I was cleaning my one month old Nexus 5X with a Falalin cloth (which basically never leaves a scratch) when I noticed this black glass surface beside the camera (see the attached image). I cleaned it but it left scratches very easily. On further inspection, I found that there is a weak red light emitted from here when the camera is on.
    What is this thing? And why is the glass surface so weak as to leave scratches when none other surface seems to be effected by my cleaning?

Thanks in advance
    06-21-2016 03:42 PM
    I was cleaning my one month old Nexus 5X with a Falalin cloth (which basically never leaves a scratch) when I noticed this black glass surface beside the camera (see the attached image). I cleaned it but it left scratches very easily. On further inspection, I found that there is a weak red light emitted from here when the camera is on.
    What is this thing? And why is the glass surface so weak as to leave scratches when none other surface seems to be effected by my cleaning?

Thanks in advance
    There is no attached image

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-21-2016 04:03 PM
    This is the image. Sorry I forgot to attach it previously.

https://postimg.org/image/x8dzlcxav/
    06-21-2016 04:11 PM
    Hi. Sorry I forgot to attach the image. Updating the question in a reply.
    06-21-2016 04:17 PM

What you are seeing is the laser auto focus !

06-21-2016 04:47 PM

Thanks in advance
    I also don't think it's glass covering that ,I believe with 90% certainty that it is plastic. My friend has a 5x as well and his is scratched to hell .

06-21-2016 04:48 PM

Welcome as a new member.

It must be the infrared laser focussing aid, the cover of which is plastic. My G4 has one. I doubt that a few scratches would affect it enough to matter.
    06-21-2016 04:50 PM
    Welcome as a new member.

It must be the infrared laser focussing aid, the cover of which is plastic. My G4 has one. I doubt that a few scratches would affect it enough to matter.
    That must be it. But I don't understand how I can see it if it is infrared? And aren't infrared supposed to be very weak? Like in older phones when we had to hold them together to get infrared transfer to work.
    But I suppose these are questions for another forum.
    06-21-2016 05:21 PM
    That must be it. But I don't understand how I can see it if it is infrared? And aren't infrared supposed to be very weak? Like in older phones when we had to hold them together to get infrared transfer to work.
    But I suppose these are questions for another forum.
    They are pretty hard to see ,but not completely invisible. For example if its dark enough or if I catch it right I can see the infrared sensors on my Moto x

06-21-2016 05:27 PM
    So I'm not the only one
    06-21-2016 06:32 PM
    So I'm not the only one
    Nope!

06-21-2016 07:48 PM
    That must be it. But I don't understand how I can see it if it is infrared? And aren't infrared supposed to be very weak?
    Well, infrared is just beyond our visible range... I haven't looked at the specs of the emitters, but I would guess that they emit a somewhat broad range that includes a little bit of visible red light as well.
    06-24-2016 11:05 AM