Nexus 5x heating up

Geo_Nexus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Update: I called Google today and am getting a replacement device. Hopefully this one is ok. If it happens on my new one, i guess its just something the device does and that I'll have to deal with.

So I just got my 5x earlier today, and it seems that after just a little bit of use it gets kinda warm on and around the fingerprint sensor. Anybody else have this too? Or did I get a bad device? Thanks!

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I just got my 5x earlier today, and it seems that after just a little bit of use it gets kinda warm on and around the fingerprint sensor. Anybody else have this too? Or did I get a bad device? Thanks!
It may be getting warm because of the use and syncing it's doing in the background. Give it a day or two and see if it's still getting warm and/or displaying warning messages about being too hot. Since you just got it I think it's doing a lot of syncing and updating of apps.

How are you liking the 5X?

Geo_Nexus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
It may be getting warm because of the use and syncing it's doing in the background. Give it a day or two and see if it's still getting warm and/or displaying warning messages about being too hot. Since you just got it I think it's doing a lot of syncing and updating of apps.

How are you liking the 5X?

Yea that's true. I haven't been getting any warning messages or anything like that. Just a little warmth. I could just be being a little paranoid about it too lol

So far I really like it. Smooth running, good call quality, and a good build quality. I'm also loving the fingerprint sensor. The only "bad" thing other than the little bit of warmth is that it takes quite a bit of pushing to get my headphone jack to got all the way into the phone. It also takes quite a bit of pulling to get it out.

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
i have had mine for about a week, and sometimes i notice it gets warm around the fingerprint scanner. i have tried to reproduce it ( playing games etc) but cant. it is pretty random. the first time was really hot. if i remember right, wasnt doing anything crazy with it, but since then is bearable. kinda on the fence if i shud RMA it.

N5x on Fi Network here

Geo_Nexus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
i have had mine for about a week, and sometimes i notice it gets warm around the fingerprint scanner. i have tried to reproduce it ( playing games etc) but cant. it is pretty random. the first time was really hot. if i remember right, wasnt doing anything crazy with it, but since then is bearable. kinda on the fence if i shud RMA it.

N5x on Fi Network here

I'm on the fence about that too. I think I'm gonna give it a couple of days and then call the Google Store and see if they think I should return it for a new one, or what.

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Update: I called Google today and am getting a replacement device. Hopefully this one is ok. If it happens on my new one, i guess its just something the device does and that I'll have to deal with.

I decided not to RMA mine, hasnt done the heating up thing since last post (maybe the phone knew i was talking abt it) so gonna keep it. hope ur new one works well

N5x on Fi Network here

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I decided not to RMA mine, hasnt done the heating up thing since last post (maybe the phone knew i was talking abt it) so gonna keep it. hope ur new one works well

N5x on Fi Network here

Phones heat up when they work hard...that means
  • when we initially set them up and they have to sync everything (which for some will take hours)
  • when we are doing processor intensive tasks
  • when our signal is weak and the phone uses more power to make and maintain connections

Also, isn't the Qualcomm PMI8994 Power Management IC (see iFixit) right near the fingerprint sensor? Would that be heating up when the phone is working hard?

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

I just RMA mine as well, did u get ur new one? I don't know if it is just me but, I felt mine wud only heat up on sprint network ( I'm on project fi) T-Mobile and WiFi wud get warm but nothing crazy. sprint was really hot. hoping is a bad CDMA antenna (if that is a real thing) I guess we will see.

Posted via AC app with my N9

Geo_Nexus

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
I just RMA mine as well, did u get ur new one? I don't know if it is just me but, I felt mine wud only heat up on sprint network ( I'm on project fi) T-Mobile and WiFi wud get warm but nothing crazy. sprint was really hot. hoping is a bad CDMA antenna (if that is a real thing) I guess we will see.

Posted via AC app with my N9

Yep, I got mine. It doesn't seem to get as warm as my last one, but it still gets warm. After seeing that, I think it's pretty normal now.

ezzzzz

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I got mine. It doesn't seem to get as warm as my last one, but it still gets warm. After seeing that, I think it's pretty normal now.

thanks for the update, I have had mine for a week now and much better, gets warm while playing games and that's abt it. last one got hot alot.

N5x on Fi Network here

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
I have bought nexus 5x 2days before...I am also facing same problem.... Can u suggest me that shall I proceed for with same one or shall I replace it or is there any other solution.
I bought it from flipkart

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I have bought nexus 5x 2days before...I am also facing same problem.... Can u suggest me that shall I proceed for with same one or shall I replace it or is there any other solution.
I bought it from flipkart

I would use an app that establishes an actual temperature on your phone. What some thing of as hot is warm to others, so dealing with hard numbers would be far more scientific and accurate.

You might also touch base with Google to find out what normal operating temperatures are for the device and then see if your phone's performance falls within normal parameters. If not, then an RMA might be in order.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
i have installed, but what may be the normal temperature? to justify weather its acceptable or not? and what u mean RMA?

I would have to use Google to find out what is considered "normal temperatures."

RMA is a return merchandise authorization--the RMA is a code that tracks your return.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
Discussion is OK..but my problem not yet solved...
One more thing I need to ask
In my phone update status:
Android system update
Waiting to download
This update is 15.7Mb. To continue to download, select a WiFi network
Via WiFi only until 10 july
Update size 15.7Mb

This was the status, I have my WiFi network, it s connected also, working fine, but not downloading,
First update its downloaded around 84mb
This is 2nd but giving this status

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Discussion is OK..but my problem not yet solved...
One more thing I need to ask
In my phone update status:
Android system update
Waiting to download
This update is 15.7Mb. To continue to download, select a WiFi network
Via WiFi only until 10 july
Update size 15.7Mb

This was the status, I have my WiFi network, it s connected also, working fine, but not downloading,
First update its downloaded around 84mb
This is 2nd but giving this status

Have you tried turning off mobile data and rebooting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36