Nexus 5X - WiFi Calling keeps disconnecting on T-Mobile

ikiue

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
anyone else have issues with wifi calling?
if i reboot, i see "T-Mobile WiFi Calling" on drop-down screen, but soon it disappears.
my wifi remains connected.
doubt it's carrier issue since my iPhone always stays connected to WiFi Calling.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
anyone else have issues with wifi calling?
if i reboot, i see "T-Mobile WiFi Calling" on drop-down screen, but soon it disappears.
my wifi remains connected.
doubt it's carrier issue since my iPhone always stays connected to WiFi Calling.

I enabled WiFi calling in the Call settings, and rebooted.

I do not see "T-mobile Wifi Calling" in the notification bar....ever. Do you have a screenshot?

ikiue

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Oh, it's in the Quick Settings screen.

So how long does it take to disappear?

Have you tested in Safe Mode to see if another app is causing it to turn off?

not sure... it's random...
rebooted this morning and been working since...
how do u test in safe mode??

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
not sure... it's random...
rebooted this morning and been working since...
how do u test in safe mode??

Safe Mode isn't great if you have no idea how often this happens since your 3rd party apps won't load. But not loading 3rd party apps lets you know if the problem will persist in a "stock state" or if the problem goes away, which often means that some other app is causing your issue.

Go like you are going to power down, except when you see POWER OFF (on the screen), long press that until you see a pop up asking if you want to reboot in Safe Mode.

Reboot normally to get back out of Safe Mode.

icebearii

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I have been trying to use wifi calling on the 5X since I received it early last week and overall has been completely unusable. My other phone which my wife uses, a Galaxy S5 works just fine with wifi calling. Something is terribly wrong with this. I usually can here the other party on the line but they never hear me or is just garbled beyond recognition. Rebooting may work for one call and then its back to being unusable.

I have tried

802.11 b,g,n and ac
2.4 and 5Ghz and various channels within , all with the same result.

The network has nothing much else on it and I have FIOS 75/75. Again, this is only affecting my Nexus 5x, the other phone in the house works just fine with wifi calling.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to use wifi calling on the 5X since I received it early last week and overall has been completely unusable. My other phone which my wife uses, a Galaxy S5 works just fine with wifi calling. Something is terribly wrong with this. I usually can here the other party on the line but they never hear me or is just garbled beyond recognition. Rebooting may work for one call and then its back to being unusable.

I have tried

802.11 b,g,n and ac
2.4 and 5Ghz and various channels within , all with the same result.

The network has nothing much else on it and I have FIOS 75/75. Again, this is only affecting my Nexus 5x, the other phone in the house works just fine with wifi calling.

Before you finalize judgment and blame it on the phone, let's see what kind of results you get from
  • running in safe mode
  • testing on a different router

pauljonesb

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this issue as well. Hasn't been a huge issue for me, but I notice from time to time that it will not show that it is connected to Wifi calling. It seems to connect and disconnect regularly. As was mentioned, a reboot typically fixes this, but that's a pain. I've also noticed that even if I don't reboot, it seems to re-register as wifi calling after some time has passed. I find it weird that it will hop off wifi calling sometimes even when being connected to the same network for an extended period. Seems like they haven't fully worked out the functionality here, but I feel it will be fixed in the future.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
When only some people are affected by an issue, ruling out 3rd party app conflicts with safe mode helps a lot to try to determine if the problem is within the stock OS, or if we should be scrutinizing hardware issues.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I was having trouble with WiFi calling. It works fine after rebooting. I haven't been checking it constantly, but there doesn't seem to be a problem . . . so far . . .

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
OK, if I leave WiFi coverage and return, WiFi calling does not reconnect.

To test, this morning before work I turned on WiFi calling, then turned off my WiFi during breakfast. When I turned the WiFi back on, the Tmobile WiFi calling icon in Quick Settings didn't come back on.

I was going to post this result but got distracted (darmn Work!), but I checked just now and it is showing again in Quick Settings at work.

I kind of wish we knew what to expect on this....is this working as designed? Is it a flaky implementation?

mtndew2756

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm traveling abroad right now and I use wifi-calling to call back to the US (free on Tmobile) and I had to switch my tmo sim to my old HTC in order to get wifi calling to work consistently. I ran into the same problems the OP did, it would show as wifi calling and then after a short while would disappear until a restart. No idea why this is the case but it's very frustrating, especially since we are moving overseas soon and I'd like to be able to keep the wifi calling option for US bound phone calls.

If anyone finds a solution I would really appreciate it. I thought about calling tmo but figure they would just tell me it's not officially a supported phone since it's not running their software, even though they have said it should work. I'm not home for another 2 weeks, hopefully someone figures out the issue before then.

TrvlngDrew

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
From what I understand there are two technologies for using WiFi calling. Could it be possible that Google installed the opposite of the one that T-Mobile uses? So it might work intermittently.. When I have done searching on this subject it appears that T-Mobile tightly controls the access to WiFi calling and less so on the VoLTE Band 12 access..
IMHO, T-Mobile is getting more like Verizon/Verizon in terms of what handsets actually work best on their network.. I tried to get a couple of handsets to work that supposedly have WiFi calling and had no success, so just sucked it up and bought my daughter an iPhone 6S which works perfectly from factory unlocked Apple and myself a Note 5 from T-Mobile which also works fine.
Really wanted the NExus 5X to wok but it was, as noted here, intermittent..

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm traveling abroad right now and I use wifi-calling to call back to the US (free on Tmobile) and I had to switch my tmo sim to my old HTC in order to get wifi calling to work consistently. I ran into the same problems the OP did, it would show as wifi calling and then after a short while would disappear until a restart. No idea why this is the case but it's very frustrating, especially since we are moving overseas soon and I'd like to be able to keep the wifi calling option for US bound phone calls.

If anyone finds a solution I would really appreciate it. I thought about calling tmo but figure they would just tell me it's not officially a supported phone since it's not running their software, even though they have said it should work. I'm not home for another 2 weeks, hopefully someone figures out the issue before then.

If you are moving overseas, WiFi calling using Hangouts works great (unless you are in China, where many Google services are blocked). You don't need anything special other than the app and a WiFi connection.