Best place to buy a Nexus 5X today 4-2016?

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
After much research, I've decided to buy a Nexus 5X (unlocked-I'm using Ting at this time) for my 1st smart phone. Any suggestion on the best place to buy one today, considering cost and service? Thanks to all that reply. Charlie

crucialcolin

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Right now the best place to get is directly from Google through the Project fi discount $199.99 16 GB/ $249.99 32GB. You just have to activate the phone on Project Fi then you can cancel before your billed for service.

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Right now the best place to get is directly from Google through the Project fi discount $199.99 16 GB/ $249.99 32GB. You just have to activate the phone on Project Fi then you can cancel before your billed for service.

I just jumped on the project fi deal for a 32gb N5X. When you say cancel before billed do you mean before activating? The project fi website states once activated you are billed for the first month. Will they pro-rate if cancelled within 24-48 hours of activation? How does it work?

Thanks!

Last edited:

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't really matter. I just bought one from amazon. 6 month financing and I can keep my current prepaid (selectel) Verizon towers and don't have to deal with spotty sprint and t-mobile coverage.

bbqwings2

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
B&h had a good deal for the nexus 5x earlier this week. I'm not sure if they still have it though

From my AT&T Note 5 paired with my larger Asus Zenwatch 2

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I can keep my current prepaid (selectel) Verizon towers and don't have to deal with spotty sprint and t-mobile coverage.

The Fi discount phones aren't locked to Fi... You just gave to activate the service. You can cancel and you'll get most all of the initial month's service fee back.

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. So for Project fi you just have to sign up. Order Nexus 5X and pay for it. Then a day or 2 after I receive it and activate it I can cancel the Project fi"s service and keep the Nexus 5X and only pay for 2 days of service? Do I have this right? Thanks Charlie

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey I'm jumping on this bandwagon & ready to order a 32GB 5X from Google, but it's confusing.

If I buy it while signing up for Fi, I get 150 off the price, instantly.
If I buy it & don't sign up for Fi up front, the price is 418 - but - after I activate Fi service (within 30 days, which I'll do) I'll get 150 credited back within 1-2 weeks.

To compound those options, I want insurance because I'm a klutz. But naturally there are 2 types of insurance: Fi insurance which is a monthly cost, or Nexus Protect which is a one-time cost of 69. I want to pay the one time fee, but it seems like I can only do that if I pay the 418 price up front for the phone. I'd rather buy the phone for less up front & not *hope* I get the 150 back, but I don't see anywhere that it says whether or not you can change the insurance option you've chosen.

I know everyone doesn't do insurance on their phones, but does anyone see anything I'm missing?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hey I'm jumping on this bandwagon & ready to order a 32GB 5X from Google, but it's confusing.

If I buy it while signing up for Fi, I get 150 off the price, instantly.
If I buy it & don't sign up for Fi up front, the price is 418 - but - after I activate Fi service (within 30 days, which I'll do) I'll get 150 credited back within 1-2 weeks.

To compound those options, I want insurance because I'm a klutz. But naturally there are 2 types of insurance: Fi insurance which is a monthly cost, or Nexus Protect which is a one-time cost of 69. I want to pay the one time fee, but it seems like I can only do that if I pay the 418 price up front for the phone. I'd rather buy the phone for less up front & not *hope* I get the 150 back, but I don't see anywhere that it says whether or not you can change the insurance option you've chosen.

Yep.. if you want Protect, you have to go the 'pay full then get the credit' option. I did the deal myself, and stupid me picked the Fi payment option (dunno why). I'd suggest getting Protect. It doesn't cover lost or stolen phones, but from the damage aspect, it's a pretty good deal.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Yep.. if you want Protect, you have to go the 'pay full then get the credit' option. I did the deal myself, and stupid me picked the Fi payment option (dunno why). I'd suggest getting Protect. It doesn't cover lost or stolen phones, but from the damage aspect, it's a pretty good deal.

Yeah, I definitely need insurance. I don't think I've ever had to use insurance but I know me, & I need that peace of mind in case I do something that damages my phone. I don't have tons of money to go buy new phones willy-nilly :p

I'm currently trying to decide which way to go on this. I went to Best Buy last night & bought the phone but not the insurance (their display model was missing & I'd driven 40 mins. in rush hour traffic just to put my hands on the thing). I confirmed Best Buy has no restocking fee, & the phone is on sale there for 349 this week. I took it home & updated it & played with it to decide for sure if I wanted to keep it, & I like it so I ordered a case, screen protector, & some adapters from Amazon that will be here soon.

So my dilemma is: do I go back to Best Buy (a much closer location!) & add their insurance (89 for 2 years) or return the phone & buy from Google now? I think with the discounts from Google it will end up being about 60-100 cheaper, but there's the hassle factor. If I do buy from Google, I plan to get the cheapest Fi service & then cancel it, because I actually want to put the phone on T-Mobile service - but I'd keep the Google insurance.

I hate spending more money than I have to so I'm leaning toward the Google route, but I want to decide today.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. So for Project fi you just have to sign up. Order Nexus 5X and pay for it. Then a day or 2 after I receive it and activate it I can cancel the Project fi"s service and keep the Nexus 5X and only pay for 2 days of service? Do I have this right? Thanks Charlie

That's what I hear at other forums, I'm looking into it myself. I got a g4 new for 200 but debating buying it and just getting a 5x.

Sounds like 249 plus 36 for activating plus one month of service, get phone, cancel, credit back the month of service.

Seems like the same price at bhphoto for more hassle.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aaddron

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I'd buy from the Google Store if possible because it's not anymore expensive and you get Google Store Support as a middle man if anything goes wrong. Fi's support is also great but I'm not sure if they continue to help you if you discontinue service (maybe someone knows for sure). When you buy from anyone else you have to deal directly with LG if you run into any hardware issues which like most manufacturers can range from good to nightmare.

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I returned the phone to Best Buy tonight, because I ordered the phone & Google insurance today. Phone & Fi sim should be here Tues April 26th. It'll be interesting to try the Fi service, I have to keep it long enough to make sure I get the credit back on my account.

Oh, & I gave the wrong price* earlier; in order to also buy the Nexus Connect coverage, the phone is 399 but then you get an instant 50 off, bringing it down to 349. Once you activate Fi service, you get another 150 credited back so the phone ends up being only 199. The 418 I mentioned earlier was the 349 phone plus the Nexus Connect insurance & tax, bringing my up front cost to 418.

*Disclaimer: I suck at math.

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
After much research, I've decided to buy a Nexus 5X (unlocked-I'm using Ting at this time) for my 1st smart phone. Any suggestion on the best place to buy one today, considering cost and service? Thanks to all that reply. Charlie

If you're on Ting now, consider trying Fi. Ting is ONLY Sprint towers, so you'll have at the least the same coverage. However, with the added support for T-Mobile towers with Fi, you'll get expanded coverage. It'll cost a couple $ more, the base plan is $30 + taxes when you include the 1 GB of data but if you don't use much or any data it could drop to $20 + taxes.

I'd buy from the Google Store if possible because it's not anymore expensive and you get Google Store Support as a middle man if anything goes wrong. Fi's support is also great but I'm not sure if they continue to help you if you discontinue service (maybe someone knows for sure). When you buy from anyone else you have to deal directly with LG if you run into any hardware issues which like most manufacturers can range from good to nightmare.

The Fi support folks are VERY nice, and eager to help when you have questions, going as far as asking someone else if they aren't sure. No, you won't get those people if you cancel your Fi service but keep the phone. However, I imagine the other Google folks are just as capable and nice.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Go to google.com/fi and sign up, ordering the 5x in the process. Add device protection as desired, provide the info for the port if you're doing it and click order. Once you get it, make sure you activate it on Fi within 30 days and you keep the phone for $250. The current expiration for the promotion is May 8 I believe.

tadnishida

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Go to google.com/fi and sign up, ordering the 5x in the process. Add device protection as desired, provide the info for the port if you're doing it and click order. Once you get it, make sure you activate it on Fi within 30 days and you keep the phone for $250. The current expiration for the promotion is May 8 I believe.

So there is no way to combine the Fi deal $50 off the Google Store is discounting the 5X?

Hypnotoadd

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it ends up being less if you buy the phone for full price from the Google store, rather than through the Fi store. Then once you activate Fi service, you'll get a 150 credit back.

By my calculations (which could still be wrong, reference my post above) the phone comes to 199 once you get the credit back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm