Yellow images in indoor lighting?

wlmsn

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I really like the images my 5X puts out but in indoor lighting only some shots have turned out very yellow. My wife's iphone has a much better white balance on the same shots (although I prefer the quality of the 5X shot outside of the yellow)... not sure if its an issue with my phone or if thats the way the camera skews on indoor lighting.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

The 5X shot - 5xShot.jpg

The iPhone shot - iPhoneShot.jpg

Anyone else experience this? Anything that can be done about it? I know it will annoy the heck out of me going forward.

I've messed around with manual camera and I can get it tweaked a bit in the right direction but I have kids so sometimes I need a quick shot and I don't want to monkey around with manual controls.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I really like the images my 5X puts out but in indoor lighting only some shots have turned out very yellow. My wife's iphone has a much better white balance on the same shots (although I prefer the quality of the 5X shot outside of the yellow)... not sure if its an issue with my phone or if thats the way the camera skews on indoor lighting.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

The 5X shot - View attachment 210526

The iPhone shot - View attachment 210527

Anyone else experience this? Anything that can be done about it? I know it will annoy the heck out of me going forward.

I've messed around with manual camera and I can get it tweaked a bit in the right direction but I have kids so sometimes I need a quick shot and I don't want to monkey around with manual controls.

I'm no photographer, but to me I don't see anything "wrong" with the photos. I do see that they are different, but that's probably just the way the camera software is set.

If it were me, and the color/tone of the pic bothered me, I'd just Snapseed it for a little tonal adjustment.

wlmsn

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm no photographer, but to me I don't see anything "wrong" with the photos. I do see that they are different, but that's probably just the way the camera software is set.

If it were me, and the color/tone of the pic bothered me, I'd just Snapseed it for a little tonal adjustment.

True, I shouldn't imply one is wrong or right but the iPhone shot definitely looks more natural to me. Ironically it seems to go away when I have my back to the light, but not when I'm under it... strange. I remember Michael Fisher describing it as "filtered through sunset gel" in one of his videos... seems like a good description.

Otherwise this camera is amazing, especially outside... just wish the inside shots didn't annoy me so much :(

Last edited:

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
True, I shouldn't imply one is wrong or right but the iPhone shot definitely looks more natural to me. Ironically it seems to go away when I have my back to the light, but not when I'm under it... strange. I remember Michael Fisher describing it as "filtered through sunset gel" in one of his videos... seems like a good description.

Otherwise this camera is amazing, especially outside... just wish the inside shots didn't annoy me so much :(

I like Fisher's reviews....he is usually spot on. :)

wlmsn

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Yea he's probably my favorite too, although he seems to like the Moto X camera more than me... I wasn't a fan of that one at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt