What is this red light on Nexus 5X beside the camera?

A

AC Question

I was cleaning my one month old Nexus 5X with a Falalin cloth (which basically never leaves a scratch) when I noticed this black glass surface beside the camera (see the attached image). I cleaned it but it left scratches very easily. On further inspection, I found that there is a weak red light emitted from here when the camera is on.
What is this thing? And why is the glass surface so weak as to leave scratches when none other surface seems to be effected by my cleaning?

Thanks in advance :)

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I was cleaning my one month old Nexus 5X with a Falalin cloth (which basically never leaves a scratch) when I noticed this black glass surface beside the camera (see the attached image). I cleaned it but it left scratches very easily. On further inspection, I found that there is a weak red light emitted from here when the camera is on.
What is this thing? And why is the glass surface so weak as to leave scratches when none other surface seems to be effected by my cleaning?

There is no attached image

Posted via the Android Central App

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

I also don't think it's glass covering that ,I believe with 90% certainty that it is plastic. My friend has a 5x as well and his is scratched to hell .

u_581

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
Welcome as a new member. :)

It must be the infrared laser focussing aid, the cover of which is plastic. My G4 has one. I doubt that a few scratches would affect it enough to matter.

That must be it. But I don't understand how I can see it if it is infrared? And aren't infrared supposed to be very weak? Like in older phones when we had to hold them together to get infrared transfer to work.
But I suppose these are questions for another forum.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That must be it. But I don't understand how I can see it if it is infrared? And aren't infrared supposed to be very weak? Like in older phones when we had to hold them together to get infrared transfer to work.
But I suppose these are questions for another forum.

They are pretty hard to see ,but not completely invisible. For example if its dark enough or if I catch it right I can see the infrared sensors on my Moto x

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That must be it. But I don't understand how I can see it if it is infrared? And aren't infrared supposed to be very weak?

Well, infrared is just beyond our visible range... I haven't looked at the specs of the emitters, but I would guess that they emit a somewhat broad range that includes a little bit of visible red light as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad