iPhone to Nexus 5X

SASavva86

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Anyone switched from an iPhone to the new Nexus 5X? If yes what were your reasons for the switch?

Posted via the Android Central App

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I sorta fit this category. Over the summer I tried the iPhone 6 for a week. I coveted the iPhone for its fingerprint reader and prompt OS updates. I just could not love iOS, however, mostly because it was not as well integrated with Google services. Apple's services (maps, iTunes, mail, storage, and Siri) are inferior, IMO, so I went back to my 2013 Moto X to await the new Nexus devices. In retrospect, I'm happy with my decision. The 5x is a really nice phone. I wouldn't buy anything but a Nexus at this point.

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Why are Apple services inferior to Google's?

To be frank, most of my problems with the iPhone have to do with the lack of tight integration with Google services. Apple's cloud services are getting better, but too late for me. I had been using Apple's cloud services since the bad old days of iDisk. Apple has had several false starts in the cloud services area. Google continues to outshine Apple with Maps (better directions and traffic data, particularly so since Google's acquisition of Waze), Photos (free storage and far better, automatic search), and Google Now (the more you use it and the more it learns about you, the better it gets). And although Apple's cloud storage is now competitively priced ($10 for one terabyte), I still prefer Google Docs over iWork, and I make heavy use of shortcuts to scan directly from my phone into particular Google Drive folders. You can't do that on an iPhone.

rdavenp3

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I switched because IOS 9 was utter junk. Apple software quality is going downhill fast and spending over $800 on a phone to have a lousy experience was the last straw. I wasn't tied to icloud, so switching was easy.

myfavthing

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Had multiple hardware issues on the iPhone 6s and became really weary of having to spend the time going to the service centre to get it repaired/replacement when i should be using the phone. Also, i realised that i was using most of google services, drive, mail, map , google now etc on my iPhone.

I bought the nexus 5x thinking that i will give it a try a few days ( because i miss my nexus 5) and thought that i will return it. One month later, i am still using the nexus 5x as my daily driver and has sold the iPhone 6s. I guess the price, google services and being able to actually use the phone made me switch :) It was nice having the extra cash in my pocket and a phone that just works

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Wow these are some horror stories. I went from a note to a 6s and haven't had a problem. I was and still an integrated heavily into google rather than Apple services because it's universal. Google maps and all other services work identical for me. I get plenty traffic updates with waze and google maps.

I'm not here to preach though. I went from android to iOS after being on android for 2 1/2 years and tbh they're almost the same in terms of using it as a phone. Cameras are great on both, battery life is the same under usage but j find the iPhone does better on standby than android. All my chromecast apps like Netflix and HBO go work fine. Only things that I miss is androids ability to screen mirror to the chromecast and Google opinion rewards for free money. Other than that I have no qualms.

Having a nexus 7 and going to this 6s is a change whenever I boot the nexus up. I also have a Lenovo tab 2 a10 android tablet also. But it's not so big of a change to get aggravated over.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Also to back up my battery on idle claims. I recently had surgery Monday and was in the hospital doing basic things with my phone for a few days with no charger. This is my battery life when I got home a few days later.
c769add7e42a8852a3c7dbfcc36a6442.jpg

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
By all accounts, the iPhone does have superior standby time. But if I'm interpreting the last line in your screenshot correctly, your numbers don't really support what you're saying as well as you might have thought they did. It seems you partially charged the iPhone midway through that time (how much we do not know). Please don't interpret this post as an attempt to ignite and iPhone- Android religious war. You use what you want to use because it works for you. :)

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
It is true...the iPhone standby time is nothing short of astounding. Apple just doesn't let Apps run rogue when the phone is off. I just ordered a 5X and am really hoping that Doze helps Android catch up to Apple because I really like the Android OS and ecosystem.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
By all accounts, the iPhone does have superior standby time. But if I'm interpreting the last line in your screenshot correctly, your numbers don't really support what you're saying as well as you might have thought they did. It seems you partially charged the iPhone midway through that time (how much we do not know). Please don't interpret this post as an attempt to ignite and iPhone- Android religious war. You use what you want to use because it works for you. :)

Yes. If you look at the battery icon I had just plugged the charger in a second earlier and remembered to take a screenshot of the battery performance. I wasn't trying to make this into a flame war. Having currently android devices and apple devices I have respect for both. I just had to jump in because the earlier posters were making it seem like all they had were problems. Sorry if it sounded like that. I currently have a v10 and a 6s along with a Lenovo android tablet so I luckily get to see both worlds on a daily basis.

JackInTheDust

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I hear you. I bought a 6 plus for my wife, and that thing gets outstanding standby time. Doze will help a little, but it won't help those of us who keep our phones in our pockets all day.

Slowhite03

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone and this being my first Android phone, I can say each operating system has its pros and cons

IPhone: big fan on how you can grant apps to only run on WiFi and being able to play music through USB in a car is so nice.

Android: customization

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone and this being my first Android phone, I can say each operating system has its pros and cons

IPhone: big fan on how you can grant apps to only run on WiFi and being able to play music through USB in a car is so nice.

Android: customization

Yeah. I just bought a updated car radio and being able to use one cable to charge and stream is quite nice.

ddorbuck

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
just to add my 2c about how i feel google does it better than apple. I came from a 2014 moto x that with all the google services enabled would give me great traffic alerts for my home to work commute. I have since picked up a iphone 6s+ and a few days ago got stuck in a major traffic jam. The iphone was simply telling me my drive was going to be longer than usual and it did not tell me i was going to be in a 2+ hour delay due to an accident and construction. I know waze will gives this info when you open the app but its not seamless running like my android google services reported (or that i know of). Just having this experience makes me wish i opted for the nexus 6p or 5x.

Wytche

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I've always been an iPhone user since the beginning (except for that brief moment with a Windows phone.. never again). I was pondering a 5x based on reviews I've watched on Youtube but thought I'd wait. Then when I dropped my 6 and it shattered to pieces I realised spending over $1000 on a phone that was so fragile really was kind of silly. Besides I'm not completely satisfied with Apple's customer service and wanted to break free of their ecosystem.

I now have a 5x and I'm quite happy with it. I can use it with my Mac account for email, photos, etc with no problem at all, but the Google system is a lot faster and more efficient.

I don't see me going back to an expensive iPhone any time soon.

PS and another big attraction of the 5X over the iPhone for me was being able to use NFC to pay over the counter everyday using my 5X. Currently for iPhone users here in Australia that is not available.

AKS4

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
It is good to read these comments, as I tend to be in the same boat as the OP. Been an iPhone user since making the jump from the old Moto RAZR days. But the $700 entry price for a new 6s and the new features in Marshmallow have me looking at Android devices, with the 5X being one.

for those that made the switch, how is the phone aesthetically when compared to your old (or newer) iPhones. Does it feel somewhat "good", even with lesser materials, or does it feel like a cheap freebie walmart phone? Is there a mass produced phone you would compare it to for heft/material feel, etc.?

msbxiv

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
I got a Nexus 5x after using an iphone 5 (64GB) for 3 years. I was looking at new iphone 6s with 64 GB but decided to give android a try with a $10 Moto E (2015) running android 5.1. I used the moto e for a week and figured out the OS and the experience was okay for me. So I then got the Nexus 5x and ported the Moto E stuff to it.

Impressions on what android does better: apps work the same for the most part, but google apps are better deployed on android, such as being able to control casts to the chromecast from the lock screen (less important with the fingerprint unlocking, but really great on the moto E). Also, Google Play music streams my library perfectly, and again, can FF from lockscreen or headphone control, where this didn't happen on iphone. Because Play music streams so well, I don't have to have ANY of my music on the Nexus. The big screen is nice, but eats power.

What iphone does better: Podcasts. This is just a mess on android--I can't wait until Play music has built in podcast support. Battery life was better/more predictable on the iphone. I have to do some planning with the Nexus 5x if I'm gonna be out all day (such as turning off bluetooth, location services, and touch feedback to conserve battery life. Calender/contact syncing from the Mac was better on the iphone, but I'm getting used to Google versions. Image stabilization on the nexus 5x in video is BAD. I hope there's a fix for this at some point. Last, I don't like that google didn't include a USB-C to USB-A cable, so I bought one from the play store $14. Not a huge deal, but USB-C is kind of a pain when all my adapters use other flavors of USB.

Bottom line for me--the price was right $379 for the 32GB with free shipping/no sales tax AND $20 BH gift card, AND $20 Best Buy android pay gift card. If I don't like the phone in a year or two, I can sell it for $175-$200 and get something different, and not be out too much $$.

Learning curve on the Moto E was pretty high--I had to hack the phone to use it on T-Mobile (it was a verizon prepaid), and get my stuff onto the phone from a Mac, but going from the Moto E to the Nexus 5x was great, and getting files from the mac onto the Nexus has been fine.

msbxiv

Dec 24, 2015
Visit site
5x feels fine--not cheep at all. Build quality is fine/solid. It's not a deluxe/high end feeling as an iphone, but it costs half as much. It feels better than any of the samsungs I handled and the low end Motos (I didn't try the X--too big for me).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay