BUG: Nexus 5X Camera Upside Down in Apps?

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello, I'm seeing this on my new Nexus 5X in certain apps, namely; MyFitnessPal and SkyView Free. I've tried the figure-8 gyroscope recalibration, a gentle knock whilst using the Accelerometer Calibration app, and a good old power cycle, but to no avail.

I've the latest of all updates for hardware and apps and as noted by others it only seems to affect certain apps.

EDIT/UPDATE: I've spoken to Artie from MyFitnessPal and have passed on my device details and photos of the issue, hopefully it is a software issue as noted above. Interestingly in the photo below you can clearly see the MyFitnessPal app text is upright, but the camera is upside down compared to the barcode and device.

View attachment 204039

Same here. I've been sending info to support at myfitnesspal. Let's hope an update comes out soon.

Posted via my 5x

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
A highly frustrating bug that's either specific to the 5X, or in Mashmallow in general:

In any app other than the official camera app, photos appear upside down, and (I'm pretty sure) with a skewed/distorted perspective.

I'm attaching a shot from Camera 360, but it happens in multiple other apps (including one my bank uses to take images of checks). HIGHLY frustrating, especially when Google really stripped everything except a shutter button out of the camera app.

View attachment 202604

Anyone else having this issue?

Hmmmm, my camera shots in Chase app (banking), Expensify (expense reports), and Textra (SMS/MMS) all came out fine.

I think it must be an app issue....we're early adopters of the latest OS--it is to be expected that many apps have yet to be optimized for this version.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Same here. My Fifth Third app is the same way. Depositing a check is challenging to say the least.

Because this issue isn't going to throw an error message with diagnostics, please be sure to let app developers know that their app isn't working on your device/OS version.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Official answer from Google!

According to Talvala, the image sensor inside the Nexus 5X was installed in a different orientation (landscape) to make the wires fit. As a consequence, Google had to tweak the software to ensure that your snaps wouldn't display upside down. Unfortunately, plenty of third-party apps didn't bother to update to the firm's latest imaging APIs, and as such all of the pictures that you take with them are all screwy.

Thankfully, if you find that your pictures are all topsy-turvy, you don't need to drag your phone down to the shop for a fix. Google is already asking creators of any apps that are yet to be updated to move over as quickly as possible. In addition, if you find the problem is persisting, you're asked to drop the developers a polite, loving, gentle email giving them a heads-up.​

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Isn't the ZXing Barcode Scanner (which has this issue) a Google Product though? (its an open source project but looked after by Google)

So its all well and good telling others to fix problems, but they haven't sorted it themselves yet!

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the ZXing Barcode Scanner (which has this issue) a Google Product though? (its an open source project but looked after by Google)

So its all well and good telling others to fix problems, but they haven't sorted it themselves yet!

I can't find a link between Google and ZXing Barcode Scanner.

Open Source doesn't always mean Google, does it?

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
ZXing used to be hosted on code.google.com, but that doesn't make it a Google project. That site is an open project hosting site that lots of third parties have used. They're shutting it down next year, tho.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmmmm, my camera shots in Chase app (banking), Expensify (expense reports), and Textra (SMS/MMS) all came out fine.

I think it must be an app issue....we're early adopters of the latest OS--it is to be expected that many apps have yet to be optimized for this version.

Weird. NOW my Chase app is showing checks upside down. LOL. I don't think I updated it...

Equinsu ocha

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if you guys have noticed, but the official camera app also does this when you record videos in landscape mode, if the volume buttons are up top. However, this will only be apparent if you transfer the videos to a PC. How the hell does a bug like this make it into production code???
I noticed it. Mine is doing this too. Hope the fix gets pushed out soon.

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if Google Goggles is affected by this? It is for me.

How embarrassing if Google can't even get their own apps sorted. Talk about leading by example.

If I can get a few more people to confirm it's broken in Google Goggles, it's time to use the press to embarrass them into fixing things. Clickbaiters like Android Police would be all over this story like a bad rash.

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone confirm if Google Goggles is affected by this? It is for me.

How embarrassing if Google can't even get their own apps sorted. Talk about leading by example.

If I can get a few more people to confirm it's broken in Google Goggles, it's time to use the press to embarrass them into fixing things. Clickbaiters like Android Police would be all over this story like a bad rash.

Hasn't Goggles been abandoned by Google? Hasn't had an update for a long time as far as I know. It likely still uses the old camera API, which required the program to handle the different sensor orientations, as opposed to the camera2 API, which takes care of that.

strawbee

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Weird. NOW my Chase app is showing checks upside down. LOL. I don't think I updated it...

That's super weird because my Chase mobile app is the ONLY app having the problem!

Either I was mistaken or something changed...Chase is problematic for me too now.

I've called Chase. I'm the first one who has ever called in to notify the developers. If you guys could back me up, it will likely get escalated.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've called Chase. I'm the first one who has ever called in to notify the developers. If you guys could back me up, it will likely get escalated.

+1

I used Secure Message to request that they implement Google's more recent Camera API as I prefer to have a paper trail when dealing customer service departments.

I also changed my Google Play Store review to 1star with an explanation of why.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1