Can the Nexus 5x work on Verizon Prepaid after use on another carrier?

A

AC Question

I have a new Nexus 5x is used for one month on T-Mobile's prepaid $40 plan, and thought I'd see how coverage was at work and home with Verizon. Switched at a corporate store two days ago, ported the number, and was able to make calls within half an hour, but . . . yesterday realized no one could reach me, and I couldn't call voicemail; "The person you are calling cannot accept calls at this time; we are sorry for the inconvenience." Tech support said the number port from T-Mobile hadn't come through until ten minutes before I called, and could take up to 4 hours for propagate across Verizon's network.

I tried again this morning and had the same message. Talked to tech support again, and they said everything was set up correctly, but their network was seeing the phone as a non-compatible device. When I explained it had been used on T-Mobile, she said that was the problem; once it had been used on another carrier the network would continually kick it off. The only resolution was to use another device OR change to a contract (post-paid) plan!

Does this sound correct? No one knew to tell me before-hand that a previously used 5x wouldn't work on prepaid, but now they're saying it will only if you go on contract!