From 6P to 5X (Yes, I'm that guy)

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the 6P came out I wanted one. I must have placed 10 of them in the Play Store cart, only to empty it. I did manage to order 3 of them, but cancelled the order before they shipped. Earlier this month, I said, "Heck with it! I'm getting this phone!" They had the gold one on sale for $50 off, so I did it. After a week solid using it, I really really dug it. It was a great phone and ran great, but this nagging feeling kept kicking me in the back of my mind. I paid $530.19 for it, and only planned on using it as a weekend phone or if I needed a hotspot.

This is not an iPhone vs Android debate. I learned a few years ago that I needed both in order to be happy. I have an iPhone 6S Plus that I carry as my daily phone and love it. I won't get rid of it, but Apple's hotspot sucks. Always has, that's why even when I am carrying an iPhone, I still have an Android as a backup.

Anyway, last week I decided to send back the 6P. It was just too much money to leave laying around the house not hardly using it. Also, I really didn't need a phablet as a weekend/hotspot device. But I still needed an Android phone with a nanoSIM. (I destroyed a LG G2 with one of those SIM card adaptors, so I won't go for two different sized SIM phones.)

So, I was back in the market for a nanoSIMed Android phone. I couldn't find anything I wanted. Nothing. After talking to myself, and looking as all the reviews, it just seemed like I should try a 5X. I found a new-to-me Nexus 5X on Swappa at a reasonable price. Leaving $290 laying around is better than $500, so I picked it. So far I am really glad I did. This phone's awesome. I've only had it a couple of days, but so far, I like it! Dare I say, I like it better than the 6P? I really do. It's a perfect weekend phone for me and I can see me keeping it for at least the next year. If I do, that'll be the longest I've owned an Android phone since the Bionic that I still have.

So that's my story. If you care, I've tried many many other Android phones. Heck you probably have seen me in the other sections of these forums with those phones if you ventured in them.

fireidiot

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey I did the same think too. I needed a personal phone and went to the 6P and found I had issues with the phone when it's propped on my shoulder. I eventually sent it back. I'm rocking the 5X now and I love it. Sure it has a couple of features that the 6P and my LG V10 dont, but that doesn't matter to me.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I was in a similar situation. I needed a handset for part time use. Didn't see the value in buying a 6P for that. After using the 5X for a few weeks, I enjoyed it so much I bought a 6P to replace my primary handset.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I have had three 6ps (I'm writing this on one) as a primary and I have gotten rid of them all. The one I have now is being returned after my 5x comes tomorrow since I'm in the 15 day return period. I had a 5x for a week and returned it thinking I needed to just buck up due to the better specs on the 6p. However, I loved how the 5x felt and I loved using it and I realized it has some of the same specs as my iPhone 6s plus had. I regretted sending it back and second guessed myself but waited too late to cancel the 6p after ordering. I am staying with the 5x. I switched from iOS in the fall with my first 6p and will not go back. I would love to stay with these Nexus phones and the 5x size is what I love.

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad you like your new 5X.

It's really a nice device, and you'll get all the updates, since it's a Nexus! :)

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Me too. Went 6P > 5X > 6P > 5X. Eventually gave in and admitted I didn't need a bigger phone. 5X is perfect for me as I carry phones in my front pocket. If the 6P wasn't quite so tall I would've kept it as it was almost perfect.

wilmah

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I have both- the 5x was the second one I got after having the 6p for a few months. I love them both- and am unsure if ill keep both. I love the snappiness, battery life, and screen of the 6p but prefer the size of the 5x. If only there were an amalgamation of them both. I would be fine with either one really- I'll hop back and fourth between the two before I decide which to keep.

dirtyjudo

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
At one point I had the dream combo. Nexus 6p, Nexus 5x and the Huawei watch. I ended up returning the watch and giving my wife the 6p. I guess I'm happy with my Microsoft band and 5x. The camera does have that HDR lag but it does not bother me like the 6p's weight and size.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I get it. If the 5X was my only phone, ID have kept the 6P. However, it's not and I'm very happy with the 5X. Very!
Yes. As much as the 6p is a beast(as in size and performance, but in this case, size), it's a superior phone. Had LG bumped up the specs just a bit, it wouldn't be an issue. The only knock I have against the 6p is the size, but that's not enough to keep from going back.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
BTW, in case you all were wondering, Google will allow you to return the phone within 15 days, even if you flip flop three times like I did. Enabling the addiction, Google is.

Bonovox72

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Can I ask you about the 5X?? How is the speed,battery life etc?? I read alot of complaints about lag and poor battery life etc and slow camera. What's it like for you?? I am debating to get one or not

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
No lag. Ran great, but the guy that sold it to me screwed me, so I gave it back to him and he refunded my PayPal account. I haven't gotten another one yet because I have a Droid Turbo 2 that I've been using. I can say that the Turbo 2 is not as good as the Nexus 5X at all, but the screen size of the Nexus 5X was starting to get to me. Here's my run down of it:

Screen - Bright enough to use outside, but too small for my aging eyes that are use to 5.5"+ screens
Battery - About what you'd expect from a small device with a small battery. It'd get me through half the day, but I'm a heavy user. It was decent, but didn't last as long as the Turbo 2. Of course the Turbo 2 has a 3700 mAh battery, and I still kill it after a day of work.
Speed - Fast as hell. I do know all about Android lag, but there was no lag with the Nexus 5X. I have heard people complain, but I never complained.
Camera - As for speed, I don't know. It was like all other cameras. Pictures were good quality. That's all I cared about.

Do I plan on getting another? I don't know. It was a great phone size and all and I really liked it, but the screen size was always the problem. I might if I run into a good deal, but for now I just don't know. Now you got me thinking, I haven't checked Swappa lately. Time to go look and see if there's a good 5X for sale.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Can I ask you about the 5X?? How is the speed,battery life etc?? I read alot of complaints about lag and poor battery life etc and slow camera. What's it like for you?? I am debating to get one or not

From one that flip flopped from a 5x to 6p twice, I'd suggest the 6p. The 5x does lag terribly, the battery life is fair and the camera is slow. Spend the extra money on the 6p. It's much better.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just sold my second 6P and bought another 5X. The 6P is great, but it's too big for me. If the screen was .2" bigger on the 5X, it'd be the perfect phone. As it is, the Nexus 5X is the best phone $300 bucks can buy.

psteve2005

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Mine runs almost perfectly. Hopefully the March update I've been reading about makes it better still.

Loving the look of the black S7 regular but it seems daft to go back to a phone that won't always be up to date, regardless of any other benefits it might bring.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc