have to dial *228 and restart phone to get SIM working.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
So far the only Verizon issue I've had is the data widget doesn't work. Of course I'm likely switching to T-Mobile soon so not a big deal. Everything else works fine after I moved my SIM card over from my Moto X 2014.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Received my 32gb Carbon 5x today.

I have a Verizon prepaid account but my old phone uses a micro sim. At the Verizon retail store they could not activate a nano size with the Nexus 5x IMEI and refused to activate a nano size for the old phone IMEI so that I could just pop it in and try it on the Nexus. Went home and cut the sim to nano size using a template I found online and it is working great. Just for the heck of it, I bought a Verizon nano sim on Ebay that I will try to activate with the old IMEI. Might fit better than my little hack job. If not, the trimmed version appears to be fine. No Google Fi early access in my area so stuck with Verizon for now....

Shame they wouldn't do it for you. When you say retail store, do you mean one of the authorized retailers? I'm going to head to a corporate store here in town on my lunch break today. Hopefully they'll accommodate me. Otherwise I guess I'll be cutting my micro.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I've never used the same SIM on different phones, do you literally and simply just move it from one phone to the other (assuming same size and it's currently activated, that part I understand) and the new phone is ready to rock?

yes. as long as it's the same size. If it's larger, you'll have to cut the sim down to fit.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
So far the only Verizon issue I've had is the data widget doesn't work. Of course I'm likely switching to T-Mobile soon so not a big deal. Everything else works fine after I moved my SIM card over from my Moto X 2014.

what are you using for visual voicemail? the VZW Vis Voicemail app for Nexus isn't getting past the authorizing screen... I assume I need to wait until these phones are in there system?

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Shout out to my local Verizon store. They couldn't activate the nano SIM with the Nexus, but they were happy to activate it with a dummy phone so I'm rocking and rolling now.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
what are you using for visual voicemail? the VZW Vis Voicemail app for Nexus isn't getting past the authorizing screen... I assume I need to wait until these phones are in there system?

I use Google Voice for voicemail and to be fair no one ever leaves me messages anyway so it doesn't really matter for me anyway.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I use Google Voice for voicemail and to be fair no one ever leaves me messages anyway so it doesn't really matter for me anyway.

yeah, I used to use google voice for the longest time. I have a google voice number as well as my sim number (my sim number is the one I give out to people). can I still use my sim number to do visual voicemail even though I have a separate Google Voice number that people sometimes call too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech