Using the Nexus 5X on Verizon?

Josh Burchell

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
What widget do you have? When I had the Moto X Pure I thought I saw one in the play store that said Nexus.

Would you say that other than the widget the phone works like any other phone should work on Verizon? I'm just trying to find out what some differences are that may not be fixable.

I actually have tried both. I can get inside and utilize the app, but I can't get the widget to work. Not a really big deal for us, we have 4 folks on a 10gb plan and only use around 5gb total each month; however, I can see how some users may need the widget working.

drivingon9

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
On the topic of volte, has anyone here had the issue where the menu option "enhanced 4g lte mode" is simply not in network settings menu?

I can't for the life of me get to see that option. I've made sure I have advanced calling turned on through myverizon, I've gone through the *# menu to make sure provisional volte is on, I've rebooted a million times, reinstalled my sim a bunch of times, but I still can't see the menu option (I only see data roaming, preferred network type, system select, and access point names).

Any help would be hugely appreciated. No simultaneous voice and data is a huge hindrance for me.

Thanks!

Rugenstat

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Are you able to use advanced calling with Google Voice handling voice mail? I found that with both enabled, sometimes calls would go directly to voice mail even when I was in a good coverage area with my phone on. Toggling airplane mode would fix it, but going back to VZW's v/m seems to eliminate the problem entirely.

When I first enabled advanced calling on VZW it all got messed up. So I reverted back to VZW voicemail then I removed my VZW number from GV and re-set it all up again. Seems to be working fine when I test it now. I don't get many VM, so it's hard to say it's working 100% all the time for me.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
On the topic of volte, has anyone here had the issue where the menu option "enhanced 4g lte mode" is simply not in network settings menu?

I can't for the life of me get to see that option. I've made sure I have advanced calling turned on through myverizon, I've gone through the *# menu to make sure provisional volte is on, I've rebooted a million times, reinstalled my sim a bunch of times, but I still can't see the menu option (I only see data roaming, preferred network type, system select, and access point names).

Any help would be hugely appreciated. No simultaneous voice and data is a huge hindrance for me.

Thanks!
Try removing the option from your account then reboot your phone. Then turn on the option on your account and reboot again. This fixed it for me on both the nexus 6 and mxpe.

Geo_Nexus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Activated new SIM for 5X, about 2hrs up, VZW working . . . no problems noted so far.

Since Verizon doesn't seem to be very accommodating when it comes to new SIMs for unlocked phones, would you mind me asking where you got you new SIM? I'm considering getting a 5Xand my current Verizon phone uses a microSIM.

lnxfrk

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I found the direct approach worked. I walked in with the 5x in hand and said I need a nano SIM activated for this device. The person that helped me didn't recognize the device but a co-worker did. At first they tried to use the IMEI from the device and ran into the issue most have encountered. The manager mentioned that these (would assume 5x and 6p) are on "the list" and said to activate the SIM in another device in store and then swap the SIM into the 5x. This worked for me since I didn't have a previous Verizon SIM to use / or cut.

If you are comfortable with cutting your micro SIM down grab a cutter from Amazon and an adapter in case you want to place that back in the former device for testing.

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I found the direct approach worked. I walked in with the 5x in hand and said I need a nano SIM activated for this device. The person that helped me didn't recognize the device but a co-worker did. At first they tried to use the IMEI from the device and ran into the issue most have encountered. The manager mentioned that these (would assume 5x and 6p) are on "the list" and said to activate the SIM in another device in store and then swap the SIM into the 5x. This worked for me since I didn't have a previous Verizon SIM to use / or cut.

If you are comfortable with cutting your micro SIM down grab a cutter from Amazon and an adapter in case you want to place that back in the former device for testing.

This was my exact experience at my local VZW store when I first got the phone a month ago. They were very helpful.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Since Verizon doesn't seem to be very accommodating when it comes to new SIMs for unlocked phones, would you mind me asking where you got you new SIM? I'm considering getting a 5Xand my current Verizon phone uses a microSIM.

I contacted VZW Corporate, and they express shipped a new SIM card.

mportuesisf

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but has anyone gotten visual voicemail to work on the 5X?

Verizon's regular voicemail works for me, and I can get to it with *86, but it's a bit of a pain to dial that every time. On my old Droid phone I usually got into voicemail simply by tapping the "missed call" notification.

I guess I'd be happy with a one-button solution to get into regular voicemail, but I was curious about Visual Voicemail because there is a Verizon app for it in the Play Store. It's labeled as for the Galaxy Nexus, and was last updated in 2013, so I'm a bit leery of it.

Lastly, I keep getting text messages from Verizon every time a call goes to voicemail. They look something like:

//VZWVVM:SYNC:ev=MBU;dev_t=5

and some of them have even more gibberish. I strongly suspect //VZWVVM: is a code that routes the text message to the visual voicemail app on a Verizon phone, and the rest of the gibberish is a control string recognized by the Visual Voicemail app. It's a minor annoyance, but does anyone know how to make these text messages stop?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is rolling out wifi calling via software update forAdvanced Calling 2.0 to Samsung S6 & S6 Edge this week. Other Android and iPhones will get it early next year. Nexus 5X and 6P are wifi calling enabled in Marshmallow, but do not receive VZW software updates. Anyone know if, how and/or when we might see VZW wifi calling on these devices?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried WiFi calling on VZW? Maybe its already baked in.

I believe it doesn't show within your options right? When I go to "More" within settings I can see a WiFi calling toggle on my 6P since T-Mobile allows it. I think since Verizon doesn't fully allow it yet (like T-Mobile) it won't work.

Do you see this option?

Attachments

• 1449591116050.jpg
    1449591116050.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 33

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
No wifi option on VZW (5X). Of course, we know the phone and the OS is capable of it. Just not sure how it gets enabled on a device that's not officially supported by VZW.

sbwaller

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
RE: simultaneous voice and data not working. It looks like it's a device/radio issue. I reached out to Google Nexus support and they replaced the phone (just received it) and I can confirm that voice and data are working properly. No change to my VZW account and using the same SIM from the original phone.

Hope this helps others - just reach out to Google Nexus Support.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
RE: simultaneous voice and data not working. It looks like it's a device/radio issue. I reached out to Google Nexus support and they replaced the phone (just received it) and I can confirm that voice and data are working properly. No change to my VZW account and using the same SIM from the original phone.

Hope this helps others - just reach out to Google Nexus Support.

Did your other one have the proper Advanced Calling feature for Verizon turned on? This is a must for voice & data on Verizon. Basically it just uses VoLTE.

sbwaller

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Did your other one have the proper Advanced Calling feature for Verizon turned on? This is a must for voice & data on Verizon. Basically it just uses VoLTE.

Yup. Was already enabled. Nothing changed on the account. Spent an hour on the phone with Verizon before reaching out to Google.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the Nexus 5x for a week or so, and I'm going back to the Moto X Pure. Overall, I think the Moto X is a better deal.

The Moto X pure feels better to me - I like the larger screen and the speakers, plus the expandable storage.

The 5x just feels like what it is, a mid-range device, but the Moto X Pure feels a little bit more like a high end device (without the high end price).

The cameras are about the same, really - both are fast and capable, but not quite as good as some of the higher end phones.

I like LG phones, having used a G2 for over two years, but the 5x doesn't feel like a tremendous upgrade over the G2 honestly (even though it is a bit better).

Right now you can get the Moto X Pure for $50 off at Amazon (you have to add it to cart to see the $50 off), so this makes the two phones essentially about the same price.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I am still trying to make a decision on a phone. I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing with their Nexus 5X on Verizon. Are you getting the updates when they are released? Voice and Data working together? Any other issues come up? I'm considering this and the Iphone 6S which I might try first.