Why will the Nexus 5x not let me NOT use hangouts?

A

AC Question

I switched from an iPhone and hangouts is driving me insane, is there anyway to get this crappy app from receiving all the texts coming to my phone? I've disabled it, I've tried switching other apps as default instead of it, but nothing is working, how do I get this app off of this phone totally? It sucks, I may end up back on a iPhone sooner than later.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open Hangouts, swipe in from the left, tap Settings>SMS>SMS Enabled, and follow the steps to make a different messaging app your SMS default. Make sure you have some other SMS app installed, like Google Messenger.

Bob Garon

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I personally actually really like Hangouts and use Google Voice so it comes in handy so I can text from any device and my computer as well.

Posted via my Nexus 5X

jonebk12

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
There are some apps you can't just entirely uninstall. I don't understand the problem if you've disabled it. I'm sure iPhones come with a bunch of apps you don't use and can't install (or disable) also.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Mehhh, some people don't like Hangouts and that's fine. You can switch default app as outlined above. But, I do like Hangouts and use it as my go to SMS and calling app.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I use Textra SMS Pro and disabled Hangouts and Messenger on my android phones. Works well.

Posted via the Android Central App