Delayed gmail

cmorgan13

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
I had this exact problem. Had to create an AC account just so I can help you lol. Gmail would only pull down emails if I went into the app. This is because of "Doze". Marshmallows sleep battery save feature. To fix this (i have Nexus6) I went to settings, battery, select the three dots in upper right corner, select battery optimization, select the drop down under " not optimized" select all apps. Located gmail app and select it to be "not optimized". Emails now come in automatically and i havnt noticed any battery issues. Still get same battery usage that i did before ymmv.

Good luck!!

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I had this exact problem. Had to create an AC account just so I can help you lol. Gmail would only pull down emails if I went into the app. This is because of "Doze". Marshmallows sleep battery save feature. To fix this (i have Nexus6) I went to settings, battery, select the three dots in upper right corner, select battery optimization, select the drop down under " not optimized" select all apps. Located gmail app and select it to be "not optimized". Emails now come in automatically and i havnt noticed any battery issues. Still get same battery usage that i did before ymmv.

Good luck!!

Doze doesn't seem to affect my Gmail app and I didn't do any customizing to the optimization settings....but all my Gmail traffic is forwarded to Gmail via Yahoo and Hotmail (I don't pull it into Gmail)

cmorgan13

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Maybe pull was the wrong wording. I did not do any optimizing either but when I upgraded to Marshmallow I was no longer getting gmail notifications at all. Unless I opened the app and Pulled down on the interface to refresh (as one does). Then the Emails would come into the gmail app and I could see them. Once I did the "Doze" fix emails\notifications happen automatically now without me having to go into the app just as it did pre-marshmallow. what this fix does is keeps doze from putting gmail to sleep and prevent it from getting new emails.

this is just what worked for me. I did this fix back in early December. and havnt had a problem since.

Edit: PS I too have Multiple Email accounts forwarding to my gmail account...not sure if this is a symptom but since you mentioned it.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been having issues with emails pushing correctly on my Moto G 2015 ever since it got it's 6.0 update. I know this is a Nexus 5X thread but I ran into this as I was trying to find a fix. And as an FYI, I have not made any changes to my phone/Gmail settings since the 6.0 update.

eaccentsac

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I've been having issues with emails pushing correctly on my Moto G 2015 ever since it got it's 6.0 update. I know this is a Nexus 5X thread but I ran into this as I was trying to find a fix. And as an FYI, I have not made any changes to my phone/Gmail settings since the 6.0 update.

Consider exempting the Gmail app from the Battery Optimization screen as @cmorgan13 has done to resolve this issue.

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Things seem to be fine if the phone is in use, etc. I think when I get delays is when phone is idle so definitely a Doze issue. Doesn't seem to matter if it's forwarded emails or not. Not an issue on my nexus 10 running Jelly Bean.

veritas_vincit

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Nexus 6 and what I did, until further resolution by Google, is to install Outlook for Notifications only, but still I access my emails with Gmail.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Interesting - Gmail on Nexus 5x had been fine until about 2 days ago but is now not reliably getting Push notifications. I guess a server side issue with Google Cloud Messaging (which is supposed to bypass Doze).

Excluding Gmail from battery optimisation allows it to hold a network connection during Doze which seems to be the workaround until Google sort out the Cloud messaging service.

Fonfano

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
Thank you a thousand times to you guys and especially cmorgan13

It worked fine on my Xperia Z3 with marshmallow. I guessed it was something relating to marshmallow and battery saving but I never found what to do.

II am finally able to receive email on time again !

Thank you

Last edited:

chuckh1958

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Not me. I've been having problems intermittently on my LG G3 running Lollipop 5.0.1, not rooted. Most of the time I get notifications for gmail right away but sometimes they are delayed as much as 12 hours. It just happened to me again yesterday. I can see that the email was sent at 8am but the notification didnt happen come for over 12 hours.

mjh047s

Aug 14, 2017
Visit site
Not me. I've been having problems intermittently on my LG G3 running Lollipop 5.0.1, not rooted. Most of the time I get notifications for gmail right away but sometimes they are delayed as much as 12 hours. It just happened to me again yesterday. I can see that the email was sent at 8am but the notification didnt happen come for over 12 hours.

Anyone figure this out yet? I just go an LG G6 a couple weeks ago and sometimes my Gmail comes through instantaneously and sometimes I experience long delays. Never had this problem with my old S6...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12