Nexus 5x vs Samsung Galaxy S6 - why did you pick the 5x?

dragon192

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone

I'm in the market for a new phone right now and was strongly considering the 6p but I'm put off slightly by the size of the device. That led me to consider the 5x

However, on paper (and from the limited info we have given the 5x's nascent state), the S6 looks like it's a much better deal than the 5x

-Display: QHD and from what I've heard better colours
-Performance: faster chip, +1gb ram and DDR4 vs DDR3 - awaiting benchmarks and speedtest comparisons for real-world measures
-Build quality: better construction, shorter, less wide and thinner. Also the s6 comes in gold <3
-Camera: 16mp f/1.9 vs 12.3mp f/2.0 + OIS - also awaiting real life comparisons

The 5x however has:
-"stock android experience" which MAY make it perform better
-quicker updates
-bigger battery - difficult to decipher - I've heard mixed things about both the s6 and the 5x so far in real life tests

The key thing is that (at least in the UK) you can buy the 32gb versions of the s6 for just £30 more:

5x - £350 - carphone waerhouse
s6 - £380 - amazon

Have Google priced themselves out with the 5x? What do you guys think about which phone offers the better experience and better value?

tom258

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same position - i love stock android and tempted towards 5X, but S6 for that money is such a good deal! I'm struggling to decide which one

Posted via the Android Central App

dragon192

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the same position - i love stock android and tempted towards 5X, but S6 for that money is such a good deal! I'm struggling to decide which one

For me it hinges on performance and battery life. Not too fussed about stock android if I can be convinced that the battery life is sufficient in the s6 to last from morning to bedtime and that touchwiz doesn't ruin the chipset advantage

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
see my post here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...ners-what-phone-you-coming-5.html#post4766816

Also, I'm a huge believer in "specs do not matter" for the most part. It really comes down to: how does the hardware and software work together? Stock Android with lesser specs seems to always run smoother and better than Touchwiz-ed Android and top of the line specs. Heck, even the iPhone with it's "low tier specs" (according to android fanboys) runs circles around some skinned Android phones with high end specs. It comes down to user experience and how smooth/fluid is the phone in day to day life.

Battery and camera do matter the most to me. GS6 camera is unbeatable in my opinion but the battery life is atrocious. The 5x so far has a promising camera (I know it won't beat the GS6 but will it come close for me?) and the battery life is yet to be seen.

Now, I just got my 5x yesterday, so I haven't made the decision yet to keep my GS6 or keep the 5x. I'm going to give this phone a full ~12-days before I decide and then either sell the GS6 or send back the 5x. Oh, and I have a 6p arriving next week to make my decision harder ;)

pursuit2550

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
A couple of guys at work have the S6, they all hate it. I had the S5, hated it. Samsung is all about stuffing their phones with hardware but no software to back it up. And lets not even get into the bloatware. I have lost all faith in Samsung.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I own both and like the 5x more. Nexus imprint blows the s6 scanner out of the water. It also feels faster to me anyway.

tom258

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I own both and like the 5x more. Nexus imprint blows the s6 scanner out of the water. It also feels faster to me anyway.

Why do you like the 5X more? I feel like I prefer the 5X, yet the S6 is just so cheap

gentarg

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I struggled with this choice for a while and ended up with the 5X. After a few days with it, here are my thoughts.

I'm not sure why so many people bashed the build. I have the black 5X and it doesn't feel cheap or too light. It feels like a nice, quality phone. Plus, how much does metal matter once you put a case on the phone? My only complaint is the vibration motor. It's chirpy and a little annoying. There are videos on YouTube showing this. The phone is a little tall; it's awkward to reach the top of the screen with one handed use, but I imagine after a couple weeks, I'll be used to automatically adjusting my grip to reach and it won't be an issue.

The phone does everything quick and pure Android is great. Imprint is amazing and lives up to the hype.

While I do wish it had the QHD screen, an IR blaster and wireless charging, these items are important in theory and ultimately don't really impact my day to day use, but a smooth, uncluttered device with fast updates is a big impact.

Bottom line I think, is stock Android + imprint more desirable than wireless charging and QHD? For me, it was.

Hope that helps.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Press the app drawer button on both devices on a fresh install and you will see why I and many have chosen the 5x over the s6.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Why do you like the 5X more? I feel like I prefer the 5X, yet the S6 is just so cheap

Despite it not being as "spec packed" it feels faster. Even with a slower processor and less ram it feels faster.

Less bloat and stuff to get in the way of the os. Could be a placebo but I haven't reached for my s5 since the nexus 5x got here on Thursday.

tom258

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Despite it not being as "spec packed" it feels faster. Even with a slower processor and less ram it feels faster.

Less bloat and stuff to get in the way of the os. Could be a placebo but I haven't reached for my s5 since the nexus 5x got here on Thursday.

Hi, about to buy one of these and still can't decide! Any more thoughts on the two phones since you've had the nexus for a few more days?

gentarg

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for several days now and I love it. The vibration motor still drives me a bit nuts, but it's really not bad. Battery life is great and I'm happy with my purchase. If someone took away my nexus and offered me a choice of having it back, or a free S6, I'd want my 5X back...

Another thing to keep in mind, the 5X is relatively easy to take apart according to iFixIt, so maybe replacing the battery in the future would be doable?

tom258

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
See, the fact that the Samsung doesn't have stock android is really putting me off,, and the fact that the 5x's fingerprint sensor is so much better, otherwise I'd probably go for it. I don't know, I really just can't make up my mind on this!

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Love Nexus, still use the 5 (minus SIM). But I also have an S6 Edge with Mophie case on and the Nova Prime launcher instead of Touch Wiz. It's super fast, battery life is great (I've disabled many Samsung apps) and it's the perfect size.

Posted via Android Central App

bujin

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I sold my S6 in favor of the 5x. I decided to give the S6 a shot, mainly because I had an upgrade and the 5X wasn't out yet - I wanted to see how Samsung Pay worked.

I set it up to be as stock as possible, but the day-to-day experience wasn't nearly as smooth as my Nexus 5, so I swapped. Totally glad I did!

JoeFlorida

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
After leaning towards the Galaxy S6, I bought the Nexus 5X. The Black Friday deal at B&H was the deciding factor.

Here is a copy of my post to a similar topic in this forum:
"Currently, I have a Moto X 2013 with 32GB. Since I prefer the small form factor, I was deciding between the Galaxy S6 64GB over the Nexus 5X 32GB based on the following advantages for both:
Nexus 5X - Less expensive by $137 (w/ sales tax), stock Android (not a fan of Touch Wiz).
Galaxy S6 - Build quality, AMOLED display, benchmark performance, 64GB capacity.

Yesterday, I bought the Nexus 5X on sale at B&H for $324 ($349 less $25 gift card), which was almost 1/2 of the Galaxy S6 price of $599 (on sale at T-Mobile). That is a savings of $275."

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I also have a 32GB Moto X 2013 which has been my all time best phone. I saw the Friday sale and got the 32GB Nexus 5X. I was thinking about hte 6P but it just looks so big compared to the comfort of the Moto X. Hope I don't regret it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos