Decision Time - Swap SIM or Wait?

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So, my Ice Blue Nexus 5X arrived yesterday. I'm happily using it as a Wi-Fi device currently as I get things installed/tailored to my needs.

Now comes the decision: I'm moving from a 2013 Moto X; so I have a compatible SIM on my current carrier. And here's the rub, my contract with said carrier expires in about two weeks and I'll be changing carriers. Of course, part of me is eager to start using the 5X as my daily driver - but another part of me just wants to wait until I get setup with the new carrier to move full time to the 5X.

I don't think there's really a wrong choice, but was wondering if any of you folks with experience swapping SIMs/moving carriers have any insights to share.

Thanks much!

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't know why it matters? won't change your experience with the phone. just use your phone now with your moto x sim and pop in the new sim once you change carrier.

Posted via the Android Central App

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why it matters? won't change your experience with the phone. just use your phone now with your moto x sim and pop in the new sim once you change carrier.

I wasn't sure if one carrier would possibly install an cruft that would linger when changing carriers. I'd prefer not to get some junk installed that can only be cleared via factory reset.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't sure if one carrier would possibly install an cruft that would linger when changing carriers. I'd prefer not to get some junk installed that can only be cleared via factory reset.

What carrier are you on? It shouldn't be an issue to take your sim from your Moto X and use in your 5x. Then when the time comes for a new carrier, put the new sim in the 5x. These phones aren't installing the junk apps that carriers put on phones sold in store.

Posted via the Android Central App and my Galaxy S6

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
What carrier are you on? It shouldn't be an issue to take your sim from your Moto X and use in your 5x. Then when the time comes for a new carrier, put the new sim in the 5x. These phones aren't installing the junk apps that carriers put on phones sold in store.

I was hoping to avoid any carrier crusades, so I purposefully left that detail out; I'll just say it's one of the less "customer-concerned" carriers.

I reckon I'll look to move my SIM so I can get good use early to determine any issues that may need attention from Google.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping to avoid any carrier crusades, so I purposefully left that detail out; I'll just say it's one of the less "customer-concerned" carriers.

I reckon I'll look to move my SIM so I can get good use early to determine any issues that may need attention from Google.

I couldn't care less about carrier crusades. I ask because I've been with a few, so I was trying to help based on MY experience or what I've read online. I'd say give it a try. I know with VZW and AT&T (2 carriers I have experience with) it's no issue. I know with T-Mobile it shouldn't be an issue. And keep in mind, this is a Nexus device controlled by Google, not by any carrier. So putting your sim into this phone won't start making that carrier be in control of software, etc. It's still maintained by Google