Nexus 5x and Verizon

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I current have a Moto X Pure and everything works fine with Verizon. I got a Nexus 5x to play around with and it appears that I can't use the My Verizon app or Voice Mail app even though I can with my Moto X Pure. Is that correct? I figure d out I can just use the web access to get my Verizon acct info but it is still correct that you have to switch to basic voicemail to get it to work correctly on the Nexus 5x?

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
That sucks. I guess I just assumed since they worked with my Moto X Pure it wouldn't be an issue with the Nexus. Looks like Verizon haven't completely warmed up to unlocked phones.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Did you have to downgrade to basic voicemail then?

I went into my VZW settings, but I couldn't find anywhere to do that. I do not sign up for Visual Voicemail. Mine is because I moved from iOS to Android. I probably need to call Verizon, but I'm just not interested. I know that VMail doesn't work on the 6P or the 5X for Verizon.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
So basically is you have a missed call and get a garbley gook text you can just dial *86 and get your voicemail? I plan on switching between phones and really don't want to go to basic voicemail if the Nexus is the only phone not to support visual voice mail.

ooltewahvol

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So basically is you have a missed call and get a garbley gook text you can just dial *86 and get your voicemail? I plan on switching between phones and really don't want to go to basic voicemail if the Nexus is the only phone not to support visual voice mail.
Could you just use Google Voice instead?

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Does Google voice work well if your switching between phones with the same SIM?

GVoice follows your number. You tell it your cellular number in the settings on the GVoice website and then it doesn't matter what you do with the SIM card. As long as your cellular number is active, it will ring that number. I use GVoice for my work cell. This way I can turn on and off my AT&T Go Phone when I don't need it, but still get calls to my GVoice. I just switch cellular numbers in the settings to my personal cell when I'm not using my GoPhone account.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Your GV number can be forwarded to multiple phones as well. I carry multiple handsets each with its own number. Using GV it doesn't matter which phone I have, it always rings through to whatever phone I'm carrying.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Can someone point to a guide on how to set up Google Voice on Verizon? Thx

Not sure the question. Google Voice is setup at Google Voice website. You plug in your VZW phone number during the setup and it'll ring on your phone when someone calls it.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I guess I should say how to set up using Google Voice's voicemail instead of Verizon.

I don't think Google's Voicemail is compatible with VZW. At least that's what it says when I try to setup Google Voice. It says Google Voicemail is not compatible with my carrier.

cybertec69

Banned
Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes it is, but only the Nexus 6 which is a Motorola device. I have the Google Nexus 6 "not the Verizon one" and it's unlocked and rooted and Verizon visual voice mail works like a charm. On the LG Nexus 5X it does not work, hopefully in the near future it might, but I doubt it very much.

Posted via the Android Central App

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
There is a way to use your Verizon number with Google Voice and have your calls forwarded to Google's visual voicemail service instead of Verizon.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
There is a way to use your Verizon number with Google Voice and have your calls forwarded to Google's visual voicemail service instead of Verizon.

Yup, and when you go onto the Google Voice website to set it up as your forwarding number for voicemail it tells you how to do it.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you all are referring to. Are you talking about using Google voice mail with your Google Voice number (when forwarded to your cell phone)?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol