Plugging in forces crash/reboot into "DemiGod Crash Handler"

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's my unlucky day. Nexus 5X just arrived. Took it out, set it up and then tossed it on the charger. But every time I charge it (yes, included cable + brick), the phone crashes after a minute or so into some crazy screen I haven't seen before — "DemiGod Crash Handler" and asking if I want to do a RAM dump. Think it's some sort of LG thing? Haven't seen it on any Android phone I've tinkered with. The phone's LED also goes solid blue.

I'm able to reboot out of it just fine, but when i charge again, it crashes out. Gonna chat with Google Support right now.

Anyone seen this sorta thing before?

20151021_160850.jpg

20151021_160856.jpg

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Kernel panic? I've seen this before, and I believe it was on older LG models (Optimus/G2/G3?), so the LG-specific assumption is a pretty safe bet. I don't remember any definitive solution, but I'll think on it.

Edit: I think you may be the first to have encountered this on the 5X, and assuming the "LK" is a reference to the stock kernel LG has shipped, I don't know if there's any recourse for you yet. A few searches turned up past cases where users were able to flash their way back to a functional device, and others who didn't seem to have as much luck (or didn't convey any resolution they found). Some state that the referenced download mode ("Jump to Dload Mode") wasn't accessible or helpful.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Kernel panic? I've seen this before, and I believe it was on older LG models (Optimus/G2/G3?), so the LG-specific assumption is a pretty safe bet. I don't remember any definitive solution, but I'll think on it.

Yeah I was just going to say I've seen this on G2/G3 forums before regarding kernel issues with custom ROMs. I'll respond back if I find any solutions.

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah searches returned some stuff with people trying to hack the kernel on their G2 and G3 ... Seems I'm the lucky one having this on the 5X!

Nexus Support Team is chatting now, already had me factory reset and it's still crashing. We'll see. They're already leaning toward sending me a new one.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah searches returned some stuff with people trying to hack the kernel on their G2 and G3 ... Seems I'm the lucky one having this on the 5X!

Nexus Support Team is chatting now, already had me factory reset and it's still crashing. We'll see. They're already leaning toward sending me a new one.

Does it charge if you're sitting on that screen?

Posted via the Android Central App

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
So the "Nexus Support Team" (2nd level above regular support) ran through some troubleshooting, and said they'd never seen this before.

They're offering be a brand new replacement phone. Will fill out here when I get details on the replacement process via follow-up email.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I also thought about flashing factory images, as some suggested, but that can't be done. Of course plugging into USB and a computer is necessary to enable developer options and accept the RSA key to trust the computer ... well, that doesn't work too well when your phone freezes and crashes as soon as it hits USB.

I actually got return instructions from Google Store support, but the email unfortunately didn't include the proper link to order the phone ... I should be getting a new email with that soon.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
This before or after the OTA update to the 5x?

After, yeah. Don't really think this was tied to the OTA, though, as the OTA just brings you up to the same version as is available from the factory image. And I'd assume that later shipments will already have that software loaded.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I finally got my email from the support team with instructions on my replacement. Gave me a custom link to click that gave me a pre-filled-out screen to "buy" a replacement phone. Color/size/type was already selected, but it did let me choose overnight shipping.

As is standard with warranty claims, a hold is placed on my credit card for the purchase, and it's removed as soon as I send in the defective unit.

New phone says it'll arrive Monday. Maybe I'll luck out and it'll be Saturday instead — I'm out of town Monday to Wednesday :(

Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 9.07.16 PM.png

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Jeez Andrew... way to break a new toy!

Just Kidding ^_^ -- I hope the replacement won't have this issue and it was just a fluke.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Plugging in forces crash/reboot into "DemiGod Crash Handler"

Don't think Google pays for Saturday delivery, they normally do standard overnight which is Mon - Fri deliveries only. Though they could make an exception in case of replacement phones but I would be surprised.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Plugging in forces crash/reboot into "DemiGod Crash Handler"

Yep, bad boot image/kernel. This will happen if you flash a bad one to your LG phone (I have a G3 and have gotten this many times) but normally you would just flash a good one or restore your good boot partition.

Yes, a factory reset is useless in this case as it does not restore the kernel image. This should never happen to a new device, but they are not without error. A replacement is definitely the only solution (i'm a bit late with that, lol).

Good luck with your new one.

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Plugging in forces crash/reboot into "DemiGod Crash Handler"

In that case cant you just flash the Factory Image and fix this?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar