Anyone else's Nexus 5X battery life suck?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
My 5X battery life isn't horrible but it is definitely not what I was expecting. I am an extremely light user and was able to get 3-4 days out of my Moto G 1st gen. The 5X only gets 1-2 days. While I understand the hardware in the 5X is much more power intensive than the Moto G, was thinking I could get 2-3 days at least with the bigger battery and doze.

Am starting to think doze is not turning on. My battery charts look like a straight 45 degree angle going down. My understanding of doze would be that a chart would show the line leveling off a little overnight when it turned on but I still get the same 45 degree looking line. I lose 10% every night without fail.

The phone is primarily in a poor signal area. While my past Moto and Samsung phones were all able to keep about -95 - -105 dBm, my past LG phones including this Nexus 5X get -105 - -120 dBm. I thought maybe LG had improved their radios since I last tried the LG Optimus G.

Does poor signal strength keep doze from working properly?

The phone will use _some_ battery at night. Doze doesn't put the phone permanently to sleep, it just regulates how often apps can wake it up.

Poor cell signal will certainly kill battery.

If you go into Settings/Battery and then tap on the graph, you will get some more info including a line which shows how much the phone is actually awake, take a look at that...

persim

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The phone will use _some_ battery at night. Doze doesn't put the phone permanently to sleep, it just regulates how often apps can wake it up.

Poor cell signal will certainly kill battery.

If you go into Settings/Battery and then tap on the graph, you will get some more info including a line which shows how much the phone is actually awake, take a look at that...

Screenshot_20160615-124122.jpg

Shouldn't the line level off a little when doze is supposed to be activated overnight?

Or do I have basically no apps coming on overnight and doze has nothing to do? Guess this would make the poor signal strength the culprit.

Last edited:

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 230109

Shouldn't the line level off a little when doze is supposed to be activated overnight?

Or do I have basically no apps coming on overnight and doze has nothing to do? Guess this would make the poor signal strength the culprit.

Do you see the line that says "Awake" with some little green bars below it? That shows that your phone actually is asleep for most of the time.

[edit]: And of course, to operate as a _phone_ the cellular radio has to be on all the time. I would certainly expect the [yellow] signal being shown to affect your battery.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 230109

I can leave mine all night and lose around 3 percent, and yes the line is leveled off. Something is eating your battery and it could be that yellow and orange cell signal

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 230109

You realize you're looking at an estimation stretched out over a projected four days of use, right? With your phone sleeping as much as it does, you're not going to see leveling off because there's nothing to level off from. It's going to hit zero eventually, and the steady drop will look exactly as it looks on your screen. If you look at just a day's use - the dark green, for example - you'll see that your phone used 14% battery. If you stretch that day across the whole graph, your line would change from a 45 degree angle to something more like a 20 degree angle. But it would still show no leveling off, because it's already showing minimal activity.

I think your battery is fine.

persim

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
You realize you're looking at an estimation stretched out over a projected four days of use, right? With your phone sleeping as much as it does, you're not going to see leveling off because there's nothing to level off from. It's going to hit zero eventually, and the steady drop will look exactly as it looks on your screen. If you look at just a day's use - the dark green, for example - you'll see that your phone used 14% battery. If you stretch that day across the whole graph, your line would change from a 45 degree angle to something more like a 20 degree angle. But it would still show no leveling off, because it's already showing minimal activity.

I think your battery is fine.

I understand the difference between the green and grey. Probably should have shown a pic from when it was closer to 0 than right after a charge.

What it really came down to was I thought 10-12% loss overnight was really too much when the phone was doing nothing.

Guess I should really be upset at the poor signal strength of LG antennas. Was able to keep much better strength with my previous Samsung and Moto phones compared to the LG phones I have had. I'm remembering now why I stopped buying LG but the Fi 5X deal was too good to pass up.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Guess I should really be upset at the poor signal strength of LG antennas. Was able to keep much better strength with my previous Samsung and Moto phones compared to the LG phones I have had. I'm remembering now why I stopped buying LG but the Fi 5X deal was too good to pass up.
Hmmm... I was wondering about that. Traditionally, Motorola phones have done the best with signal acquisition and retention. My first smartphone, an HTC Sensation 4G, was "ok." I was wondering how LG phones did.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I understand the difference between the green and grey. Probably should have shown a pic from when it was closer to 0 than right after a charge.

What it really came down to was I thought 10-12% loss overnight was really too much when the phone was doing nothing.

I am a recent Motorola deserter and it's one of the little things I've noticed I don't like about this phone. The poor thing is always sitting at 1 or even 0 bars!

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am a recent Motorola deserter and it's one of the little things I've noticed I don't like about this phone. The poor thing is always sitting at 1 or even 0 bars!
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. These "signal strength" indicators aren't consistent in their readings across even models from the same manufacturer, much less across brands. The question is: Does it acquire and hold service reliably? From what I read elsewhere, earlier today, LG phones tend to do well in this respect.

I sometimes wish manufacturers would replace those verkakte "signal strength" meters with an icon that simply showed one of three conditions: A check-mark if the signal was fine, a question-mark if it was marginal and an "X" if it was too poor to use or non-existent.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. These "signal strength" indicators aren't consistent in their readings across even models from the same manufacturer, much less across brands. The question is: Does it acquire and hold service reliably? From what I read elsewhere, earlier today, LG phones tend to do well in this respect.

I sometimes wish manufacturers would replace those verkakte "signal strength" meters with an icon that simply showed one of three conditions: A check-mark if the signal was fine, a question-mark if it was marginal and an "X" if it was too poor to use or non-existent.

I use an app called Network Signal Info to get more information than I ever wanted about signal strength. If you're curious about how strong your signal actually is, it's pretty useful. Far more informative than simple bars. :)

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing you are looking for something more like this:
Screenshot_20160618-083547.jpg

Granted, my 5X has extremely light use, SOT is about 15 minutes. As others have stated, I'm guessing much of your issue is related to the poor signal. But even with the light use, you can at least see the curves in the graph from when I've used the phone

persim

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 230354

Granted, my 5X has extremely light use, SOT is about 15 minutes. As others have stated, I'm guessing much of your issue is related to the poor signal. But even with the light use, you can at least see the curves in the graph from when I've used the phone

Yes that is what I was expecting. My use mirrors yours with SOT. Your graph has an estimated 5 days left even at 67%. I can't even get a 5 day estimate right after a charge. The key difference appears to be the strong signal vs my pretty poor one. If I used the phone more it would probably be more of an issue but it really isn't that big a deal. Was just envisioning something more like of your graph.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
View attachment 230354

How do you make this happen? You said that you are a light user but do you have anything disabled or limited? I'm more of a casual user and I have never had that much estimated time left. At least when I had the 5x. Trying it again with hopefully better results.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I have no games, I don't stream music or videos. I'm mostly deaf so I don't accept phone calls and rarely place phone calls. I do my surfing on the web. I do not use social media. I have excellent cell coverage since I live downtown.

My cellular service is unlimited phone and messaging in U.S./Mexico/Canada. It's $5.50 USD a month but the cellular data usage is limited to 300Mb. So, I shut off cellular data and just surf the web and get email when I have WiFi covered.

I got up at 5:30 this morning. It's 1:15 p.m. now. My SOT is just under 5 minutes. Android estimates I have seven days left.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
How do you make this happen? You said that you are a light user but do you have anything disabled or limited? I'm more of a casual user and I have never had that much estimated time left. At least when I had the 5x. Trying it again with hopefully better results.

Nothing is turned off or disabled, Bluetooth, WiFi, location services are all on. It has a Project Fi SIM card, so I have Signal Spy running to show me which network I'm connected to. Probably the big reason my battery life looks so good is that, other than checking for notifications and doing a few things on the phone occasionally, it has sat on my desk at home the last couple of days.

It is worth noting that I'm running the Android N beta on my 5X -- not sure if that makes a difference.

Goosinurwife

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
i found sending and recevin messges on kik or any type messnger on this phone cmpletely drains the battery down to nothing almost instantly i dont know why :(

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
i found sending and recevin messges on kik or any type messnger on this phone cmpletely drains the battery down to nothing almost instantly i dont know why :(

I'm guessing the apps aren't properly optimized for Marshmallow. There are a few apps that have caused high battery drain on phones running Marshmallow -- some have been fixed but it still seems to be an issue for some apps. Among other things, these apps so aggressively check for updates that they prevent the phone from using Doze.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I have no games, I don't stream music or videos. I'm mostly deaf so I don't accept phone calls and rarely place phone calls. I do my surfing on the web. I do not use social media. I have excellent cell coverage since I live downtown.

My cellular service is unlimited phone and messaging in U.S./Mexico/Canada. It's $5.50 USD a month but the cellular data usage is limited to 300Mb. So, I shut off cellular data and just surf the web and get email when I have WiFi covered.

I got up at 5:30 this morning. It's 1:15 p.m. now. My SOT is just under 5 minutes. Android estimates I have seven days left.

Are you also on Android N, or Marshmallow? Your time sounds great too, but I can't help but wonder.

Nothing is turned off or disabled, Bluetooth, WiFi, location services are all on. It has a Project Fi SIM card, so I have Signal Spy running to show me which network I'm connected to. Probably the big reason my battery life looks so good is that, other than checking for notifications and doing a few things on the phone occasionally, it has sat on my desk at home the last couple of days.

It is worth noting that I'm running the Android N beta on my 5X -- not sure if that makes a difference.

Thank you for answering, that makes sense.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Android N beta 4. I have a horrible habit of forgetting previous OS as I move on but as I recall my battery experience was better with Nexus 5x than Nexus 5.

danny nichols

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I will say following some of the tips they have on the Google help page has extended my battery life, my phone lasts from 7 am to around 9 pm without a charge with some pretty decent usage. (clash of clans, constant texts an emails, snapchat which is the biggest battery monger btw, only use it a maybe 10 times throughout the day and takes 28% alone.) ive actually just started turning on battery save mode as soon as I unplug in the mornings and I can get two days easy. just have to deal with everything not being as pretty an smooth but I will say that it operates faster when it is on.:cool: