Using the Nexus 5X on Verizon?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am still trying to make a decision on a phone. I just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing with their Nexus 5X on Verizon. Are you getting the updates when they are released? Voice and Data working together? Any other issues come up? I'm considering this and the Iphone 6S which I might try first.

Updates - Yes.
Voice & Data - Only when you have VoLTE active (or on WiFi).

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Updates - Yes.
Voice & Data - Only when you have VoLTE active (or on WiFi).

Ok great. I'll give it some more time to see if anyone else replies.

Can you or anyone comment on the display? I used the Moto X Pure for a day and the screen just looked...washed out I guess you could say. I also just watched a video comparing the 5X to the Iphone 6S and the blacks were not very black on the 5X from what I saw.

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm having problems with my 5X on VZW. Please help?

I was using a cut down SIM from my Galaxy S3, and it was flaky (occasional "no sim" messages), so I took it in to a VZW store, and they replaced the SIM with a new one, but the problem is still occurring. I took it back again, and they said that they cannot put a 4G SIM in it because it's not a VZW device, and that is what the problem is. ??!

What should I do?

lnxfrk

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Are you getting the updates when they are released? Voice and Data working together? Any other issues come up? I'm considering this and the Iphone 6S which I might try first.

Updates: Yup, both Nov 2015 security patch came mid November and 6.0.1 patch came in second week of December.

Voice and Data working together: Yes, enable advanced calling in your account and confirmed you can used data during a call.

The only thing I have found annoying but not a big deal in general is I don't get a notification when I receive a voicemail using Verizon's VM. I switched my VM to Google Voice and that works well plus noticed it would add the messages to the dialer like I was used to on T-Mobile.

My 5x still shows up with the generic image in my account so it appears Verizon hasn't officially added the devices to their system. That said if you're going to bump up your data plan or change anything else do it before you add your Nexus 5x. As far as activation if you have an existing SIM cut it to a nano is likely easiest or get a new nano SIM and activate it in another Verizon device. I had the store activate my SIM in a iPhone 6 for me then they swapped that into my 5x.

It's been two months and I'm happy with the 5x and being on Verizon. Good luck!

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Updates: Yup, both Nov 2015 security patch came mid November and 6.0.1 patch came in second week of December.

Voice and Data working together: Yes, enable advanced calling in your account and confirmed you can used data during a call.

The only thing I have found annoying but not a big deal in general is I don't get a notification when I receive a voicemail using Verizon's VM. I switched my VM to Google Voice and that works well plus noticed it would add the messages to the dialer like I was used to on T-Mobile.

My 5x still shows up with the generic image in my account so it appears Verizon hasn't officially added the devices to their system. That said if you're going to bump up your data plan or change anything else do it before you add your Nexus 5x. As far as activation if you have an existing SIM cut it to a nano is likely easiest or get a new nano SIM and activate it in another Verizon device. I had the store activate my SIM in a iPhone 6 for me then they swapped that into my 5x.

It's been two months and I'm happy with the 5x and being on Verizon. Good luck!

Great that you for all of that. I went to the store and looked at the Iphone. It's really nice but I think I just need to stick with Android for now. I'm trying not to spend too much and the 5X is currently $330. I'm still doing my research. Comparing it to other devices. My concern now is the size. I had the Moto X Pure for a day and it was waaaay too big for me. This is a much smaller screen but the size of the 5x overall isn't that much different than the Pure. I guess there is only one way to find out if I'll like it. I just wish the 5X were sold in stores so I could look at it and hold it.

EDIT: I just checked Best Buy and they sell it. None of the store around me have it but at least returning it will be easier if need be.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store and got a nano SIM for my 5X (came from a note 4) without any issue. I think the issue might be that the IMEI isn't in their system since it isn't a VZW branded device. Ask them to activate the SIM card on your number in Moto X or something else in the store, and then just pop it out of that and put it in your 5X.

Greatsrj23

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I just got the phone last night. Everything seems to be working properly except the advanced calling. I have Enhanced 4G LTE Mode enabled on the phone but I can't find anything about it in my account. Is it HD Voice? I am chatting with someone and she told me to just enable it on my phone and when I said it was and it still isn't working she just said the feature isn't working properly and will trouble shoot it through tier 1.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I would have to enable in my VZW account and where I can find it?

EDIT 1:Nevermind. It is called HD voice under manage my products and apps and it's working now.

EDIT 2: So other than the VOLTE issue I just had everything seems to be working fine. I'm coming from the Moto X 2013 so it's a little bit bigger but isn't too bad. Better than the Moto X Pure. I like the screen on the X 2013 better. Maybe im just used to it but the colors just seem more vibrate. Probably because that phone has an amoled screen.

The battery is a big upgrade from what I had. I'll give it a few days before I start judging it though.

Anyone have any tips on what to do when you first get the phone? Settings or features or anything?

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I just got the phone last night. Everything seems to be working properly except the advanced calling. I have Enhanced 4G LTE Mode enabled on the phone but I can't find anything about it in my account. Is it HD Voice? I am chatting with someone and she told me to just enable it on my phone and when I said it was and it still isn't working she just said the feature isn't working properly and will trouble shoot it through tier 1.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I would have to enable in my VZW account and where I can find it?

EDIT 1:Nevermind. It is called HD voice under manage my products and apps and it's working now.

EDIT 2: So other than the VOLTE issue I just had everything seems to be working fine. I'm coming from the Moto X 2013 so it's a little bit bigger but isn't too bad. Better than the Moto X Pure. I like the screen on the X 2013 better. Maybe im just used to it but the colors just seem more vibrate. Probably because that phone has an amoled screen.

The battery is a big upgrade from what I had. I'll give it a few days before I start judging it though.

Anyone have any tips on what to do when you first get the phone? Settings or features or anything?
Hopefully this helps: The first 5 things to know about the Nexus 5X | Android Central

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I'm getting these gibberish messages too and I even got that exact one. I'm impressed that you found the pattern.

I don't know how to stop them. I didn't find a way to stop the midnight messages about going paperless -- which I already was -- and VW ignored the feedback message I sent after dawn each time in response.

Anybody who can tell us how to stop them will be a hero.

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Got my niece to help me run a test. The NM text is for a New voicemail; the MBU is either you listened or you deleted it. Not sure which. Still don't know how to make them stop, I blocked them. Now tell the truth, how could you possibly NOT know you got a call, even on vibrate? And if you didn't, and you have to use voicemail for work, aren't you going to check once in a while? So blocking them shouldn't be a problem as long as you go to Archive and clean it out once in a while to keep from blowing out your storage.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I just got a brand new 5x. Im waiting for my project fi sim which should be here tomorrow. In the meantime, I took my sim from another verizon phone, popped it into the 5x and still no connection. Its a perfectly good sim that works in my S7 edge. I read that in some cases you've got to call Verizon customer service and give them the imei # for them to program into their system and then should work. If i dial *228 from the 5x,will that do the same thing? And if i get it working, will there be an issue going to fi?

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I just popped the sim from my Maxx 2 into the 5X and it came right up. Luckily the sim is a nano sim so I didn't have to mess with it.

Last edited:

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Right. I just got a message on the 5x that if you're on Verizon and having an issue, call customer service so they csn enter the imei number into their database. I tried to call, but after 20 minutes waiting, I gave up. Ill just wait for the fi sim to get here tomorrow. Verizon, like all others, must be getting swamped with calls from galaxy note 7 owners.

mclaser

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting these gibberish messages too and I even got that exact one. I'm impressed that you found the pattern.

I don't know how to stop them. I didn't find a way to stop the midnight messages about going paperless -- which I already was -- and VW ignored the feedback message I sent after dawn each time in response.

Anybody who can tell us how to stop them will be a hero.
Not sure if you got this resolved, but you need to call vz and have them switch you from Visual Voicemail to Standard. See https://www.mattcutts.com/blog/verizon-visual-voicemail-texts/

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Right. I just got a message on the 5x that if you're on Verizon and having an issue, call customer service so they csn enter the imei number into their database. I tried to call, but after 20 minutes waiting, I gave up. Ill just wait for the fi sim to get here tomorrow. Verizon, like all others, must be getting swamped with calls from galaxy note 7 owners.
I'm not sure if it makes any difference but I'm on a prepaid plan.

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
There's so much great info on this thread and yours is one more example. Actually, I'm glad I just left this blocked as proof that blocking it didn't interfere with voice mail. Thanks!

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
The guy at the Verizon store activated the SIM before installing it in the 5X. I didn't have to dial *228 -- maybe he did that when I didn't know what I was looking at. We ran a test before I left the store so we would both know it was working at that point and there would be no finger-pointing.