OTA Updates - Or Lack of!

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I've had my Nexus 5X 3 weeks now, and its still on: MDA89E (The first build)..

I would have expected to see OTA to either MDB08I or MDB08L by now..

And since MDB08M is out.. for the November patches maybe even that (though it might be a bit early).

My question is.. is anyone else still on MDA89E?

Is the MDA vs MDB significant in some way?

Do I have some kind of carrier version or something? I did buy it SIM free from carphone warehouse in the UK, which is how I got it so quickly.. But the outside of the box is marked with 3GB (which may mean Three UK the network perhaps?)

I'm not even sure if I can safely flash MDBxxxx factory images.. has anyone tried that on an MDAxxxx delivered device?

Thanks,
Sam

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I've had my Nexus 5X 3 weeks now, and its still on: MDA89E (The first build)..

I would have expected to see OTA to either MDB08I or MDB08L by now..

And since MDB08M is out.. for the November patches maybe even that (though it might be a bit early).

My question is.. is anyone else still on MDA89E?

Is the MDA vs MDB significant in some way?

Do I have some kind of carrier version or something? I did buy it SIM free from carphone warehouse in the UK, which is how I got it so quickly.. But the outside of the box is marked with 3GB (which may mean Three UK the network perhaps?)

I'm not even sure if I can safely flash MDBxxxx factory images.. has anyone tried that on an MDAxxxx delivered device?

Thanks,
Sam

I am pretty sure that there is NO carrier version, and I'm also pretty sure that ALL the 5X came with only 2GB of RAM....

This is my first Nexus so I am not 100% sure how updates work but I think they are OTA so am just waiting for a notification. I guess you could also try to PULL the update by checking for System Updates manually.

From what I understand, your device IMEI or MEID has to be whitelisted by Google before you get the OTA...and they are likely doing it in batches.

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Haha.. I did try that of course.

Yes I know it doesn't have 3GB of ram.. but the box says this: Nexus Box.jpg

Does everyone's box have 3GB in that position (lower right above barcode)?

I assumed Carphone were selling Three UK (GB - Great Britain) phones as SIM Free.. (Yes I know its a nexus - but you do still get carrier subsidized phones in the UK - even of the nexii variety)

I also noticed on an unboxing that US ones are sealed with a tab you have to cut.. these UK ones don't have that (and never have had - theres no marks where it has been removed or anything, it just never had one!)

I can fastboot flash it.. just wondering why ive not got it and if I will get the November update or not! If im on a weird path that doesnt get the monthly updates, ill flash the MDBxxxx and hopefully get back on the path to update nirvana.

Last edited:

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Haha.. I did try that of course.

Yes I know it doesn't have 3GB of ram.. but the box says this: View attachment 204676

Does everyone's box have 3GB in that position (lower right above barcode)?

I assumed Carphone were selling Three UK (GB - Great Britain) phones as SIM Free.. (Yes I know its a nexus - but you do still get carrier subsidized phones in the UK - even of the nexii variety)

I also noticed on an unboxing that US ones are sealed with a tab you have to cut.. these UK ones don't have that (and never have had - theres no marks where it has been removed or anything, it just never had one!)

I can fastboot flash it.. just wondering why ive not got it and if I will get the November update or not! If im on a weird path that doesnt get the monthly updates, ill flash the MDBxxxx and hopefully get back on the path to update nirvana.

I'm thinking that stands for 3(Three) G(Great) B(Britain) ie: Three UK.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
My CPW box also has 3GB. And I'm still on 89E. Anyway, it's not carrier branded so I don't know...

Edit: There's a thread on XDA where others have the same including buyers from Clove and Expansis. One possible explanation is that the 2 is missing from 32GB...

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm fairly convinced its not that (as it says 32GB at the top so it doesnt need to be there twice), clove and expansys both seem likely to do the same thing with selling contract subsidised phones as sim free as they import other regions phones and sell those. (I bought a Asus phone form expansys as sim free once and it was in vodaphone branded box)..

Update: Removed my guessing here and see my better guessing 2 posts down ;)

Last edited:

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Its actually weird how different the label is.. This is a UK retail phone (same 32GB carbon) - The label is totally different:Nicks Box.jpg
His was also sealed up with the white sticker i see on US unboxing videos.. Mine was not sealed (and clearly never had been).

The lack of seal suggests it was left open for a network to insert its bumpf or flyers etc.. (or a SIM)..

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Actually it may have come to me..

Its almost certainly an ID Mobile one.

CPW own ID.. and ID use Three as the network. So itd make sense to have a 3 capable phone for CPW to sell ID contracts. (my guess is three supply the phone for ID as its an MVNO), Its unsealed so they can shove an ID sim in in the shop.

ID do carry the Nexus 5X...

Still doesn't explain why we've had no OTA's though!

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for posting that - It's weird just how different the labels are!

I'm starting to think i've become over-obsessed with something that doesn't really matter :)

kitenski

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I got an OTA last night in the UK, my box from CPW has 3GB below the ICE colour the same as the earlier pics...

Build number is now MDB08L

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
My 5x has never received any update yet either. My Nexus 9 is still on the October security release. I'm not going to panic until December....

sambartle_uk

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Last night the phone in question updated from MDA89E, to MDB08L which is listed as the November security update. The patch was 43MB.

The weird thing is.. MDB08L isnt the most recent build, there is an MDB08M build on the Factory Images page..

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
My Nexus 9 Tab got the November Security update, however my 5x has received ZERO updates since I received it last month. I'm currently on build MDA89E. So I don't think I got the 1st day update almost everyone else got, and I've never received the November Security update.

Should I be concerned or wait it out?

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I just made a carrier change, and while at the store I swapped in my new SIM (T Mobile) and immediately received notification of a system update. It was the November security update; my 5X is now at MDB08L.

Bierich

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
So, I just made a carrier change, and while at the store I swapped in my new SIM (T Mobile) and immediately received notification of a system update. It was the November security update; my 5X is now at MDB08L.

You're still one behind. Current one is MDB08M.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae