USB micro to USB c adapter

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I got my adapter to connect my Nexus 5x with an older USB micro cable. It works fine on my old USB to USB micro cables that I used for charging. It works fine on the Power Pack that I carry with me. I haven't been in my car yet so I'm just assuming it will work with my car charger. It charges with my Nexus 5 rapid charger but I don't know if it's rapid charging. I'm not in a big hurry anyway.

With the adapter I can use my USB micro cable to charge my Kindles and by adding that adapter charge my Nexus 5x. I'm guessing the next generation of Kindles will have USB C connectors and the adapters will go in a drawer with all my other obsolete cabling. I still have a half-dozen serial/PS2 adapters sitting in a drawer. I suppose I could throw them away but they've never been used.

The only drawback is the adapter is so gosh-darned tiny. It's much smaller that the plug end of a USB micro cable. On my wish list is an adapter with a ring so it could be attached to a cable with a rubber band.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's also as flimsy as a microUSB connector. Even a PS-2 keyboard connector is stronger (and small enough to use in cellphones) and it was known as the weakest link in the PS-2 chain. It's great that the industry seems to be keeping to the current standard for all phones (right now we're in transition between microUSB and USB-C, but the adapters are plentiful and cheap), but I wish they had standardized on a connector that's designed to take multiple insertions per day.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Rukbat, I read your other post. Repeating yourself doesn't make your complaint any more valid. Me? I never liked the PS2 connector. Rotating the connector to try and find the sweet spot without bending one of the pins was a nuisance.

The serial connector with screws on each end to attach it securely to it's plug was better. Extremely durable. You turned the screws to mate the plug to the connector. Just think how lovely it would be to attach one of those to the bottom of your cell phone. Sure it would take awhile but by golly it would hold. Now, if they made it small enough to be on today's cell phones the screws would be incredibly tiny but who cares.

egdonald

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Or! just wait until USB-C takes over ;) hehe.

I know your pain. I have a 2-pack of the micro-to-C adapters. I keep one in my backpack, and another is connected full-time at my nightstand.
I was thinking about taking some nylon string and using some epoxy glue to make a pseudo-keyring out of it, but not sure if the adapter can handle the thrash with the car-keys and being tossed around with the keys.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, the technological center of the Zapotec world, and none of the Leung-approved adaptors ship to Mexico so I'm getting by with a couple of 2-star rejects. I don't think they can do much harm. One is on my USB A to USB micro charging cable on my desk and the other is on the short cable on my Power Pack. When another one arrives it will go on my car charger.

Amazon is apparently pulling the plug on bad cables.
http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/31/technology/amazon-usb/
http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-threatens-to-banish-anyone-selling-dodgy-usb-c-cables/
http://www.androidcentral.com/amazon-bans-low-quality-usb-type-c-cables

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon