12-02-2015 01:42 PM
28 12
tools
    Just a quick question, love my Nexus 5x but when I was checking out the back I noticed the back of it does push in ever so slightly when you press your finger against the soft back material, I was wondering if this is the same for others if you could test it for me? I just want to make sure I don't have a defect.

It especially happens around the Nexus logo and a little beneath it.
    11-02-2015 05:06 PM
    I will try to remember to check later. 5X isn't on me right now.
    11-02-2015 05:29 PM
    My Nexus is mushy near the bottom left and makes a creaking noise.. It's disappointing but I can live with it...

Posted via Nexus 5X / Nexus 7
    Jonneh likes this.
    11-02-2015 07:27 PM
    Mine is creaking in the bottom part but it is not a noisy creaking. And come on is not a big deal unless you have an OCD or something lol.
    11-02-2015 10:48 PM
    Mine doesn't creak, but just ever so slightly presses in if you press your finger against the back, especially around the Nexus logo, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue with the housing or something.
    11-02-2015 11:15 PM
    Mine doesn't creak, but just ever so slightly presses in if you press your finger against the back, especially around the Nexus logo, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an issue with the housing or something.
    I don't know how hard you guys are pushing on the back, but I don't feel any mushy-ness nor does mine creak. I didn't press like a crazy person because I don't think that would happen regular usage, so I pressed with enough force to simulate what kinds of pressures I think might occur in day to day use (leaning against something while it is in your pocket, bumping against something while it is in your pocket, slight pressure from sitting, etc)
    11-03-2015 08:23 AM
    Mine creaks and pushes in slightly just right of the finger print sensor (as you look at the back). This seems to have developed as it didn't do this initially. I creaks as I use the device so I'm very disappointed.
    It may have to go back for replacement.
    Jonneh likes this.
    11-03-2015 08:25 AM
    Seems to be common, between the nexus and the lg logo i can feel a bit of push. The creaking is there every time i text, but its not terrible.
    11-03-2015 09:46 AM
    It seems to be getting worse. I wonder if this is a heat issue, expanding the back cover?

This creaking definitely wasn't present when I first got the phone. This could be a real deal breaker for me, although I have no clue which phone I'd get if I decided against the N5x.
    11-03-2015 04:56 PM
    Wow this sucks!!! I'm really hoping it's a bad batch and you all get replacement's with no issues!!! I really want to get the 5x

Posted via Nexus 4
    11-04-2015 01:24 AM
    I'm not sure I exactly understand what's going on here. Yes, it gives a little but it's plastic so it will do that.

Solution: Don't push on it hard.
    11-04-2015 11:05 AM
    I'm not sure I exactly understand what's going on here. Yes, it gives a little but it's plastic so it will do that.

Could just be an odd batch of phones with this issue.

I do agree--if you press hard enough on plastic, it WILL give.

If testing this issue, press only as hard as you think would represent "normal pressure" that your phone might experience in real world usage. Otherwise you might risk stress to the antennae ("Wi-Fi, MIMO, and GPS antennae still reside on the rear case, along with the NFC antenna which formerly lived on its own control board, which apparently reside along the back cover.") according to iFixit.
    11-04-2015 11:36 AM
    I bet it starts happening to all of them. The device I had didn't make a noise when I first got it.

Now, when you push in certain areas (gently I might add) you can hear a tacky adhesive separation type sound. I'm familiar with this from the Moto X 2014 back separating. I don't know if this is an issue, I'd imaging with a case on you'd never hear it.
    11-04-2015 11:52 AM

This shouldn't be acceptable to you. Even with plastic a phone should not creak if held lightly and simply using it.
    11-04-2015 03:39 PM
    I have been really busy today and barely used the phone.

Strangely the back is nowhere near as creaky as it has been. I am able to press it in around the usual couple of spots but with general use there is less creaking going on. Makes me more convinced it's an expansion with heat issue.
    11-04-2015 03:47 PM
    This shouldn't be acceptable to you. Even with plastic a phone should not creak if held lightly and simply using it.
    Man that's presumptuous...there is a staggering level of ocd around here but the upshot is you have zero right to tell someone else they should up their levels of ocd just because you have...
    11-04-2015 04:02 PM
    Man that's presumptuous...there is a staggering level of ocd around here but the upshot is you have zero right to tell someone else they should up their levels of ocd just because you have...
    Please don't resort to being mildly offensive. Perhaps I have high standards but that does not give you the right to insinuate that I have OCD.

Perhaps your device is not as bad as mine or some others in this thread, in which case your point is irrelevant.
    11-04-2015 04:23 PM
    My phone rattles. My nephew was playing with it (he's 2), shaking it up and down and I could hear a rattling noise. I shook it as well and sure enough some sort of rattling sound. Could it be the vibrating motors or something?
    11-04-2015 04:44 PM
    My phone rattles. My nephew was playing with it (he's 2), shaking it up and down and I could hear a rattling noise. I shook it as well and sure enough some sort of rattling sound. Could it be the vibrating motors or something?
    It should be the camera mechanism (I'm no expert) many phones have this rattle.
    11-04-2015 05:00 PM
    The SIM tray will rattle a bit.
    11-05-2015 02:36 AM
    Mine's totally solid. Maybe I got lucky ordering it so late. I also got the very last black one they had in stock which I was a little worried about.
    11-05-2015 11:23 AM
    Mine's totally solid. Maybe I got lucky ordering it so late. I also got the very last black one they had in stock which I was a little worried about.
    I ordered mid-October (is that late?) and the back on mine seems solid as well. Perhaps just a bad early batch?
    11-05-2015 11:28 AM
    I ordered mid-October (is that late?) and the back on mine seems solid as well. Perhaps just a bad early batch?
    Seem likely. I ordered mine around 10/30
    11-05-2015 12:53 PM
    Its by design, unlike the Nexus 5, the 5X doesn't have adhesive strips to hold the back plate to the frame, just clips. A lot of people complained about those strips with the old N5 as it makes repairs difficult, so I'm guessing that's why LG removed them. This makes repairing the phone and removing the back plate much easier. It's also the reason why the back of the phone creaks when pressed.
    I noticed this with my Nexus 5X and did some digging, a user explains it well in the nexus product forums,(i would post the link, but being a new user i can't ). This is also shown in the ifixit treardown of the Nexus 5X.
    11-28-2015 01:51 AM
    Its by design, unlike the Nexus 5, the 5X doesn't have adhesive strips to hold the back plate to the frame, just clips. A lot of people complained about those strips with the old N5 as it makes repairs difficult, so I'm guessing that's why LG removed them. This makes repairing the phone and removing the back plate much easier. It's also the reason why the back of the phone creaks when pressed.
    I noticed this with my Nexus 5X and did some digging, a user explains it well in the nexus product forums,(i would post the link, but being a new user i can't ). This is also shown in the ifixit treardown of the Nexus 5X.
    If that's the case, that's a terrible reason.

So in the off chance someone would have to repair or open their phone, they removed adhesive that prevents it from creaking during every day use? Makes no sense.

I returned mine, but I'm surprised no one has popped the back of yet and put some foam inside to fix it.
    11-28-2015 08:49 PM
28 12