My 5X is so slow it is not usable. Thinking of returning unless someone can help.

.jacob

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I "upgraded" to the 5X from a 2014 Moto X as soon as it came out and have been disappointed right from the beginning but lately my phone has become so slow that it's simply unusable. Using imprint to unlock the phone takes 5-7 seconds, scrolling articles in the NYT app or photos on Instragram are absurdly choppy and lagging, pulling down notifications from the top bar can take 4-5 seconds to appear, double tapping the power button to conjure up the camera is a 4+ second wait. Once when using Maps for directions I received a phone call and the phone rang but the Phone app itself couldn't load in time for me actually answer the call. On top of all of this (or maybe because of it) the batter life is atrocious. The phone is an utter joke.

I suspect that there's some app on my phone that works fine in Lollipop but does not play nice in Marshmallow. Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot this without factory wiping my phone and reinstalling everything app by app? There's not an obvious culprit from the memory usage screen:
Screenshot_20151202-110128.jpg

Thanks.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I "upgraded" to the 5X from a 2014 Moto X as soon as it came out and have been disappointed right from the beginning but lately my phone has become so slow that it's simply unusable. Using imprint to unlock the phone takes 5-7 seconds, scrolling articles in the NYT app or photos on Instragram are absurdly choppy and lagging, pulling down notifications from the top bar can take 4-5 seconds to appear, double tapping the power button to conjure up the camera is a 4+ second wait. Once when using Maps for directions I received a phone call and the phone rang but the Phone app itself couldn't load in time for me actually answer the call. On top of all of this (or maybe because of it) the batter life is atrocious. The phone is an utter joke.

I suspect that there's some app on my phone that works fine in Lollipop but does not play nice in Marshmallow. Does anyone know how I can troubleshoot this without factory wiping my phone and reinstalling everything app by app? There's not an obvious culprit from the memory usage screen:
View attachment 208068

Thanks.

I'm sure that you are right otherwise we'd all be complaining of horrendous lag.

How many apps are we talking about?

How often do you power down?

Have you ever wiped the cache partition using the Recovery menu?

.jacob

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I have 101 apps including the system / default apps. I reboot maybe 1x/week. I've never booted in the Recovery menu but I just Googled it and gave it a shot. Cache partition has been cleared.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have 101 apps including the system / default apps. I reboot maybe 1x/week. I've never booted in the Recovery menu but I just Googled it and gave it a shot. Cache partition has been cleared.

Well, at this point we won't be messing with the system apps.

You could test in Safe Mode and see how the device performs. If it is normal, then you definitely know that one or more of the 3rd party apps are causing your lag issue.

How many 3rd party apps do you have?

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Step 1: Factory Reset - Is it quick again? Move on to Step 2. (If it's still dog-slow, RMA it)

Step 2: Add apps one by one, checking performance as you go.

Step 3: Remove the app that causes the phone to take a dump.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Step 1: Factory Reset - Is it quick again? Move on to Step 2. (If it's still dog-slow, RMA it)

Step 2: Add apps one by one, checking performance as you go.

Step 3: Remove the app that causes the phone to take a dump.

+1

I would add that you can do an FDR after disabling the auto restore feature in settings>>>backup and reset. If you don't disable that feature, you run the risk of re-loading the same configuration that is currently problematic.

Also, for some, adding apps one by one is beyond painful. For those folks, consider adding in small batches (3-5 apps at a time?). Document what apps get added and when. When your device destabilizes, it makes retracing your steps (back to a stable state) much easier.

Good luck!

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Facebook has been reported as a problem app. Otherwise, return the phone and find something that works out of the box.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae