Anyone else's Nexus 5X battery life suck?

tim k

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Mine was great until the last month or so. It's been lousy since. First I had a bluetooth bug which I learned was due to Weatherbug (also I've read the same bug is present in the Gas Buddy app) keeping Bluetooth running constantly. I uninstalled that and things improved, however my phone simply does not stop running background processes. Even over night. There is just no Doze going on. Google play services and Android OS are typically top battery users, but not to an extreme. Usually just 7-8% each. I used to go 14-15hrs and still have 30% battery or more, but now after about 12-13 hours I am in low battery warning territory.

I've tried clearing cache and shutting off lots of permissions. I've removed a bunch of apps too but I'm not getting anywhere yet. I'm thinking about rooting solely to install Better battery stats like I did in the old days to see if it will give me a clue as to what is causing the drain. I have a feeling that something is causing play services to run....a location update or something....but I don't know if BBS will even be able to identify the app that is requesting location data or if it just shows up as Play services running.

Frustrating.

tim k

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
For reference, you can see that my phone is constantly waking up to do something.... even when it's sitting on the counter overnight.

Screenshot_20160212-075734.jpg

Screenshot_20160213-091153.jpg

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys, I think I will get this checked out. I've attached a couple of screenshots from a few minutes ago for your delectation.

I don't have any battery issues myself. Facebook and Facebook messenger have been reported to be memory and battery hogs on other devices. Have you tried uninstalling those to see if there is an improvement?

Smcmsgs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
4 days is beyond impressive.

I charge every night--there is no reason not to. You may get through the following day(s) just fine but what if you can't get to a charger when you want to? Maybe it's the worry-wort in me or the fact that where I live there are lots of trees and power outages are somewhat common, but I prefer to have as much juice as possible at all times.

Does anyone recall the power outage in 2003 that hit the midwest and northeast? I think our area was out of power for maybe 3 days....people freaked because they couldn't put gas into their cars, their phones died, and eventually I think even the cell towers didn't work. I was using a NEXTEL at the time and was able to use PTT all through the outage....those were the days :)

Smcmsgs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My Nexus 5x battery life is horrible.... by 3pm each day the battery is almost drained. I have been stuck in areas with no way to recharge it a few times. I bought the phone based on reviews saying the battery life was phenomenal.. not true! I have changed the settings to try to save battery life, turned the phone off/on, and the problem is as bad as ever

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I never saw a review saying battery life on a 5x was phenomenal. I turn my phone off at night and usually start it again around 5 a.m. I used it all day and in the evening it will be at about 80% and I charge it before I turn it off and go to bed.

Ondrej Rosypal

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I went gradually down from the solid 4.5 hours of SOT when I bought it to the current 3.9 or so. Not terrible esp. considering the fast charge but I do have to recharge during the day and that's enough to make me unhappy.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I went gradually down from the solid 4.5 hours of SOT when I bought it to the current 3.9 or so. Not terrible esp. considering the fast charge but I do have to recharge during the day and that's enough to make me unhappy.

Yeah, this is something that annoyed me about the Nexus as well.

persim

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
My 5X battery life isn't horrible but it is definitely not what I was expecting. I am an extremely light user and was able to get 3-4 days out of my Moto G 1st gen. The 5X only gets 1-2 days. While I understand the hardware in the 5X is much more power intensive than the Moto G, was thinking I could get 2-3 days at least with the bigger battery and doze.

Am starting to think doze is not turning on. My battery charts look like a straight 45 degree angle going down. My understanding of doze would be that a chart would show the line leveling off a little overnight when it turned on but I still get the same 45 degree looking line. I lose 10% every night without fail.

The phone is primarily in a poor signal area. While my past Moto and Samsung phones were all able to keep about -95 - -105 dBm, my past LG phones including this Nexus 5X get -105 - -120 dBm. I thought maybe LG had improved their radios since I last tried the LG Optimus G.

Does poor signal strength keep doze from working properly?

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
My 5X battery life isn't horrible but it is definitely not what I was expecting. I am an extremely light user and was able to get 3-4 days out of my Moto G 1st gen.
A Moto G 1st Gen. is what I currently have. My wife has a 3rd Gen. Both have unbelievable run time. I admit it: I'm spoiled. After fighting with my first smart phone, an HTC Sensation 4G, over battery life, these Moto Gs have been a breath of fresh air.

I do not want to go back to run time hell :(

The 5X only gets 1-2 days. While I understand the hardware in the 5X is much more power intensive than the Moto G, was thinking I could get 2-3 days at least with the bigger battery and doze.
An on-line colleague of mine has a new 5x and he's getting about 1-1/2 days with "fairly intensive" use. (New toy.) He estimates he'll get 2-3 with normal use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool